The Student Room Group

Scly2 21st may 2013

Thought I would start a tread for those who are doing the SCLY2 (Sociology unit 2) exam in summer 2013 :3 Early, I know :P I'm doing Education + Research Methods! Anyone else? :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone have any predictions yet? xD
Original post by Wizkidani
Does anyone have any predictions yet? xD

me too :smile: do you have the scly2 jan 2013 paper? i will make predicitons once i see this lol. have u made any yet? how u getting on? x
Reply 3
Thought I would start a tread for those who are doing the SCLY2 (Sociology unit 2) exam in summer 2013 :3 Early, I know :P I'm doing Education + Research Methods! Anyone else? :colondollar:

Hi, I'm doing it too. Lord knows where my revisions getting me... Its here soon
Reply 4
Original post by chrissie19913
me too :smile: do you have the scly2 jan 2013 paper? i will make predicitons once i see this lol. have u made any yet? how u getting on? x

No haven't found it yet :/ And I'm doing terribly xD not started revision for it yet! I've not made predictions yet but I will soon :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by SyedaK
Hi, I'm doing it too. Lord knows where my revisions getting me... Its here soon

I know :/
Time's going so fast D:
I'm doing this exam aswell so scared for it.

Apparently these were the qs in Jan 2013

JAN 2013 UNIT 2 QS
Education:
2 marker on labelling
6 marker on how education can be seen as ethnocentric (can't remember the exact question)
12 on why girls are achieving better.
20 marker on Functionalism

Methods in Context: Self-completed Questionnaires OR Unstructured interviews
Methods
2 marker on definition of interview schedule
4 marker on two reason (I think) on pilot study
4 marker on 2 problems of using Official statistics
20marker on how theoretical issues are the main reason for the researchers choice of methods.
Reply 7
Original post by Shadow_Amber
I'm doing this exam aswell so scared for it.

Apparently these were the qs in Jan 2013

JAN 2013 UNIT 2 QS
Education:
2 marker on labelling
6 marker on how education can be seen as ethnocentric (can't remember the exact question)
12 on why girls are achieving better.
20 marker on Functionalism

Methods in Context: Self-completed Questionnaires OR Unstructured interviews
Methods
2 marker on definition of interview schedule
4 marker on two reason (I think) on pilot study
4 marker on 2 problems of using Official statistics
20marker on how theoretical issues are the main reason for the researchers choice of methods.

Thank you! So these questions probably won't come up again?
Reply 8
i haven't started revising the research method part.... has anyone got some revision notes on research methods that I useful .. :biggrin: I would really appreciate it . thank you
Reply 9
Btw how much should we write for the 20 markers? how many points.. what do you get marked for?
so confused about research methods.

can anyone tell me if this is right, i sent this to my teacher on the first day of half term but the lazy cow hasn't replied even tho she said we could email her for help:

To set out my revision what Im starting to do and hope to finish is learn

Information on positivist and interpretivist (Including approach to research, key ideas of approach, evaluation of approach and what methods they use).

Information on PRACTICAL ISSUES, ETHICAL ISSUES , THEORETICAL ISSUES AND CHOICE OF TOPIC

Then for each sociological methods I would learn: PETS or PERVERTS (whether they are strengths or weaknesses) and the general advantages and disadvantages ( or is this not needed?), studies that have already use this

For each characteristics of education (Pupils, Teachers, Parents, Classrooms, schools), I would learn: PETS and PERVERTS

For each educational research issue ( e.g, ethnicity, gender, subcultures, educational policies, subject choices, teacher expectations ) I would learn: PETS and/or PERVERTS when using a particular research method.

Keywords

is this all we have to learn for sociological methods ? if ayone could answer xox.
:colondollar:

the napier press book by westergaard and webb has confused me sooo soo much, its april and well im getting scaredd
Reply 11
Original post by gloriousgloria
so confused about research methods.

can anyone tell me if this is right, i sent this to my teacher on the first day of half term but the lazy cow hasn't replied even tho she said we could email her for help:

To set out my revision what Im starting to do and hope to finish is learn

Information on positivist and interpretivist (Including approach to research, key ideas of approach, evaluation of approach and what methods they use).

Information on PRACTICAL ISSUES, ETHICAL ISSUES , THEORETICAL ISSUES AND CHOICE OF TOPIC

Then for each sociological methods I would learn: PETS or PERVERTS (whether they are strengths or weaknesses) and the general advantages and disadvantages ( or is this not needed?), studies that have already use this

For each characteristics of education (Pupils, Teachers, Parents, Classrooms, schools), I would learn: PETS and PERVERTS

For each educational research issue ( e.g, ethnicity, gender, subcultures, educational policies, subject choices, teacher expectations ) I would learn: PETS and/or PERVERTS when using a particular research method.

Keywords

is this all we have to learn for sociological methods ? if ayone could answer xox.
:colondollar:

the napier press book by westergaard and webb has confused me sooo soo much, its april and well im getting scaredd

I use the napier text book ;p That sounds about right xD
Original post by scienceboy16
What does 'PETS' stand for??
I know PERVERT stands for practical ethical reliability validity example representativeness and theoretical, is this right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

aha yer thats right :biggrin:, PET or PET(S) is just a shortened and more brief version of perverts > standing for practical, ethical and theoretical, with reliability, validity, representativeness falling under theoretical
Original post by gloriousgloria
aha yer thats right :biggrin:, PET or PET(S) is just a shortened and more brief version of perverts > standing for practical, ethical and theoretical, with reliability, validity, representativeness falling under theoretical

Oh right ! Haha thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I have this exam aswell. We use the pervert approach for each research method and a study.
Here are the questions for the Unit 1 january exam 2013.

JAN 2013 UNIT 1 QS

6) Nuclear family definition (2 MARKS)
7) Infant Mortality Rate decline (4 MARKS)
8) Adults control over children (6 MARKS)
9) Marxism and the family (24 MARKS)
10) Greater family diversity (24 MARKS)
(edited 11 years ago)
I use the napier text book ;p That sounds about right xD

Thanks for that :smile:
anyone have the Jan2013 paper?
Anyone made predictions? Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Does anyone have a full list of the perspectives we can be specifically asked on for a 20 mark or even a 12 mark question? We only covered Functionalism and Marxism (Briefly touched New Right and Postmodernism) but some people are saying they can ask you on Feminism, Interactionalism and so on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending