The Student Room Group

How to stop stalking someone?!

anon just incase he's on here...

OK this is definitely going to make me seem like an oddball but oh well.

I've fancied this guy for the past few months and seem to be turning into a complete stalker. I don't literally follow him around or send him creepy notes, but I'm constantly checking his facebook for updates, looking through his photos (the other day I looked through almost 300 snaps he uploaded from his new years) It's even got ot the point where he posted his address for a party and I google mapped his house.

I know what I'm doing is incredibly creepy and wrong, but how do I stop? I don't want to unfriend him as it's harsh because he's on my course...

Scroll to see replies

I've been in the same boat myself and the only thing that worked for me was unfriending and blocking him. As you said you don't want to do that as he's on your course the only thing I can suggest is deactivating your Facebook for a while.
Reply 2
I wouldn't say it was creepy or wrong. It's not like he knows and you're not hurting anyone so do whatever makes you happy! :biggrin:
I wish girls were following me round and sending notes! Keep it up I'm sure he's complimented.
Reply 4
Everyone likes a good nosey, and Facebook's great for that.

But just check out a few photos, get the general jist of what he's up to and leave it from there.

Check less and less often, and less and less each time, and just ween yourself off or to at least a healthier level.
Wait ... that isn't normal?! :eek:
I would be a little wary of calling that kind of behaviour "stalking".

It's certainly a very unhealthy relationship that you have with this person though, so I would suggest removing yourself from his company as best you can - including deleting him from Facebook if you can't stop yourself from spending all of your time checking him out :P. I wouldn't call it stalking, but I think if he knew you were doing it he probably would.

It might seem a bit heavy-handed, but I imagine you'll be happier in the end since I doubt this doing your self-esteem any favours.
(edited 11 years ago)
I wouldn't say that's stalking, but it doesn't sound healthy. You could try setting yourself goals of how long you spend checking up on him every day, and lessen it every day, or two days, or however slow you want to go, until you don't feel the need to check up on him more than your other friends. :smile:
Reply 8
How is this even a question?

You just stop.
Reply 9
Is there any way you could move it into a more reciprocal relationship? Would that not mean you can indulge in it and not feel like a stalker? (I know it's far easier said than done, but it's an option)
Do you know the boy?

Maybe try and actually talk to him and engage with him rather than having to look at his profile everyday :smile:
Reply 11
Maybe, if not blocking him directly, block yourself from fb for a while (if you can do that!) Or as someone has suggested, deactivate your facebook for a while. Keep in touch but get to know him better in 'reality' so to speak, which will seem far less creepy.
Reply 12
I'll take a bet that this guy's super attractive. Girls only go psycho like this over the attractive guys.
Reply 13
Lol iv done the same thing. I dont call it ' stalking' ...its more like doing back ground research...to see what type of person he is. Ermm looking at 300 pics is okay. But iv never gone that far in checking where the person lives o.O. It would be freaky if you saved all his pictures on your desktop and made a collage for your phone screen O: haha you should do that!
Reply 14
How to stop? Simple. Deactivate your f.b or delete it.
Reply 15
If you don't want to block him you could put him on hide. If you don't see his updates in your newsfeed you might not be as tempted to look on his profile. I wouldn't worry about being a 'stalker' though, thanks to Facebook I'd bet that a lot of people have found themselves doing similar things.
I know it sucks, right?

story of my life, i stalk his twitter account! :eek:
Original post by luminosity
Lol iv done the same thing. I dont call it ' stalking' ...its more like doing back ground research...to see what type of person he is. Ermm looking at 300 pics is okay. But iv never gone that far in checking where the person lives o.O. It would be freaky if you saved all his pictures on your desktop and made a collage for your phone screen O: haha you should do that!

:rolleyes:
Original post by shybrowngirl
I know it sucks, right?

story of my life, i stalk his twitter account! :eek:

lol thats normal though because 99% of what person you follow tweets will come up on your timeline anyway
This troll is gettign boring now :rolleyes:

Quick Reply