The Student Room Group

FURTHER PURE 2 Exam thread (ALL boards)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kingm
Have either of you two guys, or anyone else reading this, done the june 2010 paper?

I'm stuck on the integration for Q.5.b)(ii)

Please help if you can!

AQA-MFP2-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
AQA-MFP2-W-MS-JUN10.PDF

Actually i just worked it out!

How are you guys getting on?

I have one more question....
Is there a general formula for alpha^3 + beta^3 + gamma^3?

Similarly when they are each to the power of 4?

Those questions seem to come up a lot in the past papers.
Reply 21
There is a formula, however sometimes it is quicker to use the factor theorem f(α)+f(β)+f(γ)f(\alpha)+f(\beta) +f(\gamma) usually is a powerful tool. The formula for α3+β3+γ3=(α+β+γ)33(αβ+βγ+γα)+3αβγ\alpha^3+\beta^3+\gamma^3= (\alpha+\beta+\gamma)^3-3(\alpha\beta +\beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha)+3\alpha\beta\gamma
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
how the hell do i do q4 b(i),b(ii) http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MFP2-W-QP-JUN11.PDF any ideas?
Reply 23
There is one part of de moivre's which i've always struggled with. Can someone please help me with

Question 8)d)
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MFP2-W-QP-JAN11.PDF

and
Question 8)
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MFP2-QP-JAN12.PDF
Reply 24
Use the fact that A,B,Y are factors and then multiply both sides of the equations by something. It wouldn't help if I told you exactly what to do.
Reply 25
Original post by HQ05
how the hell do i do q4 b(i),b(ii) http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MFP2-W-QP-JUN11.PDF any ideas?

Original post by stus
There is one part of de moivre's which i've always struggled with. Can someone please help me with

Question 8)d)
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MFP2-W-QP-JAN11.PDF

and
Question 8)
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MFP2-QP-JAN12.PDF

Secretly glad to see i'm not the only one having trouble with de moivre. I'm resigned to the fact that i'm gonna lose maybe 4 marks in total if one of its questions comes up.

Re Jan 11 8.d)....i didn't have a clue why either. Where did the whole "because the coefficient of z^5 is 0" come from?

And number 8 on Jan 12....which parts specifically?
Reply 26
Original post by HQ05

Sorry man i couldn't do that either! ARGHGGHH
Reply 27
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

How did you guys get on? It started off really well for me but then started going horribly downhill.

I couldn't get the method of differences to equal n/(blah)....i got 5n/(blah)? I found the roots question to be ok. I couldn't do the partial integration to get what they wanted. And i know i dropped at least 4 marks on the de moivre part.
Reply 28
Original post by kingm
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

How did you guys get on? It started off really well for me but then started going horribly downhill.

I couldn't get the method of differences to equal n/(blah)....i got 5n/(blah)? I found the roots question to be ok. I couldn't do the partial integration to get what they wanted. And i know i dropped at least 4 marks on the de moivre part.

i thought it was nice paper but i lost quite a few marks on the integration where u had to get it in terms of ln(m/n). i figured out the last part but didnt get time to finish it . i think grade boundaries are gonna be high. i lost atleast 10 marks so probably a B. oh well im gonna have to do really well in m2 s2 fp3 now
I did the AQA paper, how did people find it? Thought it was very easy personally, so much more straightforward that psat papers, lost 10 marks though, couldnt do the 7 marks at the end due to time and couldn't complete the 5 marker tanh intergration. Assuming I've lost max 15 what UMS am I looking at do you guys think?
Reply 30
i think grade boundaries are gonna be pretty high. this paper was easier than june 2012 where the boundaries were 68/75 for an a* and 63/75 for an A.
Reply 31
Original post by kingm
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Yeah it did equal 5n on the top, but you had to divide it by 5 because in part a) there was a 5 on top.

I found it all pretty easy except question 8), which was exactly the same as the 2 questions I asked about last night :frown:
Reply 32
FP2 for AQA was the hardest exam I've ever done. My mate said the same. :frown:
Original post by stus
Yeah it did equal 5n on the top, but you had to divide it by 5 because in part a) there was a 5 on top.

