The Student Room Group

Healthiest way to lose two stone and get fit for summer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Just eat healthy foods and exercise then you should be fine.....By healthy foods i don't mean those cereals advertised as low in fat, etc. This is what i mean by healthy foods:-

Carbs (slow digesting) - Brown Rice, Sweet Potatoes, Oats, fruits, vegetables [I hate eating vegetables :frown:]

Protein :- Chicken Breast, salmon, turkey breast, lean beef, etc (lean meat in general) I personally go to gym so i take protein suppliments aswell.

Fats:- Avocado, Coconut oil, Olive oil, Snack on almonds or other nuts, etc.

If you want to lose weight, eat less calories than what your body burns in a day......Eg:- if i need to take 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight.....then i should be eating around 1600 calories a day to lose weight......
7.7 is underweight and probably not healthy at all maybe 8.5 is more realistic.

you're current weight is fine, im shorter than you and still healthy at 9stone (ish) i think you should be looking to lose fat but gain muscle rather than lose weight all together..

I've switched all my snacks for vegetables and tea and coffee to green tea to reduce my blood pressure..i have no idea if its having any effect on my weight cause i dont have any weighing scales :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
If you lose even one and a half stone you'll be underweight enough to be able to be diagnosed with anorexia. You have a perfectly healthy BMI now, but if you insist on losing weight make sure it's only a few pounds.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
7 and a half stone is not healthy for that height. You'll end up in hospital - seriously.

Sometimes girls just have the right body type, some don't. I'm not picking on you here - I'm a chunky guy, 15 stone and 5'11 - my brother is the same height as me and 5 stone less! He's naturally skinny though, I'm not. He got my dad's build, I got my mum's. Doesn't stop me being a bit envious though - he's got the weight and the cute baby face, I got shafted on that front :laugh:.

Try losing a stone (at the absolute maximum) and tone up. Sometimes toning up is the answer, not losing weight.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Eat less and move more, that's the recipe for success.

Edit: Seems that someone can't understand the basic premise of weight lose.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by FallonSmith
Hi guys,

I currently weigh 9.7 stone, 5 foot 7, average build. My weight always seems to fluctuate, the heaviest I have been is 12 stone, the smallest I have been is 8.5 stone. I really want to get fit and healthy for summer as I never really feel confident getting into a bikini or walking in shorts and a crop top, but this year I want things to change.

My diet is pretty healthy I believe, although I am guessing it could be improved. On an average day I will eat:

Breakfast: Bowl of cornflakes with milk, 2 coffees with milk and sugar.

Lunch: Soup or supernoodles.

Dinner: Usually something from the freezer like breaded chicken, salad, wedges or sausage, beans and chips, or fish + chips, mushy peas.

The exercise I do is usually walking for 40 minutes a day to and from lectures, as I can't find time to go the gym ideally so I try to cut my food intake to make up for that factor.

Any tips or food ideas to lose weight? I want to lose 2 stone and hopefully weigh somewhere around the 7.7 mark.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't read other peoples' replies, sorry if I double mention things that have come up before.

You're right. Diet not too bad but it can be a lot better.

Breakfast: Milk is not unhealthy, but can be in large quantities. After all, adult humans weren't originally designed to drink milk. Try swapping your cereal with porridge made with hot water for a couple mornings a week. If you don't like the taste much, just have a bit with some chopped up berries or an apple or banana for flavour. Slow release of energy, keeps you relatively full until lunch :smile:

Lunch: Soup=yay. Supernoodles=nay. Eating a sandwich would be healthier. I'd recommend soup (with rivita not bread if possible), salads or the occasional salad wrap or sandwich.

Dinner: Freezer food? no no no. You were doing alright until dinner, of which there is little I'd regard as healthy. Friday and saturday night treat dinners of battered fish, breaded chicken and chips are okay, but other than that no. Salad is good, but it's more of a lunch snack rather than something to fill you up for a big dinner. Breast of chicken, lots and lots of vegetables to fill up, and a little bit of rice or potatoes is a good meal. Alternate things to switch the chicken with is salmon or cod (not battered!). Other kinds of meats (like red meats) are fine but as an occasional thing not a regular thing. Occasional meals can also be pastas, but maybe reserve that for treat nights. Also, no puddings, or at least only once a week.

7.7 stone (not sure if you mean 7 stone 7 pounds or literally 7.7 stone) would take your BMI to 16 or 17 ish. This is underweight for your height and age. It is not a good or healthy weight. It's not even slightly underweight, or manageably underweight, it's properly underweight. I don't want to burst your dreams of losing 2 stone and I'm not saying don't lose any weight at all. I'm here to give advice and tips on how to lose weight based on my own experiences, but I can't give this advice without pointing out that your dream weight is dangerous and probably quite frankly, unreachable anyway. Would be very very hard once you reach a certain weight to lose any more given your height, unless you started living off one peanut a day or something (please don't).

Nevertheless, if you meant you are 9 stone and 7 pounds right now, according to the bmi calculated, around 8 stone 7 pounds would put you at the boundary, yes the boundary (!) of underweight/healthy weight. Aim to lose a max of one stone and no more!

Finally, obviously cut out or considerably cut down on sweet treats and lots of bread, as well as fatty nuts (like peanuts). Healthy nuts are good snacks though :smile: And perhaps try to do some kind of exercise more than just the walking you do. Getting up 20 minutes earlier to go for a short run might not do harm :smile: Or taking time out for a visit to the gym, even if it is only once every week or two. Every little helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
Oh no I can't believe they were considering taking you to a doctor that must have been awful! I'm glad that you feel happy with your size now though. That's what I always thought, so many girls I know are size 6/8 and I look at them and think 'wow i want their body if only!' although it's probably down to good genes mainly which I unfortunately don't have. My mum uses the slow cooker, I'll have to ask her how to use it but that's a great idea and sounds relatively cheap too! I'm always worrying where my next meal will come from as I can't find a job at uni and my loan only stretches so far, hence the convenient freezer food.

I know what you mean, but being that size is, as you say, down to genes rather than being 'fat' or 'skinny'. I never really dropped a dress size when I lost weight because it just starts going from other places like your face, arms, legs etc- which is what made me look icky. Slow cookers are great and there are some really healthy, cheap student recipes you can make, like this one:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7738/betterthanbaked-beans-with-spicy-wedges

Made it the other day and because the wedges are made from scratch (which is really quick and easy) you can control the amount of salt/oil that goes into them, so waaaay healthier than freezer wedges! I think it cost no more than £2 to make and I got 4 meals out of it! Just buy cheap chopped tomatoes to save money :smile:
All I can say is that losing weight is mostly down to just changing your diet and then the rest is left to exercise. By changing my diet it is helping me to lose the weight I want to before summer. Do exercise you want to do and will enjoy as well otherwise you will constantly dread it!
That's very shallow.
And more to the point, since when has 9 and a half stone ever been fat for a 5ft 7 girl?

Actually it is anything but shallow. How your body looks is a result of your actions, thus to judge someone on their looks is a wise idea.

Original post by kunoichi
you were wrong about soup :tongue:

soup's an amazing meal if its decent homemade stuff and not that crap out of a tin. i dont even need bread with it to fill me up. (which is good really as bread is bad tbh)

No it is not. Give me a break down of the calorie and protein intake and then tell me it is "good" :redface:
Reply 69
Original post by Jimbo1234

No it is not. Give me a break down of the calorie and protein intake and then tell me it is "good" :redface:

carrot and coriander soup 115 kcalories, protein 3g, carbohydrate 19g, fat 4 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 5g, sugar 12g, salt 0.46 g

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7003/carrot-and-coriander-soup

That was the only one i make that i could find the breakdown for. You could easily reduce the carbs by removing the potato.
Original post by kunoichi
carrot and coriander soup 115 kcalories, protein 3g, carbohydrate 19g, fat 4 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 5g, sugar 12g, salt 0.46 g

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7003/carrot-and-coriander-soup

That was the only one i make that i could find the breakdown for. You could easily reduce the carbs by removing the potato.

115 kcalories? :rofl:
That is a small snack at best. Your lunch should be 800 calories or more. By having soup you will be close to skipping a meal.
And then when you see that most of it is sugar/carbs, with more fat than protein.......it is a dire choice in every way.
That is a small snack at best. Your lunch should be 800 calories or more. By having soup you will be close to skipping a meal.
And then when you see that most of it is sugar/carbs, with more fat than protein.......it is a dire choice in every way.

800 Calories seems a lot for one meal... to each their own...
Original post by Care-Free
800 Calories seems a lot for one meal... to each their own...

No, this is simple facts. If you do exercise, you need to hit your calorie target or get close to it. Having 115 cals of crap will make you miss your target drastically and will only cause you problems.
No, this is simple facts. If you do exercise, you need to hit your calorie target or get close to it. Having 115 cals of crap will make you miss your target drastically and will only cause you problems.

Just a passing comment, 800 cals in one meal just never occurred to me i wasn't doubting you i trust your judgement, as someone who probably doesn't even get 800 cals in a day im in no position to claim any kind of knowledge on a healthy lifestyle.
Reply 74

Well it makes me happy :tongue:
Reply 75
Haha you may have a point! I don't mean anorexic skinny, more like Michelle Keegan/Lucy Meck etc. They have good bodies and yet they're around the 8stone mark.

Ignore it, you'll get more guys eying you up if you fill a bikini than you would if you was literally skin and bone!

Any reason for the friends request anyway? :smile:

How is a bowl of what is pretty much mushed vegetable "crap". There's nothing wrong with having a smaller lunch and a larger dinner; I've done it all my life. A small snack for lunch and then a healthy balanced dinner.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
How is a bowl of what is pretty much mushed vegetable "crap". There's nothing wrong with having a smaller lunch and a larger dinner; I've done it all my life. A small snack for lunch and then a healthy balanced dinner.

Ok, what should a healthy meal contain in terms of core food types eg. protein, carbs etc?

And everything is wrong with a small lunch. If you want to seriously lose weight and look good, not just chubby or skinny-fat, then you need to eat a lot of good food and exercise well.
As I said before, this is not up for debate.This has been known about since the early 70's.

Original post by Care-Free
Just a passing comment, 800 cals in one meal just never occurred to me i wasn't doubting you i trust your judgement, as someone who probably doesn't even get 800 cals in a day im in no position to claim any kind of knowledge on a healthy lifestyle.

:lolwut:
Oh jeez, if that is the case then please see a doctor as you would class as anorexic.
Ok, what should a healthy meal contain in terms of core food types eg. protein, carbs etc?

And everything is wrong with a small lunch. If you want to seriously lose weight and look good, not just chubby or skinny-fat, then you need to eat a lot of good food and exercise well.
As I said before, this is not up for debate.This has been known about since the early 70's.

:lolwut:
Oh jeez, if that is the case then please see a doctor as you would class as anorexic.

recovered :smile: perfectly healthy weight now :smile:
Getting into shape is fairly easy - for guys or girls - if you eat well and train right. But if it's so easy, why are so many people not in shape? Well, cos of stuff like this:

I really want to get fit and healthy for summer as I never really feel confident getting into a bikini or walking in shorts and a crop top, but this year I want things to change.

Original post by Barden
lolno

sorry but everything from the freezer is going to be relatively unhealthy

I can't afford fresh food

Everybody has excuses.

Quick Reply

Latest