The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dumb Economist

5 7 January selected applicants invited, by telephone or email, to return to Cambridge for second interviews

And these schedule are strictly followed by all the colleges.

I was called for re-interview on the 8th, 2 days before the interview...
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
I was called for re-interview on the 8th, 2 days before the interview...

oh..... :tongue:
Rejected medic from downing. Fuarrkk. I can't believe this... I've put so much of my self into this whole thing. Iv really let my parents.. And myself down.... Sigh. I can't even...
Reply 5683
Original post by EyesBegoniaSkies
Rejected medic from downing. Fuarrkk. I can't believe this... I've put so much of my self into this whole thing. Iv really let my parents.. And myself down.... Sigh. I can't even...
You have not let anyone down, and don't let anyone, including yourself, tell you that you have.

I know it's disappointing, especially after all that's happened in the last few weeks, but it will pass. There are other good things out there waiting for you, truly there are.

I'm really sorry to hear that :frown: I know that it's horrible and it probably was a dream of yours. Give yourself a few days to mourn as it's good to clear the head and get as much out of the system as possible. Then try and plan your next moves.

If it really meant something to you, you can always reapply and there's nothing wrong with that. But remember there are so many universities out there that you would be happy and do SO well at that are not Cambridge.

Just keep your chin up, you did SO WELL getting to this stage and you'll do AMAZING in whatever you choose to do! Good luck!
Original post by Internet Troll
The document in the OP says that all decisions MUST be entered into CamSIS by the 25th January. So if Caius don't respond, you should find out on track very soon anyway. Good Luck!

Hi, do you know if that applies to everyone? I've not received anything since my initial pooling letter.
Reply 5686
Original post by jamil78613
Hi, do you know if that applies to everyone? I've not received anything since my initial pooling letter.
It should do, but who knows about the medics? They seem to be a law unto themselves.
Reply 5687
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
Haha I'm pretty confident you will conquer STEP without much trouble at all, seriously. You heard anything from your classmate?

Rejection via Track today.
Reply 5688
Original post by Minerva
It should do, but who knows about the medics? They seem to be a law unto themselves.

I rang Sidney today and there were apparently no open offers made this year...I guess the medic fishes are drowning now :/
Original post by PD1
I rang Sidney today and there were apparently no open offers made this year...I guess the medic fishes are drowning now :/

what.

so you mean to tell me that I and all the other medics were sitting here for the last 18 ****ing days waiting to hear news incase of the small chance of an open offer or being fished...with all dates being ignored etc. and random decisions at random times...ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT NO OPEN OFFERS THIS YEAR?
Reply 5690
Original post by PD1

Original post by badatgow
what.

so you mean to tell me that I and all the other medics were sitting here for the last 18 ****ing days waiting to hear news incase of the small chance of an open offer or being fished...with all dates being ignored etc. and random decisions at random times...ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT NO OPEN OFFERS THIS YEAR?

My friend got given an offer by Sidney Sussex after being pooled by Corpus Christi so I wouldn't panic yet lol.
Reply 5691
Original post by PD1

what.

I can kinda see why they might not have bothered with open offers this year. In the previous two cycles, they gave out 11 open offers altogether but there has only been the one acceptance. Rejection beckons I reckon :s-smilie:
Original post by Ivo
I can kinda see why they might not have bothered with open offers this year. In the previous two cycles, they gave out 11 open offers altogether but there has only been the one acceptance. Rejection beckons I reckon :s-smilie:

Do you mean to say that out of the 11 open offers made only 1 person actually met their offer?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5693
Original post by PD1
:frown:

what.

I agree - it's dire.

Original post by Ivo
I agree :frown:

Original post by jamil78613
Do you mean to say that out of the 11 open offers made only 1 person actually met their offer?
Given the unlikelihood of someone turning down their offer, it would seem so, yes :frown:. In Vet Med it's even worse - in the last five years they've made 3 or 4 open offers a year and no-one has been accepted as a result.
Original post by Minerva
:frown:

I agree - it's dire.

I agree :frown:

Given the unlikelihood of someone turning down their offer, it would seem so, yes :frown:. In Vet Med it's even worse - in the last five years they've made 3 or 4 open offers a year and no-one has been accepted as a result.

I thought an open offer was a guaranteed place you just didn't know which college? What happens to the unconfirmed do they get gap offers?

"In the Summer Pool, priority over Open-Offer-holders is given to Colleges seeking to fill quota places. In the unlikely event of an overshoot in the quota for Medicine or Veterinary Medicine due to too many applicants meeting their offers, the underwriting College will admit any Open-Offer-holder unallocated after the Summer Pool."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
I thought an open offer was a guaranteed place you just didn't know which college? What happens to the unconfirmed do they get gap offers?

"In the Summer Pool, priority over Open-Offer-holders is given to Colleges seeking to fill quota places. In the unlikely event of an overshoot in the quota for Medicine or Veterinary Medicine due to too many applicants meeting their offers, the underwriting College will admit any Open-Offer-holder unallocated after the Summer Pool."

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a guaranteed offer, but like all offers you'll only be accepted if you actually get the grades... I'd assume that's what's happened here.

You certainly have not let anyone down. It is the system that has been cruel, all you fish have been truely marvellous in your resilience and good grace during this horrid wait. An inspiration to us oldies!
Please be assured that life will go on and that without a doubt you will do extremely well wherever you go. It hurts now but it will pass.
Reply 5697
I just called Caius College today and the secretary said that they have received results for the pooling and they will inform the applicants through email asap. Guess it's no good news for me getting emails from preferance college.
Original post by Zoedotdot
It's a guaranteed offer, but like all offers you'll only be accepted if you actually get the grades... I'd assume that's what's happened here.

It simply isn't credible that 90% of open offer holders didn't make an A*AA offer. There is no evidence that open offers are made to people who are not expected to make A*AA. Not when so many people who go on to get A*A*A* are rejected.

I would like to see some evidence for the anecdotal comments that open offer holders didn't get a place. How do we know?
Original post by Colmans
It simply isn't credible that 90% of open offer holders didn't make an A*AA offer. There is no evidence that open offers are made to people who are not expected to make A*AA. Not when so many people who go on to get A*A*A* are rejected.

I would like to see some evidence for the anecdotal comments that open offer holders didn't get a place. How do we know?

It's all in the application statistics - http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/

Search for Medicine and sort by college. The open offers graph clearly shows five Open Offers but only 1 acceptance from last year (and six offers with no acceptances from the year before). 'Acceptance' in this instance doesn't mean the number of people who necessarily accepted the offer, but the number of people who took up their place in the autumn (or for deferred entry). As there is a very low rate both of offers being declined and of people missing their grades one it's not an unreasonable leap of logic that the low rate of acceptance is caused by a combination of the two.