The Student Room Group

Mini-Skirts to school??

Every morning as im walking to college i see high school girls (majority) wearing REALLY short skirts , some of them so short that their blazers are as long (if that makes sense). Many of them don't look >16 years and its quite worrying that their parents let them out of the house in such short skirts. I didn't go to high school here in uk and i'm just wondering if there aren't any particularly strict dress code rules at school? I've read a few articles about students getting kicked out for dyeing their hair a particular colour or wearing the wrong shoes but is this sort of thing ignored? Was the dress code strict in your high school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is worrying. Some schools are more strict than others. Our school rules were that skirts had to be knee length, but if anyone actually had their skirt that long they would get a hard time off everyone else for being a loser pretty much. A couple of girls would get warnings about it, but rarely any detention or calls home. I think it should be more strict, especially for girls under 16!
Reply 2
Sounds like jail bait if you ask me,
Got that at the high school next to my sixth form and I feel it's wrong but I think I may be in the male minority

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yep, many girls at my school (aged 11-16) wear those black tube skirts that only JUST cover their bum... The teachers don't even care. They banned sixth formers from wearing shorts (even over leggings/tights) in summer, sent people home for wearing black Vans, excluded people for having dyed hair... but still allow the lower school to wear these mini skirts :sigh:
Original post by Pink lipstick
Every morning as im walking to college i see high school girls (majority) wearing REALLY short skirts , some of them so short that their blazers are as long (if that makes sense). Many of them don't look >16 years and its quite worrying that their parents let them out of the house in such short skirts. I didn't go to high school here in uk and i'm just wondering if there aren't any particularly strict dress code rules at school? I've read a few articles about students getting kicked out for dyeing their hair a particular colour or wearing the wrong shoes but is this sort of thing ignored? Was the dress code strict in your high school?

We aren't allowed to wear skirts over a certain height at our school now...
Before you could literally see they're ass because the skirts were that short but now its changed (luckily for some but unlucky for perverts :perv:
Reply 5
Nothing wrong with that.:sexface:
Reply 6
I went to a catholic secondary school and all the girls wore really short skirts there too.
Reply 7
Original post by Pink lipstick

In fairness to the parents, if its anything like my school the girls leave home with a normal length skirt and them just roll it up when they're out of sight.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
This is an interesting discussion especially after the news story about a bright 14 y.o. schoolgirl being sent home after her skirt hem-line was deemed too short. I personally feel it's a matter of whether the girls look reasonably smart or not for school. I live in the south-east of London and on my journey using public transport to work, children of various schools, mostly state secondary travel at the same time as me. Most girls wear skirts and tights and only a handful actually wear trousers. However a few girls wear mid-thigh skirts and no tights (similar or maybe slightly shorter length than the girl in the photo above). I feel that when those girls are wearing sensible calf length socks and the look generally smart than the length of the skirt isn't really a problem. But - what I think is a little inappropriate is when girls take to wearing roll-top stockings above the knee and a short skirt. I found it slightly disconcerting the other day when both me a 12-13 year old school-girl almost bumped into one another as I was boarding and she was departing from the tram. We both politely said our 'sorrys' but I didn't think it quite right that this school-girl was wearing these roll-top stockings against her short skirt because it made her clothes look provocative so from that point I can see why school take issue with this. However, I think it mainly comes down to common sense and I can see why shorter skirts are favoured particularly in the summer when the weather is hot as it can be uncomfortable wearing tights or even trousers. On my journey home today I saw 2 school girls at a tram stop that both wore the same length short skirts but one wore below the knee socks and the other wore roll-top stockings. T.b.h. the one with the normal socks looked more smart and less provocative then the one showing a pair of bare thighs.
We used to have to get our skirts measured. They couldn't be any shorter than 1 inch above the knee, but eventually the school just released skirts with the school logo and they were the only ones you were allowed to wear.

Twas a very strict school for uniform. I guess it's a good thing :smile:
In the school I go to close to all the girls wear these tight fitting tube skirts.
Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing that so I don't.
What makes me think 'what?!' is when I see barely 11 year old who have just started Year 7 also wearing them.
I don't like this trend..
Their parents allow them because most don't leave the house like that. When I was younger all girls used to roll the waist band up to make it shorter as they got into school, now they just wear short skirts to start with. For the younger years they put a badge at the bottom of the skirt to stop them from being rolled up. Not quite sure how that was supposed to work though.
I went to an all girls' school, and all the year 7s had skirts below their knees, then people seemed to roll them up each year (standard issue skirt, but could be shortened artificially), until the year 11s may as well have come in tights.

Our school's response was to bring in skirts with a thick waistband that you couldn't roll up, so now the lower years have to go around with these ridiculous thick waisbands, and skirts around their shins. Justice is served :colone:
(edited 11 years ago)
I go to an all boys school, soooo...
Reply 14
When I used to go to school you would be excluded if you wore a skirt more than one inch above the knee. They were keep to keep it a respectful school.
i'm sure their parents don't let them leave like that... like most I assume they roll them up when they leave and roll them down on the way home...
This was the highlight of my school days.
Reply 17
I hope we can all agree such girls are airheads and DEF unintelligent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always wore short skirts when I was at school. I've got long legs & find it hard to get trousers that look right on me. My legs started growing around the time I started secondary school & I just ended up wearing skirts every day. I don't wear tights either because they irritate my skin. My school didn't really have a rule about skirt length and the majority of girls there either wore trousers or skirts with tights. They were pretty strict about hair dye, jewellery etc. I got into trouble a few times for dyeing my hair- I once nearly got excluded for having my hair dyed red. But they never made an issue about my skirt being too short
I hope we can all agree such girls are airheads and DEF unintelligent?

Don't see how you can stereotype like that- I saw your other thread on the same subject. I wear short skirts & know I'm not an airhead.

Latest