The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Economics - F585 Global Economy - Case Study Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by eawilliams
same here, I really want a high A but I dont even know if I can scrape a B for this ):

Same here mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 121
Not Going to sleep until im at very least half confident about this exam :-/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 122
What do we actually need to know about ODA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
Original post by belle11
What do we actually need to know about ODA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ODA is aid. So just like aid stuff where medcs give money to ledcs etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Original post by king101
ODA is aid. So just like aid stuff where medcs give money to ledcs etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think they'll make us compare it to other forms of aid/international monetary flows?
Original post by belle11
Do you think they'll make us compare it to other forms of aid/international monetary flows?

I'm not going to promise anything, but our teacher gave us a mock exam and the 20 mark essay was asking about the effect of international trade and aid on developing countries. I reckon that the essay will be along these lines, perhaps including FDI, maybe asking the best way to develop with regards to certain financial flows or how effective aid/trade/FDI is at helping countries to develop. ??? :s-smilie:

I'm still not to sure on some things though!
Original post by I'm Batman...
I'm not going to promise anything, but our teacher gave us a mock exam and the 20 mark essay was asking about the effect of international trade and aid on developing countries. I reckon that the essay will be along these lines, perhaps including FDI, maybe asking the best way to develop with regards to certain financial flows or how effective aid/trade/FDI is at helping countries to develop. ??? :s-smilie:

we got a mock along the same lines too, but we also got one on fdi for the essay question, I just think an FDI essay would be too obvious and examiners are always out to trick us so maybe it could be aid vs trade? What I REALLY wouldnt want is an essay on whether Greece should leave the euro zone or austerity measures...I think I'd collapse ):
Reply 127
Also look at the last paragraph of extract 5 " there is little doubt that investment promotes the development proccess whether fdi does so better than otherways, however is still open to debate"

I think thats a hint? maybe?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 128
we got a mock along the same lines too, but we also got one on fdi for the essay question, I just think an FDI essay would be too obvious and examiners are always out to trick us so maybe it could be aid vs trade? What I REALLY wouldnt want is an essay on whether Greece should leave the euro zone or austerity measures...I think I'd collapse ):

My teacher said that there's going to be at least a ten marker on Greece leaving the euro/austerity measures

Could be a ten marker on Argentina and a strengthening US dollar/terms of trade? Examiners know no one likes terms of trade (well the majority of people) so could put this as a 6 or 10 marks...

I'm dreading this exam.
Original post by belle11
My teacher said that there's going to be at least a ten marker on Greece leaving the euro/austerity measures

Could be a ten marker on Argentina and a strengthening US dollar/terms of trade? Examiners know no one likes terms of trade (well the majority of people) so could put this as a 6 or 10 marks...

I'm dreading this exam.

I seriously am as well, this is the last and worst unit and apparently the grade boundries aren't generous either :/

I better revise and cram in as much as I can about the Euro and Argentina's 'fixed currency'...I hope the questions aren't too hard though ):
Reply 130
Original post by belle11

I'm dreading this exam.

same here
Where are you knowledge and content wise? I think after youve learnt everything from the textbook the stimulus material is x1000000 easier to understand
Reply 131
Original post by belle11

This paper is gonna be a killa! Urgh i really think last q will be FDI vrs somthing else. I highly doubt they will leave fdi out of the question
Reply 132
Original post by I'm Batman...

How can you say trade and fdi together? Fdi is the cause of trade between china and africa. So the only two financial flows in case study is aid and fdi

The int trade and aid is possible but i really hope not so hard to compare the two

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I hope it's FDI by its self as writing an essay openly comparing them is quite often difficult and time consuming. Fingers crossed for only FDI

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 134
For the possibility of an "AID VS TRADE" essay question, if we were looking at 2 points for and against, what would they be?

I'm struggling to think of them, always find myself like that before an exam!

Thanks
Original post by Legend12
For the possibility of an "AID VS TRADE" essay question, if we were looking at 2 points for and against, what would they be?

I'm struggling to think of them, always find myself like that before an exam!

Thanks

This is my favourite bit..the only bit I know well, lol.
Benefits of FDI of Aid
A financial inflow for low income countires
Can be used for increasing the provision of health care and education, improving human capital and the potential labour force.
Targetted aid can stimulate economic growth (as an impact, trade can improve)

Benefits of Trade
Stimulation of SR/Actual economic growth (as Net Exports is a component of AD)
Countries can secure independent economic development (E.g China, asian tigers as Aid can lead to economic dependency)
Increase in availability of goods and services for consumers (quantity and quality)
Businesses can exploit economies of scale...
Thats all I know, I basically memorized whats on Tutor2U..I did four for each instead of two and I'm trying to understand those in as much detail as possible...along with two graphs you could use!

Also remember the main disadvantage of Aid (economic dependency) and Trade (resource depletion and environmental degradation)

Do you think this would come up?
My teacher recommended discussing them together go down the usual route then say if one is better than the other at the end of each paragraph so say

Aid and FDI will both boost growth as they are used to fund projects "blah blah". FDI however may be more effective in this case however as it goes out into the real economy and does not have to bypass beaucrats or ruling elites.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 137
Original post by iggyDash
same here
Where are you knowledge and content wise? I think after youve learnt everything from the textbook the stimulus material is x1000000 easier to understand

It's hard to tell because I have no past papers to experiment on... I've used the textbook and APT and have spent the day going over definitions so that I can at least get level 1! I'm better at macro, but this paper just has me flustered! There are just so many possibilities of this going horrendously; you could know the content but a question might throw you off and then there are marks just floating down the drain...
Reply 138
Original post by king101
This paper is gonna be a killa! Urgh i really think last q will be FDI vrs somthing else. I highly doubt they will leave fdi out of the question

They focus so much on it (introduction and extract 5) that it has to be there somewhere, even if it is a 'explain FDI' type of thing...

I'm not sure if that's any better because I hate explain questions! I never know if I've written too much (therefore wasted time), or too little (and lost marks when I could have got higher)
Reply 139
This is my favourite bit..the only bit I know well, lol.
Benefits of FDI of Aid
A financial inflow for low income countires
Can be used for increasing the provision of health care and education, improving human capital and the potential labour force.
Targetted aid can stimulate economic growth (as an impact, trade can improve)

Benefits of Trade
Stimulation of SR/Actual economic growth (as Net Exports is a component of AD)
Countries can secure independent economic development (E.g China, asian tigers as Aid can lead to economic dependency)
Increase in availability of goods and services for consumers (quantity and quality)
Businesses can exploit economies of scale...
Thats all I know, I basically memorized whats on Tutor2U..I did four for each instead of two and I'm trying to understand those in as much detail as possible...along with two graphs you could use!

Also remember the main disadvantage of Aid (economic dependency) and Trade (resource depletion and environmental degradation)

Do you think this would come up?

Thanks a lot! Really cleared a lot of things up for me.

I have a feeling that it may come up, the other glaringly obvious one would be "discuss whether FDI is the best way for a country to develop". Aside from that, there are 2 more that may throw a spanner in the works.

"Discuss whether Greece should have been in the Monetary Union"
"Discuss whether defaulting would be the best solution for Greece".

I would hate it if any of them came up at all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending