The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Authority_Song
How so?

If you're think the Superbowl games, they're categorically different.

There's a difference between standing in the blitz and throwing well (which brady does exceptionally), and spending four quarters on your back. The Giants pass rush was so dominant Brady went down 5 times in SB42 and another 2 times in SB46, as well as damn near being sacked twice on a deep heave which ended up intercepted, as well as taking a huge hit as soon as let the ball go.

He still had elite drives in those games that were against great pass rush, but ultimately he can only do so much when the offensive line bottles it and the pass rush is literally on top of him.

Perhaps I am being harsh on him and I will always give credit to the defence before anything else but in the world of American sport you're judged by one thing; whether or not you won. At times it's a little unfair, like with Marino who probably isn't rated as highly as he should be purely because he never won the Super Bowl. The QB is seen as the leader, so the buck nearly always stops there. The aura around Brady you kind of expect him to get the job done regardless, so it has been a shock at times that he hasn't. In that regard, he's a victim of his own success. Perhaps I expect too much of him and, as I say, I'm being too harsh.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Perhaps I am being harsh on him and I will always give credit to the defence before anything else but in the world of American sport you're judged by one thing; whether or not you won. At times it's a little unfair, like with Marino who probably isn't rated as highly as he should be purely because he never won the Super Bowl. The QB is seen as the leader, so the buck nearly always stops there. The aura around Brady you kind of expect him to get the job done regardless, so it has been a shock at times that he hasn't. In that regard, he's a victim of his own success. Perhaps I expect too much of him and, as I say, I'm being too harsh.

I would agree hes not the Brady we see in regular season but hes hardly terrible either. Fact of the matter is we were in positions to win both Superbowls only for the defense to screw it up real bad.

If the Patriots want to win another bowl we need to become more rough, gone are the days of our defensive backs like Harrison, Law, Samuel laying down the hit to other teams. We have become more finesse, we need some grit in this team. Right now the only players i think like this are Spikes and Chung who makes too many boneheaded plays...
Original post by Malevolent
If it happened we would get lots picks whcih we could use to bolster other positions or trade for other players. Defense wins championships, thats what we were damn good at in 2001-2004

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i

I 1000% agree. Defense is REALLY what made the difference and allowed the Pats their mini dynasty.

The defense has been very lacking the past few years, including 2007, although it has made some improvements since then
Original post by dgeorge
I 1000% agree. Defense is REALLY what made the difference and allowed the Pats their mini dynasty.

The defense has been very lacking the past few years, including 2007, although it has made some improvements since then

Teams were scared we were a team who could hit damn hard and were rugged. Now its so finesse that its a complete opposite of what made the Patriots so successful.

We need Talib back we had the Ravens in our pocket then Talib goes and bam back to looking like the worst pass defense. Also another strong safety to pair with McCourty and hopefully once Fletcher is back we have a linebacker who can cover tight ends and the middle of the field.
The problem for everyone, especially the older guys in any team, is that recent rule changes have made defending so much harder.
The problem for everyone, especially the older guys in any team, is that recent rule changes have made defending so much harder.

Haha yeah i shouldn't ignore the fact its much harder for defensive players with all that PI and such but still Bill Belichick made his mark as a defensive guru and over the last few years its not really shown.
:rofl:[video="youtube;rfKMCAlNP8s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfKMCAlNP8s[/video]
Anybody else on here going to the Super Bash in London?

Always a fantastic night out, and for the first time, this year's event takes place at KOKO in Camden.

Roll On Sunday! :smile:
Original post by DomBres

Always a fantastic night out, and for the first time, this year's event takes place at KOKO in Camden.

Tried to get tickets, failed miserably. Plus my mates were being girly and not making up their mind.
Brady is NOT the best against the blitz. Also the blitz and general pass rush are two different things. ****ing hell.... if you think he is then I guess you can stop reading now because I'm about to make another childish jab.

Roethlisberger - if you don't understand how he is better against pressure than Brady I don't know what to say to you.

Luck - a less experienced, smaller, more talented Roethlisberger complete with the same retard face.

Eli Manning - superior arm strength allows him to throw very well off the back foot compared to Brady.

Peyton Manning - kind of questionable call, but I'm saying he's better than Brady because his ability to recognize a blitz pre-snap and check into a play to exploit it. Nobody else in the league could have done this: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d814aec96/WK-12-Anatomy-Peyton-Pre-Snap-Recognition

Russel Wilson - if the NFL invented a new rule every time Wilson got hit like they do for Brady then would have to invent like..... no new rules.

RGIII - if his knee gets better

Kaepernick - black with prison tats (that are actually about God but w/e)

Those QBs are better than Brady against a strong rush and I haven't even got onto other top QBs I haven't seen as much of like Romo, Brees and Rogers or the more maligned but stronger armed ones who can throw bombs off the back foot like Flacco, Cutler and Stafford.

I'm not even saying Brady is a bad QB. Obviously he is very good. When he has time to pick apart a defense there is probably nobody better (maybe Peyton Manning), but against pressure he is immobile and loses quite a bit of his accuracy. Have you ever heard of tight ends being referred to as safety blankets for quarterbacks? Like Witten being Romo's BFF? Brady has 2 of the best safety blankets in the league plus another inside receiver in Welker, plus a decent line plus a running game plus the best hurry-up in the game (one thing he deserves significant credit for). In spite of all those things he is still not close to top 5 against pressure.

To whoever responded to my post about the other QBs available. You forgot how good Smith is? Then you must be the same guy who thinks Brady handles pressure than Roethlisberger. If you're the one who got dinged by the SWW linebacker then fair enough, but get that concussion checked out and make sure you keep your head on a swivel next time. Don't practice again until the symptoms are completely gone, you're not getting paid and it's just not worth it. It's only pre-season anyway and there are other ways you can get better like hitting the gym and not supporting the Patriots.

Sanchez hasn't had a good season, and anyone who takes a chance on him will definitely be either brave or desperate, but he wasn't the problem at the Jets either. Get Brady throwing to Stephen Hill, Chaz Schilens and Hayden Smith from behind a line that gives an end one or two free hits a game. Any time he gets any kind of rhythm or rapport with one of his incompetent receivers stamp that **** out by bringing Tebow out for a 2 yard rush. Put Brady in that situation and your boner for him will disappear faster than a fresh burrito at the Ryan family reunion. Both of those players in free agency (especially Smith) would represent far better value than Brady for 5 high picks and if you can't see why, again, I don't know what to say to you. It's completely bizarre to me that I've had to write this much explaining why.
Reply 5190
Original post by DomBres

Original post by Tokyoround
Tried to get tickets, failed miserably. Plus my mates were being girly and not making up their mind.

Same, I tried to get tickets but didn't get any, so unfortunately I'm going to end up watching it on Sky Sports at home I guess. I wouldn't have minded going out to some sort of sports bar somewhere in London to watch it but my mate decided to be a douche, and since he's the only other person I know who likes American football, it's not going to happen.
I nearly died at
Original post by The Troll Toll

Luck - a less experienced, smaller, more talented Roethlisberger complete with the same retard face.

and
Original post by The Troll Toll
disappear faster than a fresh burrito at the Ryan family reunion.

PRSOM

Anyway, the last like 5 pages have been about the Pats... they aren't even playing any more football this season.

I'm looking forward to the superbowl, i'm not expecting a shootout. imo Niners have the superior offence in Gore, Davis, Crabtree etc. so definitely expecting them to take it unless Baltimores' defense can keep the game close. I don't have much faith in Flacco.
Yes, hello folks.
I've always planned on watching the superbowl and have always managed to get through the first forty minutes however i have needed to be up at 6am for College, however this year i don't need to be in until 11am, thus i have decided to watch it.
I'm rooting for niners, because a few of my friends are from the SF area.
Is there a relatively simple guide i can follow for the super bowl? I understand the basic elements of it, but i really want to completely understand it for the superbowl this year.
everybody ready for the big game? everybody in America goes crazy for the Superbowl.
Reply 5194
I hate this time of year when people who think NFL is **** during the regular season pop up and start saying how amazing the superbowl is ....

Victim of his own success is probably true. However, let's not feel too sorry for the guy; fame, fortune and wife considered.
Original post by Tokyoround
I nearly died at

and

PRSOM

Anyway, the last like 5 pages have been about the Pats... they aren't even playing any more football this season.

I'm looking forward to the superbowl, i'm not expecting a shootout. imo Niners have the superior offence in Gore, Davis, Crabtree etc. so definitely expecting them to take it unless Baltimores' defense can keep the game close. I don't have much faith in Flacco.

Good point! Lets discuss our worthy superbowl competitors!

San Fran for the win. More complete team, and I have a problem with Suggs getting a ring, as well as this Ray Lewis story (murderer).
Quite a neat little chart by the Guardian if you want to see your teams cap situation. Props to them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interactive/2013/jan/30/nfl-salaries-team-position
Original post by Authority_Song
Good point! Lets discuss our worthy superbowl competitors!

San Fran for the win. More complete team, and I have a problem with Suggs getting a ring, as well as this Ray Lewis story (murderer).

During the regular season that's what I thought. But the Raven's postseason play disagrees with you
Hate Sherman but this is hilarious. :laugh:

[video]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1512316-richard-sherman-finds-out-whos-the-best-shut-down-cornerback-on-bourbon-street[/video]

Rob Gronkowski partying already shirtless and boozing. let the summer of Gronk begin...
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest