The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Foundation Course 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apatheist
Yeah, I'm sure I did. I got worried tha perhaps they'd mistaken me for an overseas applicant. So was checking if any other home applicants got the same form.

I'm sure it can't hurt to fill in the form. It would make sense that they confirm the fee status in some if not all cases. If in doubt, I'd contact/ring them if you're worried - they seem to be really open about answering students questions. Are still 'under consideration' or have you been given a place (if you don't mind me asking)?

Hello. I'm applying for physics with foundation year, because the foundation year is on queens campus, and the remainder of the Bsc Physics is in durham city, when I'm applying for colleges do I apply for the ones on queens campus or in durham city?

I'd definitely contact the foundation centre about this, as far as I know the college allocation is final. Logical would state that as you're at the Durham campus for most of the course, it would be easier in the long run to apply there. However, in that case, as you are commuting to/from Queen's campus, I'd check with them how that would work.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hello. I'm applying for physics with foundation year, because the foundation year is on queens campus, and the remainder of the Bsc Physics is in durham city, when I'm applying for colleges do I apply for the ones on queens campus or in durham city?

Original post by criticalnature
I'm sure it can't hurt to fill in the form. It would make sense that they confirm the fee status in some if not all cases. If in doubt, I'd contact/ring them if you're worried - they seem to be really open about answering students questions. Are still 'under consideration' or have you been given a place (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'd definitely contact the foundation centre about this, as far as I know the college allocation is final. Logical would state that as you're at the Durham campus for most of the course, it would be easier in the long run to apply there. However, in that case, as you are commuting to/from Queen's campus, I'd check with them how that would work.

I thought the Foundation Year was at Durham City? Or are some courses different? Well I was told via e-mail that it's at Durham City.

I'd imagine the College allocation would be at Durham City. You generally get free transport on the X1 bus to the other campus.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82
It all depends if your progression route is based at Durham city or Queens campus I think. But I think there is a foundation centre based at both sites :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by add4
It all depends if your progression route is based at Durham city or Queens campus I think. But I think there is a foundation centre based at both sites :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, which is why I was confused since it's Physics that they're doing, and it states for the Physics course both Foundation and degree that the location is at Durham City. So why are they going to Queens?
Congrats to all those that have heard back and got places :smile:

Curiously, it seems like the main Durham campus has replied but I'm yet to hear anyone mention Health & Human Science/Anthropology with foundation on Queen's campus.

Anyone (like me) applied there?

There also seems to be students (on the forum) that submitted in November-ish to BSc Anthropology that haven't heard anything yet... Is this general with that department maybe? It's making me feel better anyway.

I've never been sure how 'popular' anthropology is as whenever I mention it to people, they either reply with "Wow that's fascinating," or more commonly, "What's that?".

Thanks! I heard back (and firmed) Social Sciences Combined with Foundation - I believe I'm at the Durham City Campus though. I haven't heard anything back in terms of College allocation yet. I did not chose a specific College though, so I'm waiting for an automatic allocation by Durham themselves.
If you're doing Physics with Foundation year, you want to be in Durham City. Most of the Foundation courses are held at Durham, actually, only a few at Queens Campus. Queens Campus is a fair distance from Durham City campus so it's not a good idea to choose the wrong college lol.
Its official - I got my offer (and accepted it) today. Roll on September :smile:
Reply 87
Congratulations on your offer. Told you that you would hear something soon. Very well done. Guess we will be able to have a drink and a chat at Stevo's bar now haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by add4
Congratulations on your offer. Told you that you would hear something soon. Very well done. Guess we will be able to have a drink and a chat at Stevo's bar now haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you and yes! Made one potential friend already :wink:
Although I've not been allocated a college yet (hoping for Stevo), but with it being such a small campus I'm sure everyone mixes.
Weirdly, looking forward to the 'welcome pack'. I may use this summer to get a head start on reading lists etc.
Reply 89
Cool looks like I've made a potential friend too :smile: I would think you will get Stevo as I did plus I'm pretty sure most if not all firms get first choice. I wasn't sure but I just got a better vibe for Stevo rather than John Snow :smile: Yes because it is smaller than most campus is one of the reasons I chose it plus I don't live too far away from the uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by add4
Cool looks like I've made a potential friend too :smile: I would think you will get Stevo as I did plus I'm pretty sure most if not all firms get first choice. I wasn't sure but I just got a better vibe for Stevo rather than John Snow :smile: Yes because it is smaller than most campus is one of the reasons I chose it plus I don't live too far away from the uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love the thought of being so close to all the lectures etc - especially when its cold. Plus it does help when studying to be practically next to the library. Also Stevo just seemed more open somehow, and known for being very mixed - great for my course. The campus is small but the local area is great. I loved Middlesborough.
Reply 91
Yeah it's all good Stevo is great for all of the reasons you have just mentioned plus for me it seemed slightly more relaxed etc over John Snow but still I'm sure they are both great :smile: Yes the local area is cool too Middlesbrough, Teeside Park, Stockton all cool. Plus Newcastle, Durham etc are only about 40 mins away by bus :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
Are you going to one of the post application open days in March. You will probs get an invite in your college email. I'm going to one of them I think just so I can get a feel for the place for a full day plus I can see some of the facilities, college and find out more about my progression route :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by add4
Yeah it's all good Stevo is great for all of the reasons you have just mentioned plus for me it seemed slightly more relaxed etc over John Snow but still I'm sure they are both great :smile: Yes the local area is cool too Middlesbrough, Teeside Park, Stockton all cool. Plus Newcastle, Durham etc are only about 40 mins away by bus :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally. You basically get the best of everything :smile:
Reply 94

Hi,I spoke to a current foundation student who like yourself will be moving to Durham city after the foundation year. what happens is you apply to a college at Stockton for your foundation year and then you get moved to a different college at Durham for the following three years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank you and yes! Made one potential friend already :wink:
Although I've not been allocated a college yet (hoping for Stevo), but with it being such a small campus I'm sure everyone mixes.
Weirdly, looking forward to the 'welcome pack'. I may use this summer to get a head start on reading lists etc.

I also haven't received the College allocation yet, or heard anything back about the Colleges. Received an offer, though. I accepted it a few weeks ago. :smile:
Original post by Himynameskiefer
I also haven't received the College allocation yet, or heard anything back about the Colleges. Received an offer, though. I accepted it a few weeks ago. :smile:

From what I've heard a) allocation is being staggered and b) the system has changed slightly this year.
Reply 97
Hi everyone,

I have applied for the foundation Medicine course, I still have not heard anything. Mega nervous- no news is good news but I am starting to frett now beacuse I've read somebody has already been invited for interview. :-/

Anyone in the same boat?
Module/timetable question - Am I right in thinking that you only take 4 of the 12 modules each term for the foundation year?

I was looking through the modules and read that for most you have 3 hours a week 'contact hours' for a total of around 30 hours and then another 70 hours in independent study. I'm trying to visualise the workload and instead I am confusing myself...
Reply 99
Hi, I know that to pass the year you need to pass 50 percent in every unit. I was just wondering how difficult is it to do this. Is it a challenge or fairly manageable would you say just purely based on peoples experience of the year. I'm just trying to visualise the task ahead of me. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest