The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5700
Haha, just been drowned by track. I guess I'm both disappointed with myself and angry at the process, especially given that I wasted my ****ing time turning up to another interview and hanging by a thread for a week on the possibility of an offer.

No open offers? Nice to know now Cambridge.
Original post by Zoedotdot
It's all in the application statistics - http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/

Search for Medicine and sort by college. The open offers graph clearly shows five Open Offers but only 1 acceptance from last year (and six offers with no acceptances from the year before). 'Acceptance' in this instance doesn't mean the number of people who necessarily accepted the offer, but the number of people who took up their place in the autumn (or for deferred entry). As there is a very low rate both of offers being declined and of people missing their grades one it's not an unreasonable leap of logic that the low rate of acceptance is caused by a combination of the two.

I think this is more likely to be a misreading of the statistics. The acceptances across the university were 8 down, Open 4 down.

I would suggest we don't know how open offers who get placed show up in these statistics. The "one" may be somebody who was admitted over the quota. It may be that the other four show up under the college they ended up at.

We don't have any open offer holders who can tell us what their letter says but I have seen one from Oxford and it is quite clear that the place is guaranteed, just not the college.

I see no reason why 80% (or 10/11 in a different year) would decide not to take up an open offer or would be any more likely not to make their grades. The standard for medicine is so high they pool the best of the remaining field, not the weakest.

It is quite clear that open offers are a guaranteed offer-otherwise you couldn't accept it as a firm on UCAS. Universities are not allowed to make a "maybe" offer.
Original post by Colmans
I think this is more likely to be a misreading of the statistics. The acceptances across the university were 8 down, Open 4 down.

I would suggest we don't know how open offers who get placed show up in these statistics. The "one" may be somebody who was admitted over the quota. It may be that the other four show up under the college they ended up at.

We don't have any open offer holders who can tell us what their letter says but I have seen one from Oxford and it is quite clear that the place is guaranteed, just not the college.

I see no reason why 80% (or 10/11 in a different year) would decide not to take up an open offer or would be any more likely not to make their grades. The standard for medicine is so high they pool the best of the remaining field, not the weakest.

It is quite clear that open offers are a guaranteed offer-otherwise you couldn't accept it as a firm on UCAS. Universities are not allowed to make a "maybe" offer.

You're probably right about this being a misreading of the stats - I hadn't considered how they would show up once they'd been allocated to colleges. Although I suggested nowhere that universities were allowed to make a 'maybe' offer. In fact, I said entirely the opposite - that it was a guaranteed offer. I don't know if anyone was contending that point?
Has anyone considered that perhaps open offers may have higher conditions e.g. A*A*A*. I can see why they would do that. But what I can't comprehened is how 10/11 (over 2 years) people could miss their offer of A*AA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5704
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
Ahhh thanks so so much! Really comforting to know people who aren't obliged to care, in fact do a great amount purely out of kindness. I just feel let down by the whole process, and in fact now have bitter memories of what's meant to be a great experience.

I'm mostly bothered about having to tell loads of people that I didn't make it, after all this time and being asked multiple times each day if I'd heard anything.... But you're right I am proud with how far I got, I realise it's an achievement, just quite hard to appreciate it now I guess!

Well, UCL or Imperial I think it is, which will be fantastic because I do love London!

They are such great universities. Well done and you'll have a ball in London. Are your parents supportive?
I imagine any 'friends' worth their salt will just be empathic to you about your long extended hellish wait, and will sweep you up and hopefully take you to th ePub or whatever floats your boat. Anyone else, that is not a mate, but just people around - well who cares at their response, they're not worth considering are they?

I am sure within weeks, you'll be just looking forward to a new life in London. Cambridge has lost so many fabulous potential students, that I've met on TSR, and its a shame we won't all get to be there together.

Enjoy your degree, keep your head high, and move on with confidence buddy :smile:
Ah, well i guess that's me signing off. Another drowned medic. Thanks to everyone for everything and especially to Minerva for being with us throughout this difficult journey. xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5706
Original post by und
Rejection via Track today.

So so sorry mate, after all your hard work and waiting. :frown:

Where are you thinking you may go now? You will thrive and shine wherever......:smile:
Reply 5707
Original post by Noonoo
So so sorry mate, after all your hard work and waiting. :frown:

Where are you thinking you may go now? You will thrive and shine wherever......:smile:

I was actually talking about my friend. :wink:
Reply 5708
Original post by und
I was actually talking about my friend. :wink:

ah mate, sorry , I can see that now! I think all this bad news getting to me! It has slightly tainted my offer, seeing so many good candidates who could offer so much to Cambridge, fall especially after the pool.

