The Student Room Group

Do I have an impressive education section of my CV? (Hypothetical)

This is not my real CV yet, I hope to accomplish this within the next eight years. I want to be a solicitor.

EDUCATION
2019-2020 - Bournemouth University
Distinction - LPC

2018-2019 - Bournemouth University
Distinction - GDL/CPE

2014-2018 - The University of Exeter, Tremough, Cornwall
2:1 - BA Politics and International Studies

2016-2017 - Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
Year Abroad - BA Political Science / BA Philosophy

2012-2014 - Unnamed College
ABBc - AS/A level Politics, English Literature and History, AS level English Language

2008-2012 - Unnamed Secondary School
6 A-C and Distinction*-Pass - GCSE and BTEC

WHY ALL THE NEGS?!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hypothetically, yes
Hypothetically, for a solicitor... no not really. Depending on where you want to work as a solicitor, you will most likely need AAB in your A levels (lots of the big firms set this as a minimum target and won't accept you if you don't have it). Also, why Bournemouth for the GDL? And if you know you want to be a solicitor, why not save yourself a lot of money and just do a Law degree?
Reply 3
Original post by infairverona
Hypothetically, for a solicitor... no not really. Depending on where you want to work as a solicitor, you will most likely need AAB in your A levels (lots of the big firms set this as a minimum target and won't accept you if you don't have it). Also, why Bournemouth for the GDL? And if you know you want to be a solicitor, why not save yourself a lot of money and just do a Law degree?

I'd rather study politics rather than give up 3 years of my life to studying law. By big firms do you mean Clifford Chance? I am aiming for firms in my home county of Dorset. So high street firms/county wide firms rather than Allen & Overy, etc. bournemouth is my local uni so I want to go there because I didn't want to spend money on accommodation as I have to fund the GDL and LPC myself..
Original post by Phil Dunphy
I'd rather study politics rather than give up 3 years of my life to studying law. By big firms do you mean Clifford Chance? I am aiming for firms in my home county of Dorset. So high street firms/county wide firms rather than Allen & Overy, etc. bournemouth is my local uni so I want to go there because I didn't want to spend money on accommodation as I have to fund the GDL and LPC myself..

You will be giving up the rest of your life practising law though...why so adverse to 3 years studying it? Yes, if you want to work in Dorset then what you said will probably be fine. I just meant if you read Law at uni you would save yourself the cost of the GDL, also some firms will pay for your GDL/LPC but they're generally the big London ones so I'm not sure about Dorset ones :smile:
Reply 5
You will be giving up the rest of your life practising law though...why so adverse to 3 years studying it? Yes, if you want to work in Dorset then what you said will probably be fine. I just meant if you read Law at uni you would save yourself the cost of the GDL, also some firms will pay for your GDL/LPC but they're generally the big London ones so I'm not sure about Dorset ones :smile:

A politics degree opens up more options. My main aim is to become a journalist, but until I get some experience under my belt them I can't see that being realistic, so law - another passion of mine - will be my kind of back-up career. Also, you can't do a law degree with a year abroad :frown:

Since I am aiming for local firms in Dorset and neighbouring counties opposed to big firms in Canary Wharf, etc. will ABB suffice?
Reply 6
You will be giving up the rest of your life practising law though...why so adverse to 3 years studying it?

Precisely! I'm studying English before hopefully going into law; I want some artistic enrichment as armour against the soul-destroying legal career ahead
Original post by Tuerin
Precisely! I'm studying English before hopefully going into law; I want some artistic enrichment as armour against the soul-destroying legal career ahead

If it's so soul destroying why do it? why??? :eek4:
A politics degree opens up more options. My main aim is to become a journalist, but until I get some experience under my belt them I can't see that being realistic, so law - another passion of mine - will be my kind of back-up career. Also, you can't do a law degree with a year abroad :frown:

Since I am aiming for local firms in Dorset and neighbouring counties opposed to big firms in Canary Wharf, etc. will ABB suffice?

Ok that's fair enough :smile: well I would say aim for AAB still because while I'm not sure about Dorset firms, if the London ones ask for AAB (minimum) you would be best off trying to get AAB so that if you ever decide you would like to try for a big City firm you haven't cut yourself off at the first hurdle :smile:

Original post by Tuerin

That's fair enough, OP just made it sound like he/she didn't really want to study law from the wording was all! I do think if you're certain you want to be a lawyer though you are wasting a fair amount of money on another degree. Saying that I would've loved to study English rather than Law, I just wouldn't have loved the debt afterwards!
Reply 9
Original post by AspiringGenius

Money.

