The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys dont think this should be spoilers so wont do so but tell me if it needs to be.

I think the main problem with me is being tired, depressed and lack of energy.

when I try and eat I often dont feel like it during day and when I finally get hands on food in evening I binge as I eat till I am food and when my energy dips I eat more despite struggling as I am full.

How can I change this apart from the generic try and eat 3 meals a day as I keep putting on too much weight despite cholesterol being great, blood sugar average etc.
Reply 5221
Original post by drbluebox
Hi guys dont think this should be spoilers so wont do so but tell me if it needs to be.

I think the main problem with me is being tired, depressed and lack of energy.

when I try and eat I often dont feel like it during day and when I finally get hands on food in evening I binge as I eat till I am food and when my energy dips I eat more despite struggling as I am full.

How can I change this apart from the generic try and eat 3 meals a day as I keep putting on too much weight despite cholesterol being great, blood sugar average etc.

Hey drbluebox :smile:

First of all, realistically you know you can't be putting on 'too much' weight if your health check came back spot on, so that's not the problem. That's a symptom of your emotional state.
Other than that, I guess you've answered your own question. You need the energy to go about your life, but you don't feel up to it in the day, so you overeat at night, which makes you feel even more tired and depressed.

Spoiler

This is quite a common form of disordered eating and it's what I frequently struggled with in some form before things got worse. The binging won't stop until you normalise regular and substantial meals, but you need to address the emotional side. How come you hardly ever feel like eating or notice you're hungry in the day?What makes you feel the need in the evening besides hunger?
You might have clinical depression, and even if not you're being quite hard on yourself by neglecting your basic right to be fed. Is there anyone you feel comfortable talking to about your habits and how you feel?

Take care of yourself mate, if you're ever struggling me or someone else here will always be around to talk :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5222
Original post by Anonymous
I'm pregnant and I hvae no idea what effect this ED is going to have on it. So scared.

Wishing all the best to you and your baby :hugs:
What Riku said. If anything, use this news as inspiration and motivation to get better. If not for your own sake, then for the babies. Bringing life into the world is an utterly wonderful thing, a true blessing. You deserve it and your baby deserves a fit, healthy and happy Mother. Life is a gift..I think we all forget that sometimes when we're seriously damaging our own.

If someone handed you a gift and you started throwing it about carelessly, on the edge of breaking it..well, that'd be just damn rude!
Original post by Riku
Hey drbluebox :smile:

First of all, realistically you know you can't be putting on 'too much' weight if your health check came back spot on, so that's not the problem. That's a symptom of your emotional state.
Other than that, I guess you've answered your own question. You need the energy to go about your life, but you don't feel up to it in the day, so you overeat at night, which makes you feel even more tired and depressed.

Spoiler

This is quite a common form of disordered eating and it's what I frequently struggled with in some form before things got worse. The binging won't stop until you normalise regular and substantial meals, but you need to address the emotional side. How come you hardly ever feel like eating or notice you're hungry in the day?What makes you feel the need in the evening besides hunger?
You might have clinical depression, and even if not you're being quite hard on yourself by neglecting your basic right to be fed. Is there anyone you feel comfortable talking to about your habits and how you feel?

Take care of yourself mate, if you're ever struggling me or someone else here will always be around to talk :hugs:

I dont know what was first, the bad eating or the stress, when I left home I was so poor I had about £5 a week to survive so I lived off bread, pasta, jam, spreads etc then by 21 lived off pasta, bread etc but had a takeaway about 3 times a week but replaced anything else I ate so 1 curry and no rice would be all I had.

Then after a family disaster I ate takeaways most nights and gained 3 stone though lost that when I went back to pasta then went to uni and was too busy to go shopping so bought cheap takeaways and it just built up still kept the idea of a takeaway as a meal replacement though.

I suppose though that after I gained the weight my self esteem went way down and I comfort ate.

In part its as I hate my own food, give me the best ingredients and meat and I will still dislike my own food, yet a friend or family member can use Tesco value and I will love it.

Now I eat when hungry but the side effect is as I am starving when I do so I need to eat a lot to fill up then by time its digested I realise I overate.

Meant to see a dietician but they cancelled on me.

I think I may see food as a treat rather than a basic need, whenever I go to college I feel like I want to eat in a cafe even if I struggle with a single bite.
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone else hate it when other people interfere in your life!? Why can't people just back off! :angry:
Anyone else hate it when other people interfere in your life!? Why can't people just back off! :angry:

Because people care, and want to do what they think is best for you, regardless of whatever it actually helps or not. Do you want to talk more about what's going on? x
Reply 5227

Yes so much . I know my friends care but they make everything worse by telling my teachers/family!! Are you ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 05autyt
Yes so much . I know my friends care but they make everything worse by telling my teachers/family!! Are you ok?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's seriously frustrating isn't it? I just wish people would just leave me be and let me get on. Well apart from wanting to smash something right now, I'm fine :tongue:.

Original post by Gnome :)
Because people care, and want to do what they think is best for you, regardless of whatever it actually helps or not. Do you want to talk more about what's going on? x

I get that they want to help. But I just don't want their help nor be a burden on them. Nothing is really going on tbh. I posted on here ages ago, and from there on in I decided to do something and for once in my life it actually worked and I'm happy with it.. but no people need to go and ruin it for me. I just want to be left alone and lose weight my own way.
Reply 5229
It's seriously frustrating isn't it? I just wish people would just leave me be and let me get on. Well apart from wanting to smash something right now, I'm fine :tongue:.

I get that they want to help. But I just don't want their help nor be a burden on them. Nothing is really going on tbh. I posted on here ages ago, and from there on in I decided to do something and for once in my life it actually worked and I'm happy with it.. but no people need to go and ruin it for me. I just want to be left alone and lose weight my own way.

Omg this is 100% how I feel :frown: I need them to let me carry on because it's the only way I can cope right now. They don't get that. When they told school they threatened me and now a teacher checks up on me every week and I just lie and lie. Then they told my nan and grandad who I live with stuff and now I can't even get pills without them freaking out. I have my own supplies but it's frustrating. And they comment on everything I eat or don't eat which actually makes me think everyone is watching me , so I find it harder to eat. My best friends who I love to bits and i know care gave me a choice this or them. They don't seem to get my head doesn't give me that option. They've made everything worse by trying to help. Lost my friends, made up with the bottom of the toilet .. Great. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 05autyt
Omg this is 100% how I feel :frown: I need them to let me carry on because it's the only way I can cope right now. They don't get that. When they told school they threatened me and now a teacher checks up on me every week and I just lie and lie. Then they told my nan and grandad who I live with stuff and now I can't even get pills without them freaking out. I have my own supplies but it's frustrating. And they comment on everything I eat or don't eat which actually makes me think everyone is watching me , so I find it harder to eat. My best friends who I love to bits and i know care gave me a choice this or them. They don't seem to get my head doesn't give me that option. They've made everything worse by trying to help. Lost my friends, made up with the bottom of the toilet .. Great. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know exactly how you feel. I'd rather not go into detail about it. Just people commenting on my method of losing weight and blah de blah.

I'm just so damn tired the now and cba with anything no more!
Reply 5231
I know exactly how you feel. I'd rather not go into detail about it. Just people commenting on my method of losing weight and blah de blah.

I'm just so damn tired the now and cba with anything no more!

Bless you :frown: yeah people can make things worse even though I get they want to help. That's the thing I hate most about this how much I'm hurting and effecting everything. I feel like I've become someone they put up with and have to fix rather than their friend. I hope you feel a bit better soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 05autyt
Bless you :frown: yeah people can make things worse even though I get they want to help. That's the thing I hate most about this how much I'm hurting and effecting everything. I feel like I've become someone they put up with and have to fix rather than their friend. I hope you feel a bit better soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any tips on how the hell to stay awake haha? Got a whole load of work to do and I'm just so knackered these days!
Reply 5233

Any tips on how the hell to stay awake haha? Got a whole load of work to do and I'm just so knackered these days!

I have no idea sorry :frown: I'm the opposite I cannot physically sleep at all at the minute! So I can associate with the tiredness but not the sleeping . Energy drinks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 05autyt
I have no idea sorry :frown: I'm the opposite I cannot physically sleep at all at the minute! So I can associate with the tiredness but not the sleeping . Energy drinks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww. I would love to sleep, but I just can't. Not got any and hardly drink them anymore :redface:.

Proplus ftw :smile:
Reply 5236

Does that actually work ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 05autyt
Does that actually work ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah! But don't over do it, especially if you're not used to caffiene as it can make you a bit shaky and anxious!
Reply 5238
Yeah! But don't over do it, especially if you're not used to caffiene as it can make you a bit shaky and anxious!

Ahh ok thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

That doesn't agree with me I'm afraid haha. I'm sure I have the packet somewhere, took them once.. never ever again!

Quick Reply

Latest