The Student Room Group

The implant? how to stop bleeding?

Hello, I got the implant fitted mid November and it is coming up to my 3 month check up.
For the first few weeks I was fine, I had no bleeding at all but since then I have been having an 11 day period with 5 days off and then back on again for 11 days. I have only been using one pad, but now I need to use more than one and keep getting cramps but not as bad as to before I got it fitted.

What is it they give you to stop/control the bleeding? It's really depressing me how I hate being on all the time!

What are your experiences with this? Was your bleeding bad, what did you do about it?
Thanks!
I'm going to describe my bad experience, but keep in mind that a lot of people do have good experiences with the implant.

I bled constantly for at least 4 months. I was given the combined pill to see if that stopped the bleeding. It worked and the aim was to use the pill for a little while and then stop taking it to see if it had settled the bleeding from the implant. When I came back off the pill, the bleeding started again. So after almost a year I had my implant taken out. I was advised to then use just the pill, as the implant clearly was not working for me. (And the injection was very similar to the implant so I didn't bother chancing it!)

At your check up you may be given the pill to calm it down, or maybe they will say to leave it a little longer. They do say that you should give it 3 months to see if it settles. They may advise you to just get it taken out. It really depends!

Hope you get it sorted out!
Original post by katehlouise
I'm going to describe my bad experience, but keep in mind that a lot of people do have good experiences with the implant.

I bled constantly for at least 4 months. I was given the combined pill to see if that stopped the bleeding. It worked and the aim was to use the pill for a little while and then stop taking it to see if it had settled the bleeding from the implant. When I came back off the pill, the bleeding started again. So after almost a year I had my implant taken out. I was advised to then use just the pill, as the implant clearly was not working for me. (And the injection was very similar to the implant so I didn't bother chancing it!)

At your check up you may be given the pill to calm it down, or maybe they will say to leave it a little longer. They do say that you should give it 3 months to see if it settles. They may advise you to just get it taken out. It really depends!

Hope you get it sorted out!

Pretty much this happened to me too. 3-4 months of constant heavy bleeding before it was taken out :frown:
They prescribed me Norethisterone though and that did something to help... may work differently on some than on others, I guess.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I got the implant fitted mid November and it is coming up to my 3 month check up.
For the first few weeks I was fine, I had no bleeding at all but since then I have been having an 11 day period with 5 days off and then back on again for 11 days. I have only been using one pad, but now I need to use more than one and keep getting cramps but not as bad as to before I got it fitted.

What is it they give you to stop/control the bleeding? It's really depressing me how I hate being on all the time!

What are your experiences with this? Was your bleeding bad, what did you do about it?
Thanks!

I had a similar experience. All you can do is grin and bear it, take lots of feminax etc. Mine settled down after about four months, I've only had about five periods in the last year it's great :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thanks! I went back to the clinic today and they gave me Cerazette so hopefully this helps calm the bleeding down, if not I will defiantly be getting the implant out!
You won't.
Reply 6
hello I got my implant back in 2017 when I was about 16 years old I have had it for a good few months now but I am constantly bleeding now and I have tried to let the doctors take it out about 5\6 times but I keep freaking out about what is the best thing for me to do about it because I am bleeding very heverly and getting a lot of pain in my lower stomach and my back
Reply 7
I was in the same position with constant bleeding for weeks or months at a time and ALWAYS bloated. Got my implant in 2016 and about a year and a half ago I went to the GP to have it removed, but instead she put me on the pill to control the periods. It worked for me, I can regulate them now plus I’m doubly protected from pregnancy! :smile: dreading having it removed when it expires next month haha
Original post by Meggy18
hello I got my implant back in 2017 when I was about 16 years old I have had it for a good few months now but I am constantly bleeding now and I have tried to let the doctors take it out about 5\6 times but I keep freaking out about what is the best thing for me to do about it because I am bleeding very heverly and getting a lot of pain in my lower stomach and my back

Quick Reply

Latest