Mwhaha. Mwhaha. Mwhahahahahahahhahahahaha!

:colone:
Original post by AspiringGenius

This is what I don't understand...people in it just for the money shouldn't be doing it
This is what I don't understand...people in it just for the money shouldn't be doing it

That's a value judgement. Why shouldn't I base my career for monetary gain? Who are you to say I 'shouldn't be doing it' for financial reasons? Anyhow, I was half-joking. Believe it or not my reptillian being finds fulfilment in the particularities of law and would take a kind of creative fulfilment from the manipulation of legal articles and wit of courtroom debate. However, I refuse to justify my career choice to you because you disagree with my hypothetical reason for it. It's presumptuous and obnoxious to be so openly judgemental about strangers' lives.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tuerin
That's a value judgement. Why shouldn't I base my career for monetary gain? Who are you to say I 'shouldn't be doing it' for financial reasons? Anyhow, I was half-joking. Believe it or not my reptillian being finds fulfilment in the particularities of law and would take a kind of creative fulfilment from the manipulation of legal articles and wit of courtroom debate. However, I refuse to justify my career choice to you because you disagree with my hypothetical reason for it. It's presumptuous and obnoxious to be so openly judgemental about strangers' lives.

Because in case you hadn't been following the news, the law isn't necessarily the line to go down if you want to be rich anymore...legal aid cuts, jobs being cut all over the place, plus the introduction of apprenticeships/more people studying law because they think it'll guarantee them a well paid job, means it's harder than ever to actually get yourself in. It's near on impossible to get to the Bar and now it's almost equally as hard to get a TC. I'm not saying don't do it for money because it's immoral or anything like that, and there was NOTHING about my post that indicated this, it was a statement which didn't claim that at all. If you're in it for the money there's definitely better professions to go into IMO.So really, it's obnoxious of you to assume I was saying that at all. Nice try though.

In fact, as far as I can see the only premise you could take from my post in relation to what I was replying to would be if you find something soul destroying, don't go into it just for the money. Which I maintain. If I found law soul destroying I wouldn't go into it, I'd go into something else which would be equally profitable but less soul destroying. That's not to do with monetary gain, that's more the fact that I'm sure there are other careers you would make a lot of money in that wouldn't make you miserable. I hated science at school so I didn't choose to go into medicine, where there is potentially a lot of money to be made, for example.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
University of Bournemouth? Bs and Cs at A-Level? I think not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes and no. If you get all those qualifications, wow. Well done! But most employers would be very weary of employing someone who's spent their whole adult life in education. Employers want well rounded people, how many times does a job description say "experience required" on it? A lot! You can have all the qualifications in the world but it doesn't tell the employer you're capable of day-to-day tasks. It says very little about your character other than you like learning.
Reply 15
Original post by Dragonista
Yes and no. If you get all those qualifications, wow. Well done! But most employers would be very weary of employing someone who's spent their whole adult life in education. Employers want well rounded people, how many times does a job description say "experience required" on it? A lot! You can have all the qualifications in the world but it doesn't tell the employer you're capable of day-to-day tasks. It says very little about your character other than you like learning.

I know I need experience too, I was just wondering if my academic goals are impressive or mediocre :smile: Thanks :biggrin:

Original post by JOR2010
University of Bournemouth? Bs and Cs at A-Level? I think not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't mean impressive as in Clifford Chance applicant, I mean for someone aiming for regional firms, etc. I should've mentioned that in the OP.
no it's not impressive at all imho.
Reply 17
Bournemouth
Reply 18
Original post by moritzplatz
no it's not impressive at all imho.

I don't mean impressive as in an applicant for a top legal firm (CC or AO). I mean if I were to apply to regional law firms, etc. What isn't impressive in particular?

Original post by yaboy
Bournemouth

It's the closest uni to study a GDL and LPC at. I have to self fund those courses, so i can't afford accommodation as well.
I don't mean impressive as in an applicant for a top legal firm (CC or AO). I mean if I were to apply to regional law firms, etc. What isn't impressive in particular?

i mean not impressive in general, not related to your specific career path.

A levels are pretty low and the universities are average, at most.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending