The Student Room Group

A-level choices for UCL 2015 entry

I am hoping to apply for the medical course at UCL. I am making my A-level choices this year.
I am certain I will study Biology, Chemistry and History at A-level but I am unsure which is a better choice for my 4th AS. Should I take Maths or a foreign language (most likely French). Will one be more helpful or viewed more highly?
Thank-you!
:smile:
Original post by It's Me, Manatee
I am hoping to apply for the medical course at UCL. I am making my A-level choices this year.
I am certain I will study Biology, Chemistry and History at A-level but I am unsure which is a better choice for my 4th AS. Should I take Maths or a foreign language (most likely French). Will one be more helpful or viewed more highly?
Thank-you!
:smile:

Maths tends to be the traditional AS to take alongside chem and bio for medical students, some universities (Cambridge) state that having 3 Sciences/Maths is pretty much vital of their course, maths does open up a lot of doors for med school choices. (I've applied and took maths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank-you! That's really helpful :smile: I wish you all the best with your application, where have you applied to?
Thank-you! That's really helpful :smile: I wish you all the best with your application, where have you applied to?

Oxford, Newcastle, Liverpool and Barts
Interviewed at Oxford, Rejected from Barts and heard nothing from the other 2. in hindsight I should have applied to UCL but I didn't want to risk 2 BMAT unis in case I flunked it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awww yes! They are really difficult. I wish all the best anyway. To even get an interview at Oxford is amazing! You must be incredibly bright :smile: Best of luck with your application.
Awww yes! They are really difficult. I wish all the best anyway. To even get an interview at Oxford is amazing! You must be incredibly bright :smile: Best of luck with your application.

Just smash your BMAT/UKCAT and you'll be fine!!! I find out on Friday from Oxford. Have you started building your statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callummj6747
Just smash your BMAT/UKCAT and you'll be fine!!! I find out on Friday from Oxford. Have you started building your statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I haven't, although I know I really should... Do you have any pointers? Also, how did your Oxford application go?
No I haven't, although I know I really should... Do you have any pointers? Also, how did your Oxford application go?

Rejected but hey ho, at least I tried. Um practise early and brush up on your GCSE science for the BMAT! Choose your university choices wisely, that is the best bit of advice I can give!
Take maths . It will increase your chance of getting into ucl . IMO . I will be applying next year to A100 course with A*AA (GCE ) and 6A GCSEs . Though my first choice would be imperial college London . Good luck and study well . Btw my subjects are Maths , Bio and chem . Econ at As level

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to do Medicine and am taking Chem, Bio, Physics and English. I dunno if or if not I'll be doing Maths, but Oxbridge's requirement for Medicine is Chem (compulsory) and at least one of Bio, Physics and Maths. You're already taking at least one of those, but Maths I think may help.
Original post by callummj6747
Rejected but hey ho, at least I tried. Um practise early and brush up on your GCSE science for the BMAT! Choose your university choices wisely, that is the best bit of advice I can give!
Hey, that's sad. Tough luck. You thinking to try again?
Original post by originaltitle
Hey, that's sad. Tough luck. You thinking to try again?

For Oxford, not a chance, I realised 2 days before my rejection that I would hate every second of it, I think it might be the best thing that has happened, getting rejected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for all the help guys and best of luck with any applications :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending