The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Modern Languages Applicants at Durham? :)

Scroll to see replies

French and ab initio Arabic at St Cuthbert's :tongue:
Last uni I'm waiting to hear from.
Offers from Leeds, Manchester and UCL.
I am also a proud Cambridge reject :biggrin:
If I get an offer it will be a tough choice between UCL and Durham... the course looks great at both but they are such different places to live in!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Got my offer for French at the end of November. University College haven't said if they'll accept me or not though yet!
Reply 22
Applied for Italian and Russian ab initio at St. Cuths at the beginning of October, no offer yet, offers from Bristol, Exeter and Birmingham, rejected by Oxford :P not sure if Durham is the place for me though...
Reply 23
Original post by geemorton
Applied for Italian and Russian ab initio at St. Cuths at the beginning of October, no offer yet, offers from Bristol, Exeter and Birmingham, rejected by Oxford :P not sure if Durham is the place for me though...

what makes you think that about Durham? because I think I'm in the same situation really, on paper it's the best uni I've got left but just not sure whether it's for me
Reply 24
Original post by largehound
what makes you think that about Durham? because I think I'm in the same situation really, on paper it's the best uni I've got left but just not sure whether it's for me

I also have Bristol, which I think is pretty much on par with Durham, but others think Durham has a slight edge.. :/ basically I'm worried it's not a big enough place for me, I've been brought up in the country and feel like I need a bigger city! Also I want a place with good nightlife and I don't think Durham has that :/ plus, I'm from the South West and so it is a LONG way away, I mean I want to be away from home but not so far that it's a bomb to get back whenever I want! I'm worried that Durham sometimes attracts introverted, sheltered people because of the size and low crime rate (no offence intended!) and I've lived with those sorts of people all my life and I want to get away :/ What about you?
I also have Bristol, which I think is pretty much on par with Durham, but others think Durham has a slight edge.. :/ basically I'm worried it's not a big enough place for me, I've been brought up in the country and feel like I need a bigger city! Also I want a place with good nightlife and I don't think Durham has that :/ plus, I'm from the South West and so it is a LONG way away, I mean I want to be away from home but not so far that it's a bomb to get back whenever I want! I'm worried that Durham sometimes attracts introverted, sheltered people because of the size and low crime rate (no offence intended!) and I've lived with those sorts of people all my life and I want to get away :/ What about you?

I can definitely understand your points about wanting somewhere bigger when you've been in a quiet place for most of your life, but just wanted to reassure that Durham's got more than enough extroverts to go around - possibly also has the advantage that it has a number of extroverted groups that appeal to introverts - things like the Assassins and Treasure Trap. So it's definitely not quiet, but it's still a completely different atmosphere to a big city.
Decided that I really didn't want to go to Durham and withdrew my application, firstly because I didn't want to get rejected and secondly because it was obvious that I was going to be one of the last to be considered; I didn't want to get an offer instead of someone who really wanted it. Good deed done for the lifetime. Good luck, guys!
Reply 27

I'm in exactly same situation as you! I reckon i'll put bristol as firm even if I do get an offer from Durham, just need somewhere big! Fed up of living in the middle of nowhere. I'm from Somerset where you from? Also, what languages you hoping to study? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Alice07
I'm in exactly same situation as you! I reckon i'll put bristol as firm even if I do get an offer from Durham, just need somewhere big! Fed up of living in the middle of nowhere. I'm from Somerset where you from? Also, what languages you hoping to study? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

aha I'm from Somerset too! where abouts are you? I do French and Italian A level at the moment but I've applied for Italian and Russian :smile: what about you? the thing is, if I get really good results I will re-apply for Oxford (got an interview this year, but not a place) :/
Reply 29
aha I'm from Somerset too! where abouts are you? I do French and Italian A level at the moment but I've applied for Italian and Russian :smile: what about you? the thing is, if I get really good results I will re-apply for Oxford (got an interview this year, but not a place) :/

Taunton- you? And I'm applying for french and ab initio Spanish :smile: I think I'm the only one here that didn't apply to Oxbridge! Didn't have the AS grades. Ah well. Just wish Durham would reply already!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Alice07
Taunton- you? And I'm applying for french and ab initio Spanish :smile: I think I'm the only one here that didn't apply to Oxbridge! Didn't have the AS grades. Ah well. Just wish Durham would reply already!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahaha seriously are you joking?! I live a bit further north but I go to Taunton School! :P where are you then? yeah I am pretty sure I won't go to Durham, but I just want them to either give me an offer or reject me so I can decide!
Reply 31
ahaha seriously are you joking?! I live a bit further north but I go to Taunton School! :P where are you then? yeah I am pretty sure I won't go to Durham, but I just want them to either give me an offer or reject me so I can decide!

Wellington school :smile: my best friend goes to taunton though! Hahaa this is sooo weird! I know, same, I love Bristol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Alice07
Wellington school :smile: my best friend goes to taunton though! Hahaa this is sooo weird! I know, same, I love Bristol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahaha alice david right? we've just been discussing it! :P aha this is weird :smile:
Reply 33
hahaha alice david right? we've just been discussing it! :P aha this is weird :smile:

Whoa that's weird! How did you know?! Ahaa out of all the thousands of students on the student room...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Update: Just got my offer! Really happy, but unsure whether I'd prefer Durham or UCL.:s-smilie:
I got my offer for French, Spanish and ab initio Arabic back in November - wouldn't have considered another university on Earth, to be honest. Applied to Chad's, but no news from the first three waves, so still waiting...
Reply 36
Original post by Alice07

Posted from TSR Mobile

N'awwww! My thread, bringing people together since 2013 hahaha :P
Reply 37
Original post by Bl'oody Hazel
Update: Just got my offer! Really happy, but unsure whether I'd prefer Durham or UCL.:s-smilie:

Well done!!!!! :smile:
well you're in the best position possible, right?! :biggrin: have fun choosing, I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you go :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by El Gaditano
I got my offer for French, Spanish and ab initio Arabic back in November - wouldn't have considered another university on Earth, to be honest. Applied to Chad's, but no news from the first three waves, so still waiting...

That's so exciting, well done! :smile:
And I'm sure you'll hear soon! I got my acceptance into Collingwood on the 22nd of Jan I think, which was good in the sense that I know where I'm going, but bad in the sense that it has made me really impatient to leave already!!!
Just got an offer for French, Spanish and ab-initio Russian :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest