The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Tigers
Today we fight wars for the American empire.With our Empire at least we would gain power and money.

Historically virtually every conquest Britain made was censured for its cost and damage to British power and prestige. We rarely set out to conquer but sleep-walked into it.

So in answer to your question, no thanks. I like my limbs, I like not paying for wars, and I like Britain being respected worldwide.
Reply 2
No, not a chance. Colonalism is not what the world needs, and I wouldn't volunteer to be a part of that. The UK is a tiny little island of declining importance internationally - we need to start building closer relationships with the economic powerhouses of the future, not pretending we could still rule the world.
Reply 3
Original post by gladders
Historically virtually every conquest Britain made was censured for its cost and damage to British power and prestige. We rarely set out to conquer but sleep-walked into it.

So in answer to your question, no thanks. I like my limbs, I like not paying for wars, and I like Britain being respected worldwide.

but we are still paying for American wars.We were the most powerful nation in the world.We would be much more respected with an empire
Reply 4
Original post by mcdaniel
No, not a chance. Colonalism is not what the world needs, and I wouldn't volunteer to be a part of that. The UK is a tiny little island of declining importance internationally - we need to start building closer relationships with the economic powerhouses of the future, not pretending we could still rule the world.

that's my point.We still can build an empire and avoid declining
Original post by mcdaniel

That would mean we do what we want to and is in our best interests, Not want America wants us to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Tigers
but we are still paying for American wars.We were the most powerful nation in the world.We would be much more respected with an empire

We were the most powerful nation in the world when the rest of the world was not industrialised or organised into cohesive nation states. Nowadays there's not a chance of that advantage ever coming back.

As for American wars, they're as much ours as theirs; our Parliament voted for it. In any case, just because it would be 'our' war doesn't somehow make it more acceptable.

So, tell me: who would we conquer first, do you think?
Reply 7
The British Empire is dead, colonialism is extra dead. Please move on with your life OP.
Hell yea i would change so much. Make this country even better
Reply 9
Original post by smithyinthehouse
Hell yea i would change so much. Make this country even better

Who would you pick a fight with first?
Surely you can't be serious? :facepalm2:
Who would you pick a fight with first?

You and your dad
Reply 12
You and your dad

Seriously, now. Which country would you attempt to conquer for the Empire?
Seriously, now. Which country would you attempt to conquer for the Empire?

Rome. thats where the gold was at.
Reply 14
We were the most powerful nation in the world when the rest of the world was not industrialised or organised into cohesive nation states. Nowadays there's not a chance of that advantage ever coming back.

As for American wars, they're as much ours as theirs; our Parliament voted for it. In any case, just because it would be 'our' war doesn't somehow make it more acceptable.

So, tell me: who would we conquer first, do you think?

As for acceptable wars,I was saying that we are today fighting wars.So if we have to make wars at least do them for the British Empire and not for the American empire.Our Parliament is sold to the USA
We can certainly get back the empire we had after WWII that America forced us to give up.If Iraq was able to conquer the oil of Kuwait we can surely get it and gain billions with it.Canada and Australia would lose too.
Reply 15
Original post by S.R
The British Empire is dead, colonialism is extra dead. Please move on with your life OP.

let's give up the Falklands and Ulster too.Our Empire is dead because many people don't care about it like you.But we could get back at least the WWII Empire that the USA wanted us to lose
Reply 16
Rome. thats where the gold was at.

Okay, picking a fight with the Italians. So, do you think we'd be fighting them alone or do you think all of NATO will join them?
Okay, picking a fight with the Italians. So, do you think we'd be fighting them alone or do you think all of NATO will join them?

I would use the games , master of olypmus and age of empires to construct a well thought out plan of attack.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Surely you can't be serious? :facepalm2:

Watch from 12 seconds
Reply 19
Original post by Tigers
As for acceptable wars,I was saying that we are today fighting wars.So if we have to make wars at least do them for the British Empire and not for the American empire.Our Parliament is sold to the USA
We can certainly get back the empire we had after WWII that America forced us to give up.If Iraq was able to conquer the oil of Kuwait we can surely get it and gain billions with it.Canada and Australia would lose too.

We were thinking of giving up the Empire long before WW2. WW2 accelerated the process.

The only reason the Empire existed was to protect India. The Empire was a money-wasting burden around our necks.

Once India was given independence, it was a sensible money-saving measure to wind up the Empire. The Empire held us back. Really.

Do you really think the world would sit back and let us conquer Iraq? At least the 2003 invasion was under the guise of stopping WMDs (however fraudulent), and Iraq is on the way to being evacuated of US troops.

Wouldn't you say America is empire-building? Do you think they are feeling stronger/richer because of it?

Latest