The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AgedParent
Minerva, firstly for your stats: my son (not posting on here himself) was pooled for Phys Nat Sci, re-interviewed and then drowned. Has offers from Durham, Imperial and UCL so will probably go to Durham, unless takes a year off and re-applies. Still waiting to hear from St Andrews.

Secondly, I wanted to thank you more than words can describe, for all your work on this thread. Like many, parents and candidates, I feel I have only been kept alive over the past few weeks by hanging on to this thread.

Finally, I wondered whether I could ask people, through you, for their experience in re-application. I know there have been some posts about this already, and I take as granted the idea that it would be pointless even to think about it without 4A*s - which he is predicted anyway - this summer, and sky-high USM as well: at least 95%.

I have three concerns in particular: first, can anyone give any details about which universities might not repeat an offer? (eg Durham!)

Second, although various people have spoken about re-application, my son is under the impression that it is only possible if applications are withdrawn from UCAS BEFORE taking A Levels, and becomes impossible after receiving A Level results because by then the firm offer has become contractually binding. On the other hand no one else has mentioned this problem on this thread. Does anyone have a clue?!

Third, how different might Oxford be? - my son only applied to Camb because of Nat Sci, but strongly preferred Oxford, so maybe it would make sense, if he re-applies, to do so there. Any thoughts, or is that heresy on a thread dedicated to Cambridge?

I know this thread has practically come to an end now, but if there is another thread I should be on, it would be great to know. AgedParent is too old to know much about these things, and badly needs help. (In fact this is the first forum etc I have ever been on - beat that!)

If anyone is still reading this, my thanks to all of you for the good grace which most people have shown in dealing with their great disappointment - it has been an education for me. Good luck to you wherever you do go - Durham? -
and I hope lots of you interesting people meet up there (including own offspring!?) and have the intellectual time of your lives. And fun!

First thoughts would be that imperial is the highest ranking for sciences followed by UCL then Durham so unless he loathes the idea of London he should think carefully.

Secondly there are plenty of people whose decision to withdraw is made after A2 results and no university can or will make you come if you withdraw.

If he gets A*A*A* or better he will almost certainly get the same offers again, I see no evidence of universities penalising those who reapply. (this is why he should wait till post results before he makes the decision, an unlucky for him A*A* or worse makes it a riskier decision.

Oxford was regarded as significantly easier for sciences at my school although many courses do ask for A*A