The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plato's Trousers
You didn't like Airplane?! It's an absolute classic! One of the funniest films ever made, surely? (and don't call me Shirley)

Airplane, the one where people post the clip of the two pilots, right?

yea I saw parts of it, and I just didn't laugh. And then the hating comes in, right, same with Simpsons for me, I don't like it and when people keep saying how good it is it makes me dislike it more kind of. Like, "this is bs, why do people love it so much"?
Original post by danny111

Not sure what you mean about posting a clip of two pilots (it was made back in 1980; before the internet), but I am referring to this movie.

And then the hating comes in, right, same with Simpsons for me, I don't like it and when people keep saying how good it is it makes me dislike it more kind of. Like, "this is bs, why do people love it so much"?

Yes, I know what you mean. There's nothing more likely to make your views even stronger than when people tell you you're wrong!

It's only opinion. If you didn't think it was funny, fair enough.
Not sure what you mean about posting a clip of two pilots (it was made back in 1980; before the internet), but I am referring to this movie.

Yes, I know what you mean. There's nothing more likely to make your views even stronger than when people tell you you're wrong!

It's only opinion. If you didn't think it was funny, fair enough.

Just because a film is pre-internet doesn't mean youtube has no clips of it.

This is the clip I meant.
Just because a film is pre-internet doesn't mean youtube has no clips of it.

Sure. Obviously!

It's just that you said

which sounds like you are referring to something that happens in the film

Just like you might say, "Shawshank, the one where the guy breaks out of jail"

yea I saw parts of it, and I just didn't laugh. And then the hating comes in, right, same with Simpsons for me, I don't like it and when people keep saying how good it is it makes me dislike it more kind of. Like, "this is bs, why do people love it so much"?

Do you find any 70s/80s comedies amusing?
Sure. Obviously!

It's just that you said

which sounds like you are referring to something that happens in the film

Just like you might say, "Shawshank, the one where the guy breaks out of jail"

Oh! I see what you mean, yea no I phrased that poorly. I meant people post a clip from the film.
Original post by noggins
Do you find any 70s/80s comedies amusing?

Holy Grail

I used to like Police Academy and The Naked Gun, not so much any more.
I'm about to watch Satyajit Rays Apu Trilogy, after holding off for quite a long time.

Last three films watched:

Key Witness, 1947 - 7/10

Solid noir thriller, can't fault it.

Born Yesterday, 1950 - 8/10

Judy Holliday's performance in that film made me glad to add her to my favourite actresses list. Her voice is so irritating that you can't help but love it.

Glengarry, Glen Ross, 1992 - 8.5/10

Great performance from Ed Harris playing his usual forte of a tough, angry jerk. I thought the dialogue was perfect, in the sense that every line seemed completely natural. The character of Sheldon Lavigne was probably one of the best portrayals of a truly pathetic man I've ever seen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8208
Original post by philistine
I'm about to watch Satyajit Rays Apu Trilogy, after holding off for quite a long time.

Last three films watched:

Key Witness, 1947 - 7/10

Solid noir thriller, can't fault it.

Born Yesterday, 1950 - 8/10

Judy Holliday's performance in that film made me glad to add her to my favourite actresses list. Her voice is so irritating that you can't help but love it.

Glengarry, Glen Ross, 1992 - 8.5/10

Great performance from Ed Harris playing his usual forte of a tough, angry jerk. I thought the dialogue was perfect, in the sense that every line seemed completely natural. The character of Sheldon Lavigne was probably one of the best portrayals of a truly pathetic man I've ever seen.

Want. :puppyeyes: Did you get this on Criterion? I know they did an edition of The Music Room, but not sure about the trilogy.

On Glengarry, Glen Ross, yeah, Mametspeak is pretty distinctive in its realism. :yep: Makes it pretty hard to direct/perform! :p:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8209
Think I'll watch Argo tonight, on a mission to watch all the Best Picture nominees before the Oscars. Ones I've seen so far are in bold.

Amour
Argo
Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Django Unchained (seeing tomorrow)
Les Miserables
Life Of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

From the ones I've seen so far, Silver Linings Playbook is my favourite, just in front of Les Mis.
Original post by aja89
Think I'll watch Argo tonight, on a mission to watch all the Best Picture nominees before the Oscars. Ones I've seen so far are in bold.

Amour
Argo
Les Miserables
Life Of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

From the ones I've seen so far, Silver Linings Playbook is my favourite, just in front of Les Mis.

Dude, this is a great idea! I'm gonna do that too! I have no more exams after thursday or uni so i can stay up for the whole oscars too. Epic idea!

Got far to go though, only seen Silver Linings Playbook so far (loved it)

Amour
Argo
Les Miserables
Life Of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Reply 8211
Original post by aja89

Amour
Argo
Les Miserables
Life Of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Like the last two years, I too am on the same mission. :five: Have to say, Beasts of the Southern Wild is the current frontrunner for my personal pick. :p: Highly doubt it will win at the actual awards, though.
Django unchained. As my name might suggest. Love it.

Best.
Film.
Evar.
Are the any good films on Netflix you could suggest
+1 on not liking airplane. Its just a series of one liners and visual gags that attempt to beat you into submission! Being able to see the unfunny punchlines so blatantly makes it all the less funny. There may be some merit in that approach (afterall, Tim Vine and Milton Jones still have jobs), but I find it juvenile and charmless.

Its like the jokes in Christmas crackers. I can see there is a joke there, but it's not in the slightest bit funny.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8215
Django Unchained was sold out when we got to the cinema so we had to see Gangster Squad instead.

:colonhash: :colonhash: :colonhash: :colonhash:

My god. Is it supposed to be a parody? Because it was so cliche I kept thinking that they couldn't possibly be for real.
Just watched Django Unchained; different gravy.

Having watched it, I can understand why Leo wasn't nominated. He was only introduced halfway into the film, and his performance wasn't spectacular enough to garner a nomination, it really would have to be amazing for him to be nominated considering the percentage of screen-time he had. Having said that, Christoph Waltz really could be nominated for Best Actor, he played the lead for 80%+ of the film, and was great.

Definitely rooting for Django to win Best Picture, although it seems an impossibility seeing as Tarantino isn't nominated for Best Director, which usually means it won't score enough votes to win Best Picture. I'm sure Christoph Waltz will pick up his award though, and maybe Tarantino for Original Screenplay.
Reply 8217
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Just watched Django Unchained; different gravy.

Having watched it, I can understand why Leo wasn't nominated. He was only introduced halfway into the film, and his performance wasn't spectacular enough to garner a nomination, it really would have to be amazing for him to be nominated considering the percentage of screen-time he had. Having said that, Christoph Waltz really could be nominated for Best Actor, he played the lead for 80%+ of the film, and was great.

Screen time seems to be a much less important factor in the female acting categories I've noticed. Anne Hathaway will probably win for Les Mis and she can't have been in the film for more than fifteen minutes in total. Judi Dench won for Shakespeare In Love with eight minutes screen time, and Beatrice Straight won for Network with only five minutes!
Leo Di Caprio probably has the best monologue in the film as well. It's a shame he won't win.
Reply 8219
Original post by aja89
Screen time seems to be a much less important factor in the female acting categories I've noticed. Anne Hathaway will probably win for Les Mis and she can't have been in the film for more than fifteen minutes in total. Judi Dench won for Shakespeare In Love with eight minutes screen time, and Beatrice Straight won for Network with only five minutes!

But those five minutes. :sogood:

Quick Reply

Latest