I found it all pretty easy except question 8), which was exactly the same as the 2 questions I asked about last night :frown:

How did you find 5? I thought the intergration by parts was really tough
Reply 34
Original post by stus

I did not see that 5 for some reason. That a real shame though - a silly mark lost there.

Original post by HQ05
i think grade boundaries are gonna be pretty high. this paper was easier than june 2012 where the boundaries were 68/75 for an a* and 63/75 for an A.

I thought it was trickier than june 2012 personally. But i think thats because i didn't have the mark scheme in front of me, and i had maybe 3 hours sleep :-)

Never mind. I left it way too late to study for this exam anyway. Lesson learnt and will probably retake in june.

How did people write out their integration by parts bit btw? I.e what was your u, v and u', v'?

I ended up with 4xtanh-1x - 4(integrate)x/(1-x2). Pretty sure thats horribly wrong but can somebody put me out of my misery please...
Reply 35
I wrote this in c3 thread to Aristotle's post, but this is more suitable so I will just copy paste xD Sorry can't go through same stuff again, its too agonizing. I really hope will get an A.

Exactly the same for the last 7 marks! I did draw them on the diagram, but there wasn't enough time, and you had to do like tan of the angles or somehing to find lengths, and then use triangle formula so it was quite a bit of work for 3marker and didnt have time... I kinda got confused for last part, even though did this before but like you said presure!

And lol, I didn't do that integration as well... Since when you differentiate 0.5ln(1+x/1-x) or whatever was it, you get 0.5 * 1/(1+x)/1(-x) * differential inside... but differential of inside was 1/1-x^2, like final or plus - don't pay attention to that I don't remember now, but basically from differentiating what's inside you get what's in the final answer! so I got confused and just left it, since I spent too much time on it.. It was 3 marks though and hopefully will get maybe 1, or if everything was correct to the point even 2.. not sure

Oh I also didn't get final answer for Q point. I showed it on the graph but kinda wasn't sure.. should've asked for distance lol.. i worked out distance and then I was like crap they asked for coordinates. so I think I then added that -2 +i point to diameter points, just radius twice. So most likely wrong.

I was perfectly fine with everything else though. I hope grade boundaries won't go up, maybe even go down, I really hope I got an A... No chance for a A* now, which I was hopping.. well will have to do better in fp3 and d3, to average 90%... but still would've been so happy if I could get 90+ ums out of 100 on fp2...

What do you reckon about grade boundaries?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
can people post all the questions they remember please
Reply 37
Well that was an interesting exam... Haha. I didn't get the show s=61 or something question. I found for a lot of the questions I just did what I could and ended up moving on.

That tanhy question really bugged me because I remember doing a similar question in a past paper somewhere but just couldn't get it to work out in today's exam... Oh well :smile:
Original post by kingm
I did not see that 5 for some reason. That a real shame though - a silly mark lost there.

I thought it was trickier than june 2012 personally. But i think thats because i didn't have the mark scheme in front of me, and i had maybe 3 hours sleep :-)

Never mind. I left it way too late to study for this exam anyway. Lesson learnt and will probably retake in june.

How did people write out their integration by parts bit btw? I.e what was your u, v and u', v'?

I ended up with 4xtanh-1x - 4(integrate)x/(1-x2). Pretty sure thats horribly wrong but can somebody put me out of my misery please...

Your answer is same as mines, I think it is current. I think my answer is ln 75/21. You can put -2x on the top which give you ln(1-x2) after integration.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Hey guys, i though because you all have done the FP2 exam, your most likely to have it,..

does anyone have the mark scheme and the question sheet for the "AQA Further pure 2 Hyperbolic function chapter assessment"? its an MEI resource but its for aqa and at the bottom it has the date 04/11/08
if you have this or any onther similar could you please post in on here? that would be amazing!! :smile:
thanks =D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending