The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Anyone been accepted for English Lit/English Language at Glasgow uni?

I sent my application off mid December and didn't expect to hear back till after Xmas anyway and since everyone's sending their applications off now I know it may take longer! I'm really hoping Glasgow uni will accept me! I have 4 A2s at AABB and my course, English Literature/English Language asks for ABB so fingers crossed! Anyone else doing this subject? And anyone else been accepted yet?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eliza.anne
I sent my application off mid December and didn't expect to hear back till after Xmas anyway and since everyone's sending their applications off now I know it may take longer! I'm really hoping Glasgow uni will accept me! I have 4 A2s at AABB and my course, English Literature/English Language asks for ABB so fingers crossed! Anyone else doing this subject? And anyone else been accepted yet?

I received an unconditional offer on Tuesday (I applied mid December too) so I imagine you'll hear from them very soon if you haven't already! Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Congrats! And thank you :smile: I sure hope so! What grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?
I am from Glasgow so I did Highers last year and got AAAB in them which I think is 305 ucas points if that's of any help :smile: I heard that Glasgow aren't looking at personal statements this year, just at grades, which might speed the process of applying up. It was the first uni I heard back from so I think they're moving quite quickly!

Reply 4
Oh right awesome and yeah that's helpful :-) I worry the only thing stopping me getting in is because they might put Scottish applicants first. And I hope they are looking at personal statements, I spent too much time on mine! Haha. I've only heard back from Brunel so far and have an unconditional there, hopefully hear from Glasgow in the coming week!
I don't think they will prioritise Scottish students - or at least I hope not! If I stay in Glasgow I want to make new friends rather than people I already know haha. Ah well done on your unconditional, I hope you get good news from Glasgow soon :smile: What is your first choice?

Reply 6
Haha yeah same, I mean I'm a weird one - right now I'm living between London and Scotland as my fiancée lives not far from Glasgow haha. So Glasgow is my first choice, it would be ideal really :smile: And thank you :-) Is Glasgow your first choice too? And would you be studying English lit?
I applied to English language, however I'm more inclined to study Religious studies at Aberdeen (if I get it).

Haha, sorry, I didn't realise the thread was for offer holders. :s-smilie: I haven't recieved mine yet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
It isn't for offer holders, I don't have an offer from Glasgow uni yet :frown: and that's awesome, I hope you hear back from them soon! Does Glasgow not do a religious course? Are you religious yourself or just interested in it? :smile:
It isn't for offer holders, I don't have an offer from Glasgow uni yet :frown: and that's awesome, I hope you hear back from them soon! Does Glasgow not do a religious course? Are you religious yourself or just interested in it? :smile:

They have something along the line of "religious education" and theology which isn't exactly what I want to study. I'm non-religious myself and just very interested. :smile: My interest in religion triumphs my interest in the English language with just a tiny bit.
Because I've grown up in Glasgow I would really like to move away but I have to say the course looks great and I love the university itself so I'm going to wait till I have all my replies then decide! Yeah English lit, are you the same?

With Scottish unis you take two extra courses for the first two years which makes me want to stay in Scotland (but is pretty much the only reason) and I think I might make one religious studies, like you (illuminatedrain) I'm not religious but interested, although lit is my 'first love' haha. I liked the look of the course at the open day. Good luck with getting an offer!

Reply 11
Ah I understand :smile: yeah I get that completely, my course will be combined English literture and English language as I'm interested in both. I've applied for some unis which only do English literature which isn't exactly what I want. Are you from Scotland yourself?
Reply 12
Original post by thursdayschild
Because I've grown up in Glasgow I would really like to move away but I have to say the course looks great and I love the university itself so I'm going to wait till I have all my replies then decide! Yeah English lit, are you the same?

With Scottish unis you take two extra courses for the first two years which makes me want to stay in Scotland (but is pretty much the only reason) and I think I might make one religious studies, like you (illuminatedrain) I'm not religious but interested, although lit is my 'first love' haha. I liked the look of the course at the open day. Good luck with getting an offer!

My course is combined English lit and language :smile: and yeah I understand that, but when fees are free for you I'd advise staying in Scotland! I'm not prepared to pay 9k a year lol. And the whole two extra courses sounds really interesting too. I think I'll definitely go to Glasgow if they accept me!
Reply 13
I applied for English Literature and joint honours Law and English Lit.. don't expect to hear back from Law for a good wee while but I'm hoping to get at least my MA English reply. Applied on the 19th of December and I have AAAAA at Higher, hopefully they are actually ignoring the statement:L
Reply 14
With those grades I'll be shocked if you don't get in! :smile: and haha my personal statement saves me! I have a levels of AABB and they ask for ABB so hoping for the best!! And I applied 17th Dec I think, I'm checkin my emails 24/7 lol. I hate waiting!
Reply 15
With those grades I'll be shocked if you don't get in! :smile: and haha my personal statement saves me! I have a levels of AABB and they ask for ABB so hoping for the best!! And I applied 17th Dec I think, I'm checkin my emails 24/7 lol. I hate waiting!

Good luck! I applied last year without my highers and I got my conditional around mid-Febuary so you might be the same :smile:
Reply 16
I got my unconditional!! :biggrin:
I got my unconditional!! :biggrin:

Congrats!!

Reply 18
Original post by thursdayschild
Congrats!!

Thank you! Got an email from track but not Glasgow uni and got all nervous! So happy hehe. :biggrin:
Got a conditional offer for English Language, really suprised but pleased! I might just put it as my firm, actually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending