The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Efemena15
Explain how alpha and beta radiations are deflected by an electric field but gamma radiation is not (4 marks)

Alpha radiation consists of a positively charged particles, and so it will be repulsed by another positive charge, where as beta radiation consists of high energy electrons( which are negatively charged) and so will repel against a negatively charged field. However, gamma radiation is uncharged, so it will not be deflected at all:biggrin:
Explain how alpha and beta radiations are deflected by an electric field but gamma radiation is not (4 marks)

Alpha particles contain 2 protons which possess a positive charge, which is why they would be deflected by the electrical field and beta particles are basically fast moving electrons with a negative charge of -1, which is why they would also be deflected.

Gamma radiation is emitted as a wave, which means it cannot possess an electrical charge

Why is a beta particle deflected at a greater angle by an electrical field than a Alpha particle?

- alpha has a mr of 4 so it has mass, making it highly ionising and easily deflected
- beta has mr of 1/1860 so still some mass and is slightly deflected
- gamma is a ray/wave so it it doesnt particularly have mass and isnt deflected by the electric field :smile:
Original post by SuccessAYB
Can somebody just give a quick answer on 'the life of stars' and how stars are formed...

Go a few pages back. There is a good explanation there :smile: Page 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LemonFish
Alpha particles contain 2 protons which possess a positive charge, which is why they would be deflected by the electrical field and beta particles are basically fast moving electrons with a negative charge of -1, which is why they would also be deflected.

Gamma radiation is emitted as a wave, which means it cannot possess an electrical charge

Why is a beta particle deflected at a greater angle by an electrical field than a Alpha particle?

Beta particles have a smaller mass so are more easily attracted to the positive side of the electric/magnetic field
Reply 165
Good luck guys, did this exam in june so I would say revise nuclear fission and fusion for sure because it didnt come up in our exam and life of stars.
Reply 166
i'd love it if the six marker was on the life cycle of stars
Original post by ayshac94
i'd love it if the six marker was on the life cycle of stars

Can you explain to me the life cycle of stars like our sun (6 marks)
Reply 168
Can you explain to me the life cycle of stars like our sun (6 marks)

i watched this, it explains it really well :smile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmF7qZn3jU4&list=PL129D5CD08325652A

Haha thanks but I've already seen it, I was checking if you knew
Reply 170
Haha thanks but I've already seen it, I was checking if you knew

something like this maybe?
Stars are born in nebulae. Huge clouds of dust and gas collapse under gravitational forces, forming protostars. These young stars undergo further collapse, forming main sequence stars.

Stars expand as they grow old. As the core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core contacts and the outer layers expand, cool, and become less bright. This is a red giant or a red super giant (depending on the initial mass of the star). It will eventually collapse and explode. Its fate is determined by the original mass of the star; it will become either a red dwarf, neutron star, or black hole.
Reply 171
Guys, do we have to know ALL the formulas, in the mock we were given them all? Would they do that again?
Reply 172
Original post by lolface32
Guys, do we have to know ALL the formulas, in the mock we were given them all? Would they do that again?

we're given them:smile:
Do you guys know much about regenerative braking?
Reply 174
Does anyone have the examiner report for the Unit 2 test in June 2012? Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lolface32

Given them all but not given speed = distance/time which we were told by our teacher we'd need to know - pretty basic anyway.
Reply 176
something like this maybe?
Stars are born in nebulae. Huge clouds of dust and gas collapse under gravitational forces, forming protostars. These young stars undergo further collapse, forming main sequence stars.

Stars expand as they grow old. As the core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core contacts and the outer layers expand, cool, and become less bright. This is a red giant or a red super giant (depending on the initial mass of the star). It will eventually collapse and explode. Its fate is determined by the original mass of the star; it will become either a red dwarf, neutron star, or black hole.

Whats a red dwarf? :tongue:
Do you guys know much about regenerative braking?

Basically instead of a normal braking syste,, when using regenerative braking the motor of the car goes into reverse slowing the car down. This saves the loss of heat energy. Simple
Guys still awake got the exam tomorrow afternoon right?
Reply 179
Original post by BI0
Whats a red dwarf? :tongue:

A small, old, relatively cool star :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending