The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smartarse1983
Can a school take you on for placement if they are about to be OFSTED-ed? The school I am about to go to is due a level 5 inspection sometime between now and July, and by the sounds of things, its a make or break one, because the last 2 smaller inspections were not very good.

As already established, this is certainly possible. Both of my placement schools were expecting Ofsted inspections. The first had Ofsted the week after our placement finished, the other is still waiting. My main placement school were on edge for the entire placement, making sure everything was perfect [planning, marking, assessment, class displays etc] just in case they got the call. :redface:

A few of my friends had Ofsted in during their placements and they just had to hand over to the normal class teacher when Ofsted wanted to observe.

It might mean the school staff are tense and chances are most staff meetings will mention it, but it shouldn't be a problem. :smile:
PGCE not only killing me then!!! So glad I found this thread xD

Taken the day off of classes today because 1) They're useless in comparison to placement and I'm pissed they interrupted placement to make us go back to classes for a week and 2) because I decided to give myself some time to write my personal statement for NQT posts. Completely clueless!!! Arrrrrgh!!!
SO glad I've found some like minded pgce'ers!

I am so overwhelmed by it all. Workload seems unbearable, brain never switches off, but time teaching the students is still the best...so eventually the good outweighs the bad.

I think this thread has just saved the last bit of sanity I have!

Thank you all! :biggrin:
Reply 1803
Original post by missstressed
SO glad I've found some like minded pgce'ers!

I am so overwhelmed by it all. Workload seems unbearable, brain never switches off, but time teaching the students is still the best...so eventually the good outweighs the bad.

I think this thread has just saved the last bit of sanity I have!

Thank you all! :biggrin:

I'm impressed by the positives in your post! The bit with the kids is why I want to teach. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only 1 more lesson and placement 1 is finished! :biggrin: very happy to be halfway through! Although very sad to leave my school, wish I could have 2 weeks at uni then come back to be honest haha!
Next placement is like 18-19 miles closer than my last one, words cannot describe how much happier that makes me.
Original post by robo donkey
Next placement is like 18-19 miles closer than my last one, words cannot describe how much happier that makes me.

Yay! :smile:

I find out mine tomorrow, but have a suspicion it's going to be about 15 miles further than the last, as they've said they don't have any schools in the north of the county this time round and I'm probably due a city school next anyway. :s-smilie:

Still, it's only for a few months. There's no way I'm commuting that far when I get a job, definitely moving.

Speaking of which, has anyone else started applying for jobs yet?
Can't believe I'm here, tomorrow is my last teaching day for my first placement. Just a residential trip next week and then I'm halfway there! Amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How's it all going?

I would say now is a perfect time to start getting your letters of application/personal statements sorted out! Check out TES jobseekers forum as it is filled with lots of hints and tips for the perfect application form! :smile:
I have an interview next Thursday :smile: was supposed to have one this Tuesday but I got terrible food poisoning and couldn't go!! Was so disappointed!! Any tips on doing a great interview lesson? I'm secondary by the way.
Original post by StarBabyCat
I have an interview next Thursday :smile: was supposed to have one this Tuesday but I got terrible food poisoning and couldn't go!! Was so disappointed!! Any tips on doing a great interview lesson? I'm secondary by the way.

Congratulations on getting an interview. You're doing History, aren't you?

I sent an application a few days ago and the deadline was today, so hopefully I'll find out if I've been invited to interview early next week. Found another job I want to apply for now too.

Someone on my course already has a job and a few of us have started applying, but others are holding off for a bit. Our course tutor has advised to wait until we start our 2nd placement to have more of an idea what kind of school we want to work in, but I'd rather focus on applications now when I have a bit more time...
Original post by myrtille
Congratulations on getting an interview. You're doing History, aren't you?

I sent an application a few days ago and the deadline was today, so hopefully I'll find out if I've been invited to interview early next week. Found another job I want to apply for now too.

Someone on my course already has a job and a few of us have started applying, but others are holding off for a bit. Our course tutor has advised to wait until we start our 2nd placement to have more of an idea what kind of school we want to work in, but I'd rather focus on applications now when I have a bit more time...

If you can gain interviews at this early stage [when you have less experience to draw upon in your PS and during the interview itself] then that is no bad thing. But, I'd definitely recommend that you think about the type of school you want - don't feel like you have to accept the first one.

A friend of mine did that. She had three interviews lined up but was offered a job at the first one, so didn't go to the others. Now she is having an awful time and there appears to be an awful lot of problems in the school, meaning they take on around 20 NQTs each year and less than 10% ever stay on after the NQT is done. :frown:
Original post by affinity89
If you can gain interviews at this early stage [when you have less experience to draw upon in your PS and during the interview itself] then that is no bad thing. But, I'd definitely recommend that you think about the type of school you want - don't feel like you have to accept the first one.

A friend of mine did that. She had three interviews lined up but was offered a job at the first one, so didn't go to the others. Now she is having an awful time and there appears to be an awful lot of problems in the school, meaning they take on around 20 NQTs each year and less than 10% ever stay on after the NQT is done. :frown:

I agree. Interviews can be great experience and you'll learn something more with every one you have, be it something schools want of something you want!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I couldn't be more certain; it was my placement 1 school and I absolutely adore it. But having said that, I couldn't really afford to be picky, I can't relocate and my subject isn't a shortage one. That, and my partner is a store manager at a certain high street retailer that is in dire straits, we're expecting him to be made redundant any day. So I am pretty keen to get a job as we're going to be in a lot of trouble and we have our 2 year old daughter to support.
Original post by affinity89

Oh yeah, I'm definitely being picky in terms of where I apply and will be carefully considering at interview whether I want to work in that school. Which is why I'm applying early. If I don't have a job lined up by the time of the summer term, I'll start being less picky, but for now I'm going to be selective.

The only job I've applied for so far is in a reasonably good school (not amazing but one of the better schools in its area) and I know someone who has worked as a TA in the department who has been quite positive about the school and particularly the staff in that department. So it sounds promising - will just have to see if I get an interview.
First job applied for. Smashing.

Also started second placement today, got a desk, today is the greatest day of my career to date.
I'm just going to update date that with one of my oldest friends, who at a different Uni, is also on placement there and we just randomly bumped into each other not realising we were both there. This placement is the gift that keeps on giving :biggrin:

So how are y'all doing?
Bricking it about my interview on Thursday :s-smilie::
Original post by StarBabyCat
Bricking it about my interview on Thursday :s-smilie::

I've just found out that I've got an interview on Thursday too! But the message I got said they'd be sending me an email with further details and I haven't received that yet (and yes I have checked that I put the right address on the form!), so am going to be a bit short of time for planning an interview lesson and so on. :s-smilie:

Luckily tomorrow afternoon's university session is an optional workshop so I've pulled out of that to give myself a bit of extra time.
Good luck with your interviews! Don't forget to enjoy the experience whatever happens- I had five interviews in total and can honestly say each one was a good experience (even the slightly weird one!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad app

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending