The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dissappointed in Aydin. As one of the commentators pointed out, It might have been the wrong fight to take just after changing trainers
Original post by oh-my-diddy
Stiverne has all the talent

Seriously? In every fight I've seen of his he's looked pretty unskilled and has shown nothing other than having a big punch.

I expect Arreola to take this, but if he fights Fury (whose fight with Johnson was also meant to be a WBC eliminator, like this one) he will lose.

Having said that, with two big punchers going at it, this should be an entertaining one.

Vyacheslav Glazkov v Malik Scott on February 23 will probably not be very entertaining, but both fighters are far more skilled than Arreola/Stiverne and the winner of that stands a far better chance against the Klitschkos.
Original post by Advanced
Seriously? In every fight I've seen of his he's looked pretty unskilled and has shown nothing other than having a big punch.

I expect Arreola to take this, but if he fights Fury (whose fight with Johnson was also meant to be a WBC eliminator, like this one) he will lose.

Having said that, with two big punchers going at it, this should be an entertaining one.

Vyacheslav Glazkov v Malik Scott on February 23 will probably not be very entertaining, but both fighters are far more skilled than Arreola/Stiverne and the winner of that stands a far better chance against the Klitschkos.

What I meant was out of the two, arreola and stiverne, stiverne has the better skill set, the ability to box if he has to and the better fundamentals. I'm not saying he's the best boxer in the HW division or even near it, i'm just saying i've seen him box at times in fights whereas arreola is a more aggressive come forward fighter (more like a HW version of Antonio Margarito).

As i said, I think arreola will get the KO because he has shown better ability to overcome tough situations and with a fight like this where both fighters have ridiculous power and leaky defenses, both are going to get hit eventually and i expect arreola to come out on top.

I haven't seen much of Glazkov but I did see his fight with Tor Hamer and he looked decent in there. I'm gonna wait till i see a few more of his fights before i make a proper judgement on him though.
What I meant was out of the two, arreola and stiverne, stiverne has the better skill set, the ability to box if he has to and the better fundamentals. I'm not saying he's the best boxer in the HW division or even near it, i'm just saying i've seen him box at times in fights whereas arreola is a more aggressive come forward fighter (more like a HW version of Antonio Margarito).

As i said, I think arreola will get the KO because he has shown better ability to overcome tough situations and with a fight like this where both fighters have ridiculous power and leaky defenses, both are going to get hit eventually and i expect arreola to come out on top.

I haven't seen much of Glazkov but I did see his fight with Tor Hamer and he looked decent in there. I'm gonna wait till i see a few more of his fights before i make a proper judgement on him though.

Fair enough, Stiverne had a decent amateur career (stopped Price and beat Helenius) but has stagnated in the pros.

Glazkov has all the tools, excellent jabs and boxes well. Scott has excellent speed and reflexes which today's HWs lack, put on an absolute clinic and schooled his opponent in his last fight, but lacks power.

On a side note, Tyson Fury is (apparently) fighting Steve Cunningham next. Cunningham is a good fighter but I think Fury is just far too big for him and his defence and all-round game have tightened up in his last few fights too.
Original post by Advanced
Fair enough, Stiverne had a decent amateur career (stopped Price and beat Helenius) but has stagnated in the pros.

Glazkov has all the tools, excellent jabs and boxes well. Scott has excellent speed and reflexes which today's HWs lack, put on an absolute clinic and schooled his opponent in his last fight, but lacks power.

On a side note, Tyson Fury is (apparently) fighting Steve Cunningham next. Cunningham is a good fighter but I think Fury is just far too big for him and his defence and all-round game have tightened up in his last few fights too.

Well they say professional boxing is a whole different ball game than amateur boxing, just look at Audley Harrison lol.

Yeah I was impressed with fury in his last fight. I was also impressed with cunninghams performance against adamek. But fury is no tomasz adamek and i think he's on a different level to cunningham altogether. I think Cunningham will put up a good fight though!

Yeah I was impressed with fury in his last fight. I was also impressed with cunninghams performance against adamek. But fury is no tomasz adamek and i think he's on a different level to cunningham altogether. I think Cunningham will put up a good fight though!

18 months ago this might have been a dangerous fight, but Tyson has improved tremendously since he began training with Peter Fury. Cunningham is still a reasonable opponent, and a decent name on Fury's record, but he's not on Tyson's level. If Vitali retires, I would back Fury to become WBC champion ahead of Arreola, Stiverne and even Haye.
Yeah agree no doubt. Don't think haye gonna be in the boxing game much longer, he said he only wants to fight vitali and i don't think vitali or his team want haye. Also tyson fury is very young for a heavyweight at only 24 so imagine how good he will be by the time he turns 30 lol
Worrying news emerging about Muhammed Ali. Let's hope he pulls through for a little longer.
Even though he denies it now, I'm sure Haye would be willing to take a fight with Fury or Price if the money was right and it was for a world title.
Phew! Ali's all good. :smile:
So devon alexander pulled out of the kell brook fight. smh first danny garcia and now alexander. i feel like we're being robbed of great fights, thats boxing for you
I was looking forward to the Alexander/Brook fight, a shame. Must be annoying beyonds for Brook; he's stuck to a regime and now he is in no mans land waiting for when it might be re-arranged.

