The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to be honest.

There have been 100 billion threads that females post about other 'female gamers' and it is simply getting, so, so old.

It's getting to the point where like some other guy said on a different thread "Why do you feel the need to bring your gender into it? It appears like many of the so-called girl gamers are fishing for a spot of attention. As if being a girl gamer is rare or a feat of some sort...'

Second, if anyone, guy or girl plays video games from 'time to time', they are not gamers. They simply enjoy playing it FROM TIME TO TIME. I think 3/4 of the girls that post these types of threads go on about how COD or FIFA is their life as if those are the only two games they've ever heard of. That too doesn't exactly constitute as a 'gamer' and yes, this applies to both males and females.

I realise this sounds harsh, and I'm sorry if it comes across that way but these types of threads are so common nowadays. Yesterday when I was on, I met about 20 or so girls on BLOPS2, the day before another 20, the day before that another 20 and so on. Hell, most of them are awesome, but I highly doubt they go on TSR, IGN, Playstation forums asking for opinions on 'girl gamers'.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by geminibynature
Hahahahah omigosh that bottom one is me. XP

We're getting married. Now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So long as they're not calling me a 'fag' over voice chat or making some stupid ****ing noises, I'm happy to play with anyone.
Reply 23
I personally like gamer girls, though I like gamer girls more if they play games that require analytic and strategy skills; as it shows they have intelligence.

All in all though, its an attractive trait!
Reply 24
Original post by Id and Ego seek
I don't think a girl that enjoys a game of Fifa now and then constitutes as a 'girl gamer', more a 'a girl who enjoys videogames from time to time'.

The bottom is hot, the top, not so much.

Me being me, I'd still be most likely to go for the top girl, tbh. :hubba:
I probably wouldn't feel embarrassed about losing to a girl on FIFA because to be honest I suck at FIFA!

I used to be friends with gamer girls (or 'gamer chicks' as a few of my friends refer to them as) and some of them really are good at gaming (I have been in online games where guys have slandered gamer chicks in the same game because they're girls - really uncalled for IMHO) but I digress...

I like the idea of gamer chicks who I can talk about videogames to because it's a common interest and something I enjoy doing. I might feel a tad embarrassed if I lost to a girl on a game like Halo but then hey she won fair and square and losing is part of the game sometimes! Would it make a difference as to whether I wanted a relationship with a gamer chick? erm...yeah maybe so, I mean I've been in relationships where girlfriends wouldn't even let me turn on the xbox to watch a chick flick DVD with them, so if the gamer chick's personality is nice and she ticks all the boxes then I would see the fact that she is a gamer chick as an added bonus :biggrin:
I think it's cool in the sense that gaming is a common interest, but when girls act like it's their defining feature then it's kind of annoying. I'm not a 'gamer guy', I'm just a guy who likes playing games, in the same way that a girl who likes playing games isn't a 'gamer girl'. I definitely think a lot of girls make a thing of it because they love the attention it brings - particularly on the more 'nerdy' games, where, given the audience, they're likely to garner a lot of attention, aha.

To conclude: girls who play games = awesome, girls who emphasise the fact they play games = not so awesome.
Reply 27
Original post by Lizzie232
Yeah I thought so but I can see a lot of guys getting annoyed if they got beaten (or nearly beaten) by a girl?

Those guys aren't worth your time. I would find it sexy.

Plus if you really like a guy but are better than him, you could give him a tough game but let him win. That way he'll feel like he accomplished something and at the same have respect for you for pushing him so hard.
My cousin thinks that because she plays Call of Duty and Pokemon occasionally, it makes her a gamer girl and she's forever posing with her controller and posting stupid Facebook statuses like "OMG prestiged on Black Ops, should be a boy LOL". She clearly has no idea what it feels like to be a girl who gets told she acts too much like a boy, and she's obviously not a gamer. It annoys me when people just play CoD occasionally and think they're a gamer - and then laugh at people who play things like GTA, Fifa, Spyro (I'm an old-school kind of girl, I could spend all day in the skate park on Year Of The Dragon), Burnout, Just Cause, Kingdom Hearts, Lego Star Wars (and Battlefront 2, even if I always get Bantha Fodder :colone: ), and say we're geeks and nerds.
Girlfriend really enjoys RPGs but unfortunately she won't play MMORPGs or any online games because of common sexual harassment and abuse which seems to be the 'in' thing to do. I think guys who do this think they're having a bit of a laugh but don't realise the effects their having on people.
They're good for my K/D. :P
Reply 31
Why would anyone be proud to be classed as a gamer, going by the definition that it's someone who plays more than from time to time?
Original post by ed-
Why would anyone be proud to be classed as a gamer, going by the definition that it's someone who plays more than from time to time?

I'm just wondering, what's wrong with playing daily? If it's something you enjoy...why not? It's a hobby.
No one cares and FIFA is ****.

It's not as if you have developed the games you play, that might be something to brag about. Just shut up and play.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by LauraRMCF
I'm just wondering, what's wrong with playing daily? If it's something you enjoy...why not? It's a hobby.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, I just asked a question.

Although seeing as you're asking, personally I think almost anything is more productive than playing Xbox for an hour or two every day.
I think it's fine now and then though. Nothing like a game of Fifa to get banter flowing.
Original post by jordanW241
I think it's cool in the sense that gaming is a common interest, but when girls act like it's their defining feature then it's kind of annoying. I'm not a 'gamer guy', I'm just a guy who likes playing games, in the same way that a girl who likes playing games isn't a 'gamer girl'. I definitely think a lot of girls make a thing of it because they love the attention it brings - particularly on the more 'nerdy' games, where, given the audience, they're likely to garner a lot of attention, aha.

To conclude: girls who play games = awesome, girls who emphasise the fact they play games = not so awesome.

This essentially.

If you appreciate art, you wouldn't go around saying "OMG, I'm like, such a girl-artie, it's like crazy just how into Manet I am". You'd just say "yeah, I like art". So the inherent desire of some girls to bring their gender into every discussion surrounding gaming leads me to believe there's a subculture of those leeching from the attention of being a female minority within a largely male environment.

Regardless, being into video-games is cool. I don't really care what genitals you have, just have a fun time and stop talking about your tits.
I don't like the girls that have to make sure that everyone in the game knows that they're a girl by either having a ridiculous gamertag/psn like xXxMiSsGaMeRcHiCkxXx or something stupid like that or being on their mic and begging for attention from guys in the game

I have about 50 people in my friends list and about 6 of them know I'm a girl, they're all cool if I beat them in a game :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by TheStudent2013
I really like girl gamers because they're so different from other girls. Also it shows me that they aren't just like all other girls they like different things which means they're unique. Just my opinion though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I too think it's nice that girl gamers feel they can be different as I guess it can be a guy's tendency to assume that she won't be interested, and seeing as many girls aren't interested in gaming, it can be difficult to have all your girlfriends and then have an interest which is completely different to some of theirs.

However I don't get how this thread seems to be dividing girls into 'gamers' and 'all other girls'. You say 'they like different things'...no, they like one different thing! And all other girls probably like one different thing to the next girl too! Remember that many many girls also have things which make them unique other than gaming!
Original post by Lizzie232
What I was wondering is how people (mainly guys) would think about this, whether guys would feel embarrassed if they were beaten by a girl or whether they would be happy they could play with one? And would it make it more or less likely they would want a relationship or indifferent? Thanks :smile:

:sexface:

'Nuff said.
FIFA??? Urgh. You are NOT a gamer, sorry to break it to you. Next you'll be telling us how much you love Black Ops and how it's the best game in ever. begone with you!

Come back when you've played an actual game!

And even then, you're not a REAL gamer until you can have an in-depth conversation about why "Jungle Strike" was amazing, or reminisce tearfully about the downfall of the classic point'n'click adventure.

At the very, VERY least... name 10 single-player, story-driven games you've played from start to finish.

But even after all that, you're still not a REAL gamer. a real gamer doesn't care about opinions or whether or not it's attractive! Do you think I care if it's attractive when I sit in the evening for 2 hours on a chair goggle-eyed at the TV whilst my beautiful other half gets increasingly bored on her laptop? Do I ****! I'm busy saving the world and scratching my balls. Deal with it!

Latest