The Student Room Group

Cambridge university masterclasses (year 12)

Is the Engineering masterclass worth going to? I live quite a distance away so was wondering if it's worth the trip? If anybody has been could you share your experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello!

I'm going to the history one :smile: seems like it'll be an interesting experience!

Wonder if anyone around has been to one before?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by scrooj29
Is the Engineering masterclass worth going to? I live quite a distance away so was wondering if it's worth the trip? If anybody has been could you share your experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've signed up to the Engineering one! I'm in London, so I guess it's not that far..
Original post by Frankster
I've signed up to the Engineering one! I'm in London, so I guess it's not that far..

Do you need to do it through school or can you do it yourself? Reply asap if you could. :-)
Original post by Student96
Hello!

I'm going to the history one :smile: seems like it'll be an interesting experience!

Wonder if anyone around has been to one before?

Did you sign up through school/by yourself?
Reply 5
Original post by PardonMyFrench96
Did you sign up through school/by yourself?

By myself :smile: are you going to one?

Oh cool, yeah thinking of law. I thought I had to tell school, which might be a little awkward lol. So you just make an account on the thing and that's that? Thanks btw.
Reply 7
Oh cool, yeah thinking of law. I thought I had to tell school, which might be a little awkward lol. So you just make an account on the thing and that's that? Thanks btw.

Ah that's cool! Well I haven't told mine yet- it doesn't require you to do so, although I may mention it if it comes up nearer the time I.e. With my head of year or something :smile:

Yep, just make an account and fill out the forms and hey presto, got yourself a masterclass! Places are limited though, so make sure you get in there quick! :tongue:

Ah that's cool! Well I haven't told mine yet- it doesn't require you to do so, although I may mention it if it comes up nearer the time I.e. With my head of year or something :smile:

Yep, just make an account and fill out the forms and hey presto, got yourself a masterclass! Places are limited though, so make sure you get in there quick! :tongue:

You're doing history right? Are there any other of these kinda things you're doing. Unis just love throwing stuff at year 12s and it can get a bit overwhelming....
Reply 9
Do you need to do it through school or can you do it yourself? Reply asap if you could. :-)

Just go onto the Cambridge website and go to the Events --> masterclasses and you can do it yourself! :smile:
Reply 10
Hey, just wanted to say that I attended an English Masterclass last year and would massively reccomend the experience!

You're doing history right? Are there any other of these kinda things you're doing. Unis just love throwing stuff at year 12s and it can get a bit overwhelming....

Yes :smile: Not really, although I think I'll apply to the summer schools just on the off chance I get in. You? Yes I know what you mean I think, hopefully these masterclasses will be a good way to see what it's all about, and what it's really like :smile:
Original post by LeeGend
Hey, just wanted to say that I attended an English Masterclass last year and would massively reccomend the experience!

Hi! Thanks for that, great to know its a good idea!! Would you mind possibly telling me/us a bit about your day? What you did on arrival, the activities/lectures, lunch etc? :smile:
Reply 13
Hi! Thanks for that, great to know its a good idea!! Would you mind possibly telling me/us a bit about your day? What you did on arrival, the activities/lectures, lunch etc? :smile:

Sure, I'm not sure how much they vary but I can speak for the English one. It's worth noting here that they may not be based at the actual department - mine last year was at the Engineering Department. On arrival there were plenty of guide type people and we were shown into a small lecture theatre and I just started chatting with neighbours. The english taster lectures themselves consisted of a couple of speakers (I think) getting us to think about a whole range of extracts we were given. Topics like comparing symbolism and metaphor across some poetry. Lunch was amazing! Brown paper bag style, I had a very nice chicken baguette :wink: Back into a lecture after lunch. If I can remember we were also given a presentation about applying to Oxbridge and there was a Q&A session. That was the day, very informal but well worth the money!
Original post by LeeGend
Sure, I'm not sure how much they vary but I can speak for the English one. It's worth noting here that they may not be based at the actual department - mine last year was at the Engineering Department. On arrival there were plenty of guide type people and we were shown into a small lecture theatre and I just started chatting with neighbours. The english taster lectures themselves consisted of a couple of speakers (I think) getting us to think about a whole range of extracts we were given. Topics like comparing symbolism and metaphor across some poetry. Lunch was amazing! Brown paper bag style, I had a very nice chicken baguette :wink: Back into a lecture after lunch. If I can remember we were also given a presentation about applying to Oxbridge and there was a Q&A session. That was the day, very informal but well worth the money!

Ah thanks for this, sounds really great. Aha I shall be looking forward to lunch then!! :tongue: Hmm english in engineering, interesting haha :smile: Sounds like it'll be really good, glad you think it's worth the money, thanks again!
Yes :smile: Not really, although I think I'll apply to the summer schools just on the off chance I get in. You? Yes I know what you mean I think, hopefully these masterclasses will be a good way to see what it's all about, and what it's really like :smile:

Same, but my heads all over the place atm. I can't even decide between sciences/humanities! Good luck. :-)

So I've signed up to the law one, do I get a ticket or what? How does it work?
Original post by Frankster
Just go onto the Cambridge website and go to the Events --> masterclasses and you can do it yourself! :smile:

Thanks a bunch, So I've signed up to the law one, do I get a ticket or what? How does it work?
Original post by LeeGend

So I've signed up to the law one, do I get a ticket or what? How does it work?
Reply 19
Thanks a bunch, So I've signed up to the law one, do I get a ticket or what? How does it work?

Hi

You should get an email with an ID number. And closer to the date I think they'll email you more information. Just print that email out, and I think you're good to go! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending