The Student Room Group

A Level students,how many exam do you have in June?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chignesh10
I have my interview there on the 19th of february lol
Any tips?

Well all I can give is general tips like make sure you know your personal statement inside out, which you probably already do. Be prepared to spend most of your interview with a board marker solving questions, the questions will be related to your ps so just revise any topics to do with what you've written. If you've written about a book, go over it again, you don't have to go over it all just skim through it. Be polite, smile, think aloud if you're not too embarrassed to and think before you answer and don't just go urrr, urmm. Also be prepared to talk about hobbies and interests. You've probably heard all this before but I hope its helped. :smile:
7.. we weren't allowed to do A2 exams in January so it all pushed back to summer unfortunately. I don't really mind though, I think it will help enhance my knowledge by using both units to understand the topic as a whole.
Original post by SaFa1237
Well all I can give is general tips like make sure you know your personal statement inside out, which you probably already do. Be prepared to spend most of your interview with a board marker solving questions, the questions will be related to your ps so just revise any topics to do with what you've written. If you've written about a book, go over it again, you don't have to go over it all just skim through it. Be polite, smile, think aloud if you're not too embarrassed to and think before you answer and don't just go urrr, urmm. Also be prepared to talk about hobbies and interests. You've probably heard all this before but I hope its helped. :smile:

Thanks a lot mate, yeah it did help! I am guessing UCL asked a lot about your personal statement to you then. Was it 20 minutes long?
(with hopefully no resits :smile:)

- CHEM4
- PHYA5
- COMP3
- STEP II
- STEP III
I have at least 5 with no resits

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I have no resits, I will be doing:
BIOL5 (AQA biology final unit)
C4 (Edexcel maths)
FP2
FP3 (Edexcel further maths)

And between now and summer I've got to do my biology assessed practical and the internally-marked paper that goes with it (BIOL6T, I think it's called).

So, 4 during the actual exam season, and the biology practical sometime in the upcoming months :smile:

Edit: Probably obvious, but I'm an A2 student, forgot to say :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks a lot mate, yeah it did help! I am guessing UCL asked a lot about your personal statement to you then. Was it 20 minutes long?

Yep, do you plan on making it your firm choice? :smile:
Yep, do you plan on making it your firm choice? :smile:

Hmm, Imperial at the moment will be my firm if I get an offer from there!

May I ask how long your answers would be if you were to be asked a question from your PS?
5 hopefully with no re-sits plus two speaking exams
Reply 189
Mechanics unit 1 –P.M 13/05/2013 (CLASH 1)
Statistics Unit 1 –A.M 17/05/2013
Core Mathematics 2 A.M 24/05/2013 (CLASH 2)
Statistics unit 2 A.M 24/05/2013 (CLASH 2)
Further Pure Mathematics 1 –A.M 10/6/2013
History Unit 2: 22/05/2013 22/05/2013 P.M
Economics The national and international economy 13/05/2013 P.M (CLASH 1)

What is life... I mean seriously why are they all stacked and may and clash so damn often, from stats 2 to core 2 that's going to work a treat.
Hmm, Imperial at the moment will be my firm if I get an offer from there!

May I ask how long your answers would be if you were to be asked a question from your PS?

Well it depends on what the question would be, for example they asked me 'why chemistry?' it would be a good few sentences, but if they asked about my hobbies the answer would be relatively shorter.
Imperial's a good choice, I was going to apply there but you need A-level maths, which I don't do.
Well it depends on what the question would be, for example they asked me 'why chemistry?' it would be a good few sentences, but if they asked about my hobbies the answer would be relatively shorter.
Imperial's a good choice, I was going to apply there but you need A-level maths, which I don't do.

Hmmm yeah fair enough that's what I was thinking...but in a 20 minute interview, how long would you spend on the why chemistry for example?

Hmmm, yeah i heard the imperial chemistry course is quite mathematical
Hmmm yeah fair enough that's what I was thinking...but in a 20 minute interview, how long would you spend on the why chemistry for example?

Hmmm, yeah i heard the imperial chemistry course is quite mathematical

Hardly any time at all, it'll be like the first question they ask and it would take like two minutes. And then they might ask you why UCL, they never asked me that however. Instead the guy asked something along the lines of 'It says here that you enjoy mechanisms, so if you wanted to make an amine how would you go about making it?' he then proceeded to draw ethene on the whiteboard and said 'How would you make that into an haloalkane?' That was quite an easy question. He then asked how would you detect ethene in a infrared spectrometer and why? He also asked about how bonds absorb energy. After that - which took about 10-15 minutes and there were other questions I don't remember - he asked me about my hobbies and interests in the last 5 minutes or so. :smile:
Reply 193
C4, S3, D2 and FP2 for maths/further maths and then 2 geography and 1 economics, possibly one more if I have to resit January's economics module.
I'm doing A2 (CIE)
so
Biology Paper 4/5
Physics Paper 4/5
Chemistry Paper 4/5
Maths Paper 3/6
Reply 195
I have:
BIOL2
CHEM1 and CHEM 2 (my school does them both in summer)
History B and C (again my school does it in summer)
General studies 2

With resits ill have BIOL1 and general studies 1 included
Hardly any time at all, it'll be like the first question they ask and it would take like two minutes. And then they might ask you why UCL, they never asked me that however. Instead the guy asked something along the lines of 'It says here that you enjoy mechanisms, so if you wanted to make an amine how would you go about making it?' he then proceeded to draw ethene on the whiteboard and said 'How would you make that into an haloalkane?' That was quite an easy question. He then asked how would you detect ethene in a infrared spectrometer and why? He also asked about how bonds absorb energy. After that - which took about 10-15 minutes and there were other questions I don't remember - he asked me about my hobbies and interests in the last 5 minutes or so. :smile:

Hmmmm, that is really detailed thanks a lot! That seems quite hard though :tongue:! For the amine one , do you just react the haloalkane with excess ammonia and ethanol to form the amine and it would be nucleophilic substition?
Ethene to a haloalkane? react with CL2/BR2 ?

and for the IR spectrum, would there be an absorption due to the C=C ?
Hmmmm, that is really detailed thanks a lot! That seems quite hard though :tongue:! For the amine one , do you just react the haloalkane with excess ammonia and ethanol to form the amine and it would be nucleophilic substition?
Ethene to a haloalkane? react with CL2/BR2 ?

and for the IR spectrum, would there be an absorption due to the C=C ?

No problem :smile: For the amine question I said would react an alkane such as ethane with KCN and that would be nucleophilic substitution, I would then get propanenitrile which I would then reduce using H2 with a Ni catalyst but I think it depends how your school thought it. We also learnt the ammonia way but then we learnt how it leads to further substitution.
Yep it could be them or HBr or HCl and C=C is also correct. :biggrin:
Considering if my teachers allow me to retake some AS units (again :colondollar:) then i will have 7 exams in may/june:

English Literature (OCR) AS paper
English Literature (OCR) A2 Paper

History (EDEXCEL) AS Paper (British Political History)
History (EDEXCEL) A2 Paper

Classical Civilisation (AQA) A2 Paper - The Aenid
Classical Civilisation (AQA) A2 Paper - Greek Tragedy
Classical Civilisation (AQA) AS paper - Cicero
No problem :smile: For the amine question I said would react an alkane such as ethane with KCN and that would be nucleophilic substitution, I would then get propanenitrile which I would then reduce using H2 with a Ni catalyst but I think it depends how your school thought it. We also learnt the ammonia way but then we learnt how it leads to further substitution.
Yep it could be them or HBr or HCl and C=C is also correct. :biggrin:

What board do you do? I do OCR A.
Ah, I can see the reduction way of doing, it probably is a better answer than using ammonia. Yeah, why would you be able to detect ethene in IR?

Quick Reply

Latest