:s-smilie:

Grim. And on this forum, you get to care about how people do, how they feel. Anyway, glad all well with you, and my thoughts are with the poolees, and hope that they all bounce back soon. You are all considered Cambridge standard, you will all do well, and with the grit and determination you've shown, I'm sure will have even more to offer. :smile:
Reply 5709
Original post by badatgow
what.

so you mean to tell me that I and all the other medics were sitting here for the last 18 ****ing days waiting to hear news incase of the small chance of an open offer or being fished...with all dates being ignored etc. and random decisions at random times...ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT NO OPEN OFFERS THIS YEAR?

I know the feeling! That's what she said- sorry dont shoot messenger
What sucks the most is my feedback was I couldn't have done anything more! Adding the salt in the wound!
Reply 5710
Original post by Noonoo
ah mate, sorry , I can see that now! I think all this bad news getting to me! It has slightly tainted my offer, seeing so many good candidates who could offer so much to Cambridge, fall especially after the pool.

:s-smilie:

Grim. And on this forum, you get to care about how people do, how they feel. Anyway, glad all well with you, and my thoughts are with the poolees, and hope that they all bounce back soon. You are all considered Cambridge standard, you will all do well, and with the grit and determination you've shown, I'm sure will have even more to offer. :smile:

Yeah, it's quite grim for all the people who have been kept waiting until now only to receive a rejection. And to know how close they got must make it worse. Lots of my friends in real life have been rejected too, and all of them were good enough to thrive in Cambridge, but it just goes to show that wherever they go to university, they will be around extremely bright and determined people like themselves.
Reply 5711
Original post by AmirHabeeb
My friend got given an offer by Sidney Sussex after being pooled by Corpus Christi so I wouldn't panic yet lol.

Was this for medicine?
Reply 5712
how is one supposed to request feedback? can i ask specific questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaaaand there's my rejection, 18 days on. Seems to be a medical cull going on today. Feel stupid knowing that there were no open offers actually made in the end :/

Ah well, it's certainly been a journey, thanks to everyone on this thread, especially Minerva, who kept me sane. If I'm honest, this thread is the only reason I ever posted in TSR, and now that the journey's over this'll probably be my last post (Until I next encounter a bizarre pooling system in the future!)
Thanks again.
Rejected as well for medicine.
Drowned as well for medicine after such a long wait:frown: anyway I have prepared for the worst already. Thanks to everyone on this thread.
My daughter has received an open offer for vet medicine for 2013 entry. The letter stated it was a definite offer but she won't know the college until after A level results are out. Her results come out a month before as she is an IB student, she has to get 41 points, 776 at HL which is the equivalent of two A*'s and an A and AAA a SL and a full three marks for EE. This is a particularly hard offer. I wrote this just to confirm that it has been explained to us that it is a definite offer and she will go to one of seven listed colleges, but only if she achieves her offer grades and that she will be under the wing of an allocated college until she has finally been given a name. She has accepted the offer on UCAS. I was thrilled for her and was disappointed to see the negativity associated with the past 5 years statistics listed by another tsr member, you have definitely taken the shine off the offer.
and another drowned medic from caius.
Reply 5718
Rejection for medicine by caius... So it's sayonara Cambridge. Nevertheless, thank you all especially to those who constantly motivate and to Minerva, who is ever so helpful. This will be my last post in TSR... Peace out!!! :smile:
Original post by Comanche13
My daughter has received an open offer for vet medicine for 2013 entry. The letter stated it was a definite offer but she won't know the college until after A level results are out. Her results come out a month before as she is an IB student, she has to get 41 points, 776 at HL which is the equivalent of two A*'s and an A and AAA a SL and a full three marks for EE. This is a particularly hard offer. I wrote this just to confirm that it has been explained to us that it is a definite offer and she will go to one of seven listed colleges, but only if she achieves her offer grades and that she will be under the wing of an allocated college until she has finally been given a name. She has accepted the offer on UCAS. I was thrilled for her and was disappointed to see the negativity associated with the past 5 years statistics listed by another tsr member, you have definitely taken the shine off the offer.

Very many congratulations to her. I don't think you should be daunted about the offer. The average science subject student arriving at Cambridge has achieved A*A*A* so her offer is comparable (although admittedly without the stress of having it spelt out in their offers). Medicine is so competitive that they would not have offered her a place if they did not think she was capable if at least 41 at IB and of keeping up with 3A* students. The downside of IB is that they have only GCSE and teacher predictions to look at instead is AS which is why the offers are harder.

I do not believe that many medics fail to reach their offers, I think the statistics are being misread. I would crack open the bubbly and celebrate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending