University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by ginariasa
hi, i'm thinking of going beaumont catered en-suite, but you have to take all your stuff out over Christmas i heard.

how do people deal with that?

i think it'd be a bit much for me seeing as i live in Hartlepool which is in between Middlesbrough and Newcastle, to bring it all home on the holidays.
i was just hoping to hear how people deal with it like storage and such.
:curious:

Most people have their parents come pick them up on a weekend and take everything back.

If that's not possible I remember being emailed the possibility of storage or you can find a friend in self who's happy to have some of your stuff there over the holidays.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
best halls for 1st years, i need a first choice and back up ?
Reply 702
Original post by Hellooo5667
best halls for 1st years, i need a first choice and back up ?

Requirements in terms of catering/bathroom?

Basically anywhere in Oadby though and you can't go far wrong.
Reply 703
I got my offer for Computer Science for 2013 entry :biggrin: Okay now its about where to stay, loved john fosters when i visited but my gf stays at Opal court atm and says its amazing too. I want a room with a double bed and ensuite and don't mind if its city or oadby, any ideas?
Hello,

I have an unconditional offer to start media & communications in september 2013...I was just wondering if anyone could help me with accomodation...I want a self catered ensuite (but I don't mind not having an ensuite...) and from what I've seen I think I wanna be in Oadby even though it is forever away from the uni. Can you bike to uni from there? Prob can't afford John foster but I like the look of beeches and a few others that come off that....just can't find much info on it from the website...any suggestions on the good ones?!

Thaaaanks
BEAUMONT! anyone else love it?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 706
Original post by Matty12345
BEAUMONT! anyone else love it?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me :wink:
I want to live in a long corridor in Beaumont hall hopefully :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ginariasa
hi, i'm thinking of going beaumont catered en-suite, but you have to take all your stuff out over Christmas i heard.

how do people deal with that?

i think it'd be a bit much for me seeing as i live in Hartlepool which is in between Middlesbrough and Newcastle, to bring it all home on the holidays.
i was just hoping to hear how people deal with it like storage and such.
:curious:

Usually your parents come and pick everything up when they take you home for the holidays too. It is a pain but it's not THAT big a deal. Although sometimes people leave some things with friends who live in self-catered accommodation over the holidays to save them taking it home seeing as they don't have to empty all their stuff.

Original post by Azar123
I got my offer for Computer Science for 2013 entry :biggrin: Okay now its about where to stay, loved john fosters when i visited but my gf stays at Opal court atm and says its amazing too. I want a room with a double bed and ensuite and don't mind if its city or oadby, any ideas?

As far as I know the university don't offer accommodation with double beds at all. However there are private accommodation providers that do, such as Unite.

Original post by annieconstable3
Hello,

I have an unconditional offer to start media & communications in september 2013...I was just wondering if anyone could help me with accomodation...I want a self catered ensuite (but I don't mind not having an ensuite...) and from what I've seen I think I wanna be in Oadby even though it is forever away from the uni. Can you bike to uni from there? Prob can't afford John foster but I like the look of beeches and a few others that come off that....just can't find much info on it from the website...any suggestions on the good ones?!

Thaaaanks

You can definitely cycle from Oadby to uni, lots of people do it. Also the bus doesn't take long if it's like, the middle of the day. In the mornings it does take quite awhile though. Also, have a look at Bowder Court. It's part of GMS and it's self-catered and ensuite and really really nice and modern, looks a lot like the John Foster pavillions.
I'm currently living in GMS Lasdun. It looks like a complete hole from the outside, but inside it's actually really nice. It's cheap, you have two toilets between six of you [non communal] and the bar is 20 metres away for most people living here.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough, and people from JoFo are usually rich ***** anyway.
Original post by Sentenashi
I'm currently living in GMS Lasdun. It looks like a complete hole from the outside, but inside it's actually really nice. It's cheap, you have two toilets between six of you [non communal] and the bar is 20 metres away for most people living here.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough, and people from JoFo are usually rich ***** anyway.

Im choosing between GMS or Beaumont! Which one would you say is better for a sporty sociable lad who wants to live with quite a few people? Try not to be biased towards GMS though haha!

I really cant decide between the two!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 711
Im choosing between GMS or Beaumont! Which one would you say is better for a sporty sociable lad who wants to live with quite a few people? Try not to be biased towards GMS though haha!

I really cant decide between the two!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much a coin flip.

But, also, Beaumont :wink:
I am swaying towards Beaumont mainly because of the great catered accomodation! The dining hall looks like the great hall from harry potter haha :-) Also the amount of people on a corridor is quite big so must be very sociable and fun!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am swaying towards Beaumont mainly because of the great catered accomodation! The dining hall looks like the great hall from harry potter haha :-) Also the amount of people on a corridor is quite big so must be very sociable and fun!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 18 guys living all on one floor where I am, and lots of us do sport. You'll probably be happy wherever you are, and I haven't ever lived in Beaumont so I can't say without being biased, but you will fit in at GMS.

You'll fit in anywhere really, it just depends what level of luxury you want in terms of your room.
I'd say go for GMS, everyone I have spoke to says it's the most social, that's where I live. I have friends in JoFo and most of them say that it isn't as social,I have one friend that doesn't even speak to any of her flat mates, they just all ignore each other... also it's soooo expensive and if you can deal with not having BRAND NEW accomodation then go for GMS. Bowder Court in GMS is just as nice as JoFo but also expensive. I live in a premium single room (shared bathroom and kitchen) with a sink in my room and I love it. We have 5 bathrooms between 12 of us so it's definitely worth the £800 less you pay for for the room, you don't need an en suit... The majority of GMS is alot older but it's generally not too bad.

If you're catered you don't get a dining room, so if you can kind of cook go self catered, you usually get a really good social area. Look into how much load you get before, I have friends whos loan doesn't even cover the cost of basic accomodation so JoFo wasn't an option... Living in general is expensive, especially is you're going out so all the money left over you have is worth it. You also have to move out at Christmas (yes... everything), which is also a massive pain, and can't move back till the day before term starts; you can't come back early (many of us did to focus for exams).
GMS also has S Bar, which is the best one and if kind of in the middle, and one of the closest if you're walking for ASDA; which is great when you have haeavy things...

BUTTT is you have 9am/10am lectures you'll have to walk to the JoFo bus stop, otherwise you won't be able to get on... only takes about 1 minute though.

DON'T GO FOR MARY GEE, you can never get on the bus early, it's far from everyone, when there's free buses to nights out they don't stop there, people also hate on you because you live there. You end up having to walk to Uni all the time and it's SOO FARR from asda and the Manor Road gym....
Reply 715
filbert village ! nice spacious rooms and party halls ! mixture of demotford and leicester students
Reply 716
Original post by Emily.Hart
DON'T GO FOR MARY GEE, you can never get on the bus early, it's far from everyone, when there's free buses to nights out they don't stop there, people also hate on you because you live there. You end up having to walk to Uni all the time and it's SOO FARR from asda and the Manor Road gym....

Sure the buses are usually full by the time they get to mary gee, but it is a 30 minute walk at max to uni, not far at all. The free buses stopped at mary gee every single night of freshers so that is a lie. People don't hate on you, it's just considered a bit of a joke to live there, it is actually perfectly adequate accomodation and is said to be one of the more sociable halls. Yes it is a bit of a walk to ASDA and the uni, but not everyone can afford a £300 bus pass. There is nothing wrong with Mary Gee! :smile:
Original post by Heyimdec
Sure the buses are usually full by the time they get to mary gee, but it is a 30 minute walk at max to uni, not far at all. The free buses stopped at mary gee every single night of freshers so that is a lie. People don't hate on you, it's just considered a bit of a joke to live there, it is actually perfectly adequate accomodation and is said to be one of the more sociable halls. Yes it is a bit of a walk to ASDA and the uni, but not everyone can afford a £300 bus pass. There is nothing wrong with Mary Gee! :smile:

Why would you choose mary G over the student village?? Oadby I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emily.Hart
I'd say go for GMS, everyone I have spoke to says it's the most social, that's where I live. I have friends in JoFo and most of them say that it isn't as social,I have one friend that doesn't even speak to any of her flat mates, they just all ignore each other... also it's soooo expensive and if you can deal with not having BRAND NEW accomodation then go for GMS. Bowder Court in GMS is just as nice as JoFo but also expensive. I live in a premium single room (shared bathroom and kitchen) with a sink in my room and I love it. We have 5 bathrooms between 12 of us so it's definitely worth the £800 less you pay for for the room, you don't need an en suit... The majority of GMS is alot older but it's generally not too bad.

If you're catered you don't get a dining room, so if you can kind of cook go self catered, you usually get a really good social area. Look into how much load you get before, I have friends whos loan doesn't even cover the cost of basic accomodation so JoFo wasn't an option... Living in general is expensive, especially is you're going out so all the money left over you have is worth it. You also have to move out at Christmas (yes... everything), which is also a massive pain, and can't move back till the day before term starts; you can't come back early (many of us did to focus for exams).
GMS also has S Bar, which is the best one and if kind of in the middle, and one of the closest if you're walking for ASDA; which is great when you have haeavy things...

BUTTT is you have 9am/10am lectures you'll have to walk to the JoFo bus stop, otherwise you won't be able to get on... only takes about 1 minute though.

Great second name by the way. My names Luke Hart, I hide under the Matty identity, but now thats out....

ahh I cant decide!

Can I get catered standard/premium ensuite in GMS? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
And..... Im really unsure whether I need the ensuite or not. Such hard decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending