The Student Room Group

why didn't china think through their 1 child policy

China clearly didn't think through their 1 child policy. It seems like a rash decision with no thought about the consequences. Why the hell didn't they think it through more?

Yes it was good that try tried to deal with their population issues.

BUT

1) lots of female foetuses were aborted as boys were more desirable. This means there's way more boys than girls.

2) There won't be enough young people to work/ support the older generations.

3) Instead of forcing women to have abortions (if they can't afford the fine), they should have provided free contraception.

4) Carrying on from 3, wouldn't it have been better to focus on educating and encouraging people to have less kids rather than going about it like the nazis would have done ie dictating what people do rather than giving people a choice.

IMO the better way to deal with it would be to look at the average birthrate then lower it slowly, so they have a stable population. And like I said above, encourage and educate people and provide free contraception/ steralisation after 1/2 kids.

How could they be so stupid?

Why the negs, what's the point, everything I've said is right, I've studied this in a-level geography. Anyway do you think someone with 4 red gems cares about rep anymore, you'r wasting it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They don't /force/ women to have abortions - you are allowed to have more than one child, you have to pay a lot more tax though.
Reply 2
Original post by RibenaRockstar
They don't /force/ women to have abortions - you are allowed to have more than one child, you have to pay a lot more tax though.

yes but if they couldn't afford the fine/tax then their only option would be to have an abortion, which is basically forcing them to have it.
Reply 3
China don't force abortions they just impose heavy taxes, if you can't afford the taxes they're not very friendly though.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Say what you like about China, but at least they have some sort of policy to dissuade population growth.
Reply 5
But regardless whilst the policy is radical, it's a very smart system, as it means there won't be mass unemployment in society as this generation dies out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by BradWills20
China don't force abortions they just impose heavy taxes, if you can't afford the taxes they're not very friendly though.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I just said, if you can't afford the fine then you're ony option is to live in squalor or have an abortion.
Reply 7
Original post by Clare~Bear
1) lots of female foetuses were aborted as boys were more desirable. This means there's way more boys than girls.

Just means even less people are produced in the next generation as guys won't find a girl. Over-population problem solved :cool:
Reply 8
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Say what you like about China, but at least they have some sort of policy to dissuade population growth.

I did credit them for trying, but they clearly didn't think it through at all.

But regardless whilst the policy is radical, it's a very smart system, as it means there won't be mass unemployment in society as this generation dies out

Posted from TSR Mobile

How they've gone about it is not smart at all. The working age people will be strained though to work and apy for the huge amount of old people though. In decades time it will balance out if they're allowed 2 kids, but for the meanwhile they're going to have major issues.
Reply 9
Original post by Chr0n
Just means even less people are produced in the next generation as guys won't find a girl. Over-population problem solved :cool:

But then you have a load of old people and hardly anyone of working age to pay taxes and look after the old people. The situation in britian with an aging population is bad enough.
I'm sure they did think it through, but didn't think of how extreme it could have been. Anyway, the one child policy has been lifted in rural areas to help with work (mostly farming) as they have realised some of what you have written.

EDIT: Actually, I started to look into it more... only 35% of people had this "restriction" imposed on them, they weren't giving it a blanket ban, just trying to dissuade population growth
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Pretty sure they did provide free contraception to many working females?
Western Europe is gradually becoming top-heavy too. Immigration will have to be encouraged at some point

And what is the reasoning behind this? Armchair economics...
Reply 14
Like I just said, if you can't afford the fine then you're ony option is to live in squalor or have an abortion.

Is there a problem with that? At least it's a choice.

Anyway, I'm sure most Chinese think the problems they're faced with now are a reasonable price to pay compared with the alternative that seemed likely in 70's.
Reply 15
China clearly didn't think through their 1 child policy. It seems like a rash decision with no thought about the consequences. Why the hell didn't they think it through more?

Yes it was good that try tried to deal with their population issues.

BUT

2) There won't be enough young people to work/ support the older generations.

3) Instead of forcing women to have abortions (if they can't afford the fine), they should have provided free contraception.

4) Carrying on from 3, wouldn't it have been better to focus on educating and encouraging people to have less kids rather than going about it like the nazis would have done.

IMO the better way to deal with it would be to look at the average birthrate then lower it slowly, so they have a stable population. And like I said above, encourage and educate people and provide free contraception/ steralisation after 1/2 kids.

How could they be so stupid?
Nice contradiction, if you did any absolute GCSE Nazi Germany history, you would realise that women were encouraged to have kids (of an aryan race) and care for the family, not to regulate the amount of kids. Women were even awarded medals and more money for having more children, this is the direct opposite in the case of China.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

Improving the standard of living is a better way of doing that.
OP, how long has the policy been in place? And it doesn't seem to be affect them too badly now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Chr0n

Because there are absolutely no problems with having more geriatrics than workers? Overpopulation isn't as big a problem as a top heavy population with an average age of 60.
Reply 19
Original post by Robbie242
Nice contradiction, if you did any absolute GCSE Nazi Germany history, you would realise that women were encouraged to have kids (of an aryan race) and care for the family, not to regulate the amount of kids. Women were even awarded medals and more money for having more children, this is the direct opposite in the case of China.

I meant as in being a dictatorship. And no i've never studied the Nazis in depth. We did a bit about Hitler in www1 and what he did after but not him/ the nazis as leaders.
OP, how long has the policy been in place? And it doesn't seem to be affect them too badly now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is/ will cause them problems, we learnt about it in geography.

Original post by Arbolus
Is there a problem with that? At least it's a choice.

Anyway, I'm sure most Chinese think the problems they're faced with now are a reasonable price to pay compared with the alternative that seemed likely in 70's.

Not much of a choice if you already live on the poverty line.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending