The Student Room Group

Mazda RX8 - Perfect?

Hey TSR,

Well im just browsing through second hand cars and i found Mazda RX8, would you say its a perfect car? well.. for a 17 year old of course, i mean its a 1.3 litre car and you can get a decent car for about £2k along with 30000+ amount of miles it has done, or even less... Other than that, its a four seater, looks like a sports car ish, i guess perfect for a boy? ... Since its a 1.3 , insurance should be pretty decent right?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TanMan
Hey TSR,

Well im just browsing through second hand cars and i found Mazda RX8, would you say its a perfect car? well.. for a 17 year old of course, i mean its a 1.3 litre car and you can get a decent car for about £2k along with 30000+ amount of miles it has done, or even less... Other than that, its a four seater, looks like a sports car ish, i guess perfect for a boy? ... Since its a 1.3 , insurance should be pretty decent right?

You will not get insured on it. I thought the exact same thing when I was looking for a car last year; after researching and calling up a few insurance companies it was impossible getting insured.

The Mazda RX8 falls under the same insurance group as a BMW M3 :eek:
You may ask what's a 1.3l car doing under the same insurance group as a BMW? Well the 1.3l engine in the RX8 isn't the ordinary 1.3 litre... it's a Rotary engine that means that the 1.3 makes a massive 230 Brake Horse Power. That's 0 - 60Mph in less than 7 seconds :P

Basically it's a pretty fast car, insurance will be way to expensive, fuel economy sucks and it's not the car to have at 17 despite it's awesome looks :frown:

Hope this helped.

- IS
Reply 2
Original post by IntenseSoldier
You will not get insured on it. I thought the exact same thing when I was looking for a car last year; after researching and calling up a few insurance companies it was impossible getting insured.

You may ask what's a 1.3l car doing under the same insurance group as a BMW? Well the 1.3l engine in the RX8 isn't the ordinary 1.3 litre... it's a Rotary engine that means that the 1.3 makes a massive 230 Brake Horse Power. That's 0 - 60Mph in less than 7 seconds :P

Basically it's a pretty fast car, insurance will be way to expensive, fuel economy sucks and it's not the car to have at 17 despite it's awesome looks :frown:

Hope this helped.

- IS

I second this, out of curiosity i looked at insurance prices for a locally advertised RX8 and it was more pricey than my dads Focus ST (2.5 litre 5cyl 225 bhp) :O
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by IntenseSoldier

Hope this helped.

- IS

Whao! no waaaaaay! i was looking forward to it! i was already on autotrader getting my hopes up high considering it was £2-3k :O thats pretty bad.. i guess your right, hearing about the rotary engine, and how it only takes up to 20-25 mpg :\ ... Well i think im going back the new ford fiesta :biggrin: 50+ mpg i think, but im going in for the finance deposit procedure, but thanks anyways! :biggrin:
Original post by TanMan
Whao! no waaaaaay! i was looking forward to it! i was already on autotrader getting my hopes up high considering it was £2-3k :O thats pretty bad.. i guess your right, hearing about the rotary engine, and how it only takes up to 20-25 mpg :\ ... Well i think im going back the new ford fiesta :biggrin: 50+ mpg i think, but im going in for the finance deposit procedure, but thanks anyways! :biggrin:

No problem, glad I helped :smile:
Reply 5
Rotary engines are a different class for insurance. It varies, but in the UK I think they consider rotaries to have an equivalent of double the engine capacity. So a 1.3 is treated as a 2.6! Other countries (I think Japan is one) do a factor of 1.5x for that as well.

Lovely car though. I really wanted one!
Nope, Mazda RX8 has a rotary engine. Works different to most engines, it makes more power and uses more fuel. As another user said, insurance will kill you!
You have to be very careful with RX8's with there rotary engines, they do not do well with short journeys which wrecks the engines, look into them before buying. They are great engines in principal though and I respect Mazda for using them, but for everyday use and the sought of people that buy them it wasn't so great, they like to be thrashed.

Like others have said although its a 1.3 on the log book and for tax and insurance perposes it's down as a 2.6 or something.
Lol, the rx8 is a lovely car but you will never get insured on it...even if an insurance company would quote you on it you will be raped through the eye sockets for one years insurance....

Aside from the fact that you would be a new driver at 17 in a 230+ BHP rear wheel drive car that does 0-60 in less than 7, there's the issues with the amount of oil the things use, the price to repair anything and the fact that there are so many mistreated examples on the market at the moment it's just not worth the risk of buying a dud...

A guy I know got one on finance from a garage and it blew within a week (the person who traded it in obviously knew something the garage didn't)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
I tried comparing prices to see if I could get one, and it lists the RX-8 as a 2.6 litre as the actual engine size. Not just an insurance factor.

Either way, I could get one for (with 2 years NCB, i.e next year, and setting myself a year older to simulate this (26)) for £1245 a year at the cheapest,
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by TanMan
Hey TSR,

As most people have said it has a the rotatry engine which makes it much more powerful for its displacement(engine size) compared to a standard piston type engine.

Insurance is pretty high, its actually higher than the eqivalant BHP car. Mainly due to the fact that the parts are a little bit more expensive as rotatry engines in cars are not that common.

The car also needs a little bit more car and attention in terms of servicing and looking after, as in servcing needs to be done on time otherwise you do get problems, slightly more than say a normal petrol car.

There are some perks to these cars, they are fairly cheap mainly due to thier cost of running. The engines are powerful and that actually way to drive the car so that it lasts as long as possible is to drive it hard on the accelertor pedal and the brakes also like to be pressed hard. Obviosuly not all the time but I did read somewhere at least once a day, you should redline the car. I am not on expert on rotorary engines so dont take my word for it, I always beelived redlining any car was a bad idea.

For a first car at you age coupled with insurance etc, I would stick to a small car, if you want something sporty and cheap something like a Seat Leon FR (Diesel) might do you will.
Reply 11
My issue with these is the running costs. They emit lots from memory which is why they had to stop making them due to tax issues. When very much looking at an R3 RX8 - it was suggested that really do not expect greater than 20mpg. At 231bhp from memory - that properly sucks. Nice looking car the R3 though and for very good money - but sod the £400+ road tax!

This is why an old S2K is so much better VFM - better reliability, better running costs. less oil and fuel, better revs, better handling and noise as well.
Reply 12
Original post by TanMan
Hey TSR,

As other users have said insurance is crazy if possible.

The other major issue is the petrol, the reason RX8 is so cheap is because they are very costly to run, mpg is poor which is down to the engine.
Reply 13
Don't forget that it's not just insurance, but VED that's absolutely insane for the RX8 as well.

Theoretically a 17 year old could afford a Jaguar XJS V12 as well in terms of car purchase price, but crikey, if any idiot would actually insure you with that car, the price would be enough to make you cry. Not to mention it would get about 5mpg.
Just got a quote from comparethemarket for ya and... 17yo with tht cars gonna cost you £40k to insure!

Not so perfect now.
Reply 15
Very very expensive to run. Cheap to buy but insurance isn't all that bad. I'm only 21 and I've been quoted about £800 a year fully comp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TanMan
Hey TSR,

I know a female who got one as her first car and is paying £1100 a year she did say its very expensive to run she has to put £45 a day atleast for a full tank but hey if you want a nice first car there is always going to be sacrifices.
Reply 17
It's not really a 1.3. It's basically a 2.6
If you look at the power, emissions and fuel economy you'll see why.
Reply 18
Original post by BritBoyWonder
I know a female who got one as her first car and is paying £1100 a year she did say its very expensive to run she has to put £45 a day atleast for a full tank but hey if you want a nice first car there is always going to be sacrifices.

She uses a full tank every day? o.0
Original post by Maccees
She uses a full tank every day? o.0

Yeah but that's for if she's going too be out for long she,she did mention there is lots of problems it gets and it has to be sorted be a professional doing it yourself will make the problem worst

Latest