The Student Room Group

How to stop supporting a football team?!

post removed
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
No you didn't...
So at first you supported Norwich? Now you support AV?

Troll got caught by the quote.
Reply 3
in reality no - if you are that deep into feelings about your team then you cant really go back easily. i suppose make sure your busy with other things (maybe stop going to games/ checking updates?)

but

its never going to all be plain sailing as a football fan (unless you support man united) and a large part of supporting a team is being there through thick and thin, going through all the emotion associated with football. in recent years villa have had thier amazing highs under martin o'niell , now they are suffering. teams will go through highs and lows but as supporters you should always want to be thier for your team

personally my team has been relegated 3 times and twice suffered play-off dissapointment whilst ive supported them... but its all been worth it for the highs of promotion and the cup runs

so dont give up!
Anonymous?
You didn't even post anonymously.. How would saying what team support change anything.
Reply 5
You can't stop supporting team if you're a true fan. But it sure isn't hard if your a glory hunter.
You want my advice, get behind them. Yeah we are doing awful at the minute and it kills me to see us second bottom but I refuse to be a gloryhunting supporter, I will always be Villa even if they were a non league team, if you are a true fan you will stick with them regardless of how bad it is. My Dad never stopped supporting them even when they went down to the old third division in the seventies. I just personally could not stop supporting the Villa even in the bad times.
I'm a Manchester City fan and have been for about 9 years, this is during the later stages of Kevin Keegan and the pathetic attempt of management by Stuart Pearce, it was a struggle but I loved the club and having a idol at the club helps a bunch (Mine was Shaun Wright-Philips), stay with team and be proud to support them. You never know, things might take a turn for the good :smile:
Just support Man U, then realise that your a gloryhunter and then stop supporting. Simple as!
Reply 9
The moment you realise you're spending time and money on overpaid half-asked players from outside your local area or country playing for your local team which is managed by someone from outside your local area or country in which you supposedly have 'local pride' for, you'll stop.
I support Manchester United and I'm from Ireland and I watched United loose to PSG how do I get out of this team
Reply 11
That description is uncannily like most gamblers feel.
Just bet £50 on the other team every time Villa play.
Just stop to support your team at a match day, be it at home or in the stadiums Villa is playing. Boycott the matches if you are brassed off.
Reply 13
I hope the OP hasn’t been betting £50 on the other team.
What a transformation in the Villa!
They’re looking a great bet for promotion now especially if they can come 5th and avoid either Norwich ,Leeds or Sheffield Utd in the play off semis.
all of football is a waste of time you are supporting a bunch of men kicking around a ball even if you think i dont understand football i was very caught up i would spend all my time reading and watching and following until i realised what a waste of time it was so my advice is for the next 2 months try not to follow watch or even read about football this means not even checking the results or table i promise u at the beginning it will be weird but at the end u will be thanking me so much!!!
Just ignore the team, stop looking for the results, cancel any membership and perhaps always have a commitment at 4.50pm on a Saturday that keeps you away from a tv or the internet.

Or follow the example of all those who will desert Manchester United when they fail yet again to win the League this season.

Quick Reply

Latest