The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolface32
Here is a little Radiation question!

If one litre of milk contaminated with iodine-131 gives a count rate of 400 counts/second, how long will it take for the count rate to fall to 25 counts/second? Half life of Iodine-131 is 8 DAYS!

Would appreciate if someone asked me a hard question btw!

32 days

How long would it take for the count rate to fall to 35.5counts/second?
Reply 121
Original post by Dalek1099
32 days

Well done! Can you ask me a tough question please, this forum is dead, it is only at like 9 where people will start flooding in !
Reply 122
Does anybody know where I can find the mark scheme for the Physics Unit 2 paper in June 2012???
Well done! Can you ask me a tough question please, this forum is dead, it is only at like 9 where people will start flooding in !

I did how long for it too decay to 35.5 counts per second.
Question:
A small, radio-controlled flying toy is hovering in the air. It has a weight of 0.6 Newtons (N) and the fan is pushing 1.5 kg of air downwards every 10 seconds.
Calculate the velocity at which the toy is hovering.

EQUATIONS:

MOMENTUM = MASS x VELOCITY

FORCE = CHANGE IN MOMENTUM/TIME TAKEN
Reply 125
Can anyone help me with this question..? I really don't get it :/

Plutonium-239 has a half-life of 24,200 years and decays into uranium-235 with a half-life of 703 million years.

A sample of plutonium-239 of mass 0.8kg is being stored. How many years will pass before the sample contains 0.7kg of uranium-235? Show clearly how you work out your answer. (3marks)

And as for the 6 mark questions I think that there's a possibility of maybe like explaining the Rutherfords experiment and his conclusions.. Just a guess :/
Reply 126
Original post by bbadonde2
Question:
A small, radio-controlled flying toy is hovering in the air. It has a weight of 0.6 Newtons (N) and the fan is pushing 1.5 kg of air downwards every 10 seconds.

EQUATIONS:

4 m/s
Original post by bbadonde2
Question:

EQUATIONS:

You don't need to know this btw
Reply 128
Original post by Efemena15
You don't need to know this btw

No you do, why would you not need to know? Besides, it is not hard at all!
Original post by Arshii
Can anyone help me with this question..? I really don't get it :/

Plutonium-239 has a half-life of 24,200 years and decays into uranium-235 with a half-life of 703 million years.

A sample of plutonium-239 of mass 0.8kg is being stored. How many years will pass before the sample contains 0.7kg of uranium-235? Show clearly how you work out your answer. (3marks)

And as for the 6 mark questions I think that there's a possibility of maybe like explaining the Rutherfords experiment and his conclusions.. Just a guess :/

every 24,200 the mass of plutonium halves and that must turn into unranium 235 because of alpha decay so after 24,200 years there will be o.4 kg of plutonium and 0.4kg of uranium
then after another 24,200 years the o.4 kg of plutonium becomes 0.2kg of pluto and 0.2 of U (so now there is 0.6kg of U )

can you do the last step now ?
Reply 130
Original post by techno836
every 24,200 the mass of plutonium halves and that must turn into unranium 235 because of alpha decay so after 24,200 years there will be o.4 kg of plutonium and 0.4kg of uranium
then after another 24,200 years the o.4 kg of plutonium becomes 0.2kg of pluto and 0.2 of U (so now there is 0.6kg of U )

can you do the last step now ?

So you halve it again....
0.1kg of plutonium...
0.7kg of uranium...?
There are 3 halve lives so, 24200*3 = 72600 years...?
No you do, why would you not need to know? Besides, it is not hard at all!

If you click on "what's changed" for p2, it says relationship between force, change in momentum and time

http://www.sciencelab.org.uk/gcses/physics-whats-changed.php
Original post by Efemena15
If you click on "what's changed" for p2, it says relationship between force, change in momentum and time

http://www.sciencelab.org.uk/gcses/physics-whats-changed.php

Yes but it is to do with momentum
Reply 133
Original post by AnbarH
Does anybody know where I can find the mark scheme for the Physics Unit 2 paper in June 2012???

AQA-PH2HP-W-MS-Jun12.pdf

Here's the mark scheme for June 2012 Physics 2 Higher Paper - new spec :smile:
Reply 134
-Nuclear Fission& Fusion
- Uses of Radiation
- Forces in Action
-Car safety( I doubt it though)
-Stars (Doubt this to)

I have a feeling that the 6 marker will be on the advantages and disadvantages on RCCB and fuses
Original post by Arshii
So you halve it again....
0.1kg of plutonium...
0.7kg of uranium...?
There are 3 halve lives so, 24200*3 = 72600 years...?

yes :smile:
Reply 136
6 marker guys? any ideas?
Original post by V.M
I have a feeling that the 6 marker will be on the advantages and disadvantages on RCCB and fuses

I can't think of many points on that... RCCB quicker and easier to reset, but possibly more expensive originally. Fuses do the job but can be slower and costly to get the fuse repaired. Both prevent harm to appliance & user. What else?
Reply 138
Original post by Arshii
AQA-PH2HP-W-MS-Jun12.pdf

Here's the mark scheme for June 2012 Physics 2 Higher Paper - new spec :smile:

Thank you!!!
Reply 139
Original post by V.M

There is a possibility of anything coming up! So many six mark topics! I forgot about the plum & pudding model, RCCB's, Filament bulb, a very large variety!

Latest

Trending

Trending