Boxing's a very physical sport, even in sparring so it's not inconceivable that injuries occur. But it'd be infuriating if fighters were pulling out due to niggles that could be handled throughout a fight. Just imagine if David Haye had pulled out of his fight with Wladimir because he hurt his little toe? LOL. Don't know what's worse, if he said it before the fight or after?

Garcia apparently has pulled out of the fight with no real reason. Read an article that suggested he used Judah for marketing purposes or maybe his head's been turned by a potential rematch with Khan and more money to be made.
lol i know. I think brook might just get in an early replacement "warm-up fight" like they all do, while he waits for alexander to heal from his injury. Yeah most of the time these injuries are genuine and i can understand why a fighter won't want to commit when he knows he's not 100% fit, but i get the feeling this kind of excuse is being taken advantage of waaaaaay too much man by so many fighters.

lol david haye was and always will be a bs talker. He can talk the talk very well (probably one of the best trash talkers in modern boxing history) but when it comes down to it, he underperforms. Although in alot of peoples eyes he has redeemed himself after that debacle with chisora and the performance to back it up.

Apparently garcia suffered a broken rib, he posted a pic on his twitter i think. so maybe his injury might be more serious or something but to blow something like this out of proportion is very easy. Too much politics involved to know what the real situation is tbh.
Reply 4573
No need to panic, the Brook Alexander fight is still on. Just gotta find a new date.
News just in: seth mitchell vs jonathan banks fight postponed due to banks having a thumb injury lol. I know this isn't as big a fight as the other two but come on thats 3 fights postponed now.
Floyd Mayweather has thrown a potential spanner in the works for Brook/Alexander by tweeting that the latter is the front runner for him in a unification bout. IBF have said Devon will have to drop his belt if he wants to fight Floyd and Eddie Hearn is optimistic that the original fight will take place.

Mayweather vs. Alexander or Mayweather vs. Guerrero? The latter is a much better proposition than the latter but both will be winnable fights for Floyd.

I'm more intrigued by Alexander's alleged fight with Kell Brook, which was supposed to be for the IBF strap and as a fan, more appealing for me. Alexander has a "bicep injury" which it seems conveniently will recover in time, for, I don't know - May 4th?! Brook's promoter Eddie Hearn says he is going to look into this and I hope he succeeds in getting Alexander to face his mandatory rather than go for a big payday and lose against Floyd.

It depends what matters most to Devon; retaining his world title against an up and comer like Brook or facing Mayweather for a pay-check and losing. If it's the latter, he'll have to give up his belt. He's got a much better chance of beating Brook and then facing Mayweather possibly if Floyd doesn't have an opponent for the September bill which is unlikely as rumours suggest he'll go against Alvarez so that might be in Devon's mind aswell.
Original post by Aky786UK
Floyd Mayweather has thrown a potential spanner in the works for Brook/Alexander by tweeting that the latter is the front runner for him in a unification bout. IBF have said Devon will have to drop his belt if he wants to fight Floyd and Eddie Hearn is optimistic that the original fight will take place.

Mayweather vs. Alexander or Mayweather vs. Guerrero? The latter is a much better proposition than the latter but both will be winnable fights for Floyd.

I'm more intrigued by Alexander's alleged fight with Kell Brook, which was supposed to be for the IBF strap and as a fan, more appealing for me. Alexander has a "bicep injury" which it seems conveniently will recover in time, for, I don't know - May 4th?! Brook's promoter Eddie Hearn says he is going to look into this and I hope he succeeds in getting Alexander to face his mandatory rather than go for a big payday and lose against Floyd.

It depends what matters most to Devon; retaining his world title against an up and comer like Brook or facing Mayweather for a pay-check and losing. If it's the latter, he'll have to give up his belt. He's got a much better chance of beating Brook and then facing Mayweather possibly if Floyd doesn't have an opponent for the September bill which is unlikely as rumours suggest he'll go against Alvarez so that might be in Devon's mind aswell.

floyd is bs'ing. and news has come out that the wba and ibf have refused to sanction that fight. floyd will win that fight easily and everyone knows it. i wanna see the brook vs alexander fight and hope alexander isn't trying to duck brook or something. mayweather v guererro is a better match up.

just saw carl framtons KO over kiko martiinez. Impressive KO but not a brilliant performance. He was getting hit flush at times with his hands low and getting alot of fans like me worried. at the end of the day he got the win and i can see him hitting the world stage very soon, i think he has a lot of potential. seems like a cerebral fighter too which is good.
What does everyone think about Adrien Broners performance on saturday night and his potential? some people are saying broner got exposed in the early round but i don't think so. Rees was just way too small for him imo. i'd like to see broner vs vazquez if he beats ricky burns (which i think he does). i think vazquez has a good shot at beating broner:

Broner seemed to win fairly comfortably, although I might agree that he was a touch sloppy defensively in the first 2 rounds.

I was actually quite impressed by Rees' performance - the guy is a true hard nut. He clocked Broner quite a few times, yet unfortunately didn't have the power to get his attention. But I think considering the size difference he gave it everything you could expect.

Also, Broner struck me as actually quite a nice guy once he wandered over to Rees during the interview. All of that arrogant stuff is obviously just for the camera.

Broner posseses some great skills - let's just see how they come out against a more evenly matched opponent (not least in physical size).

I'd have to watch it again to give a more detailed account, I'm afraid. That's just what I remember from watching it live.

What an uppercut - half way through.
Reply 4579
Broner will be the best at 140 too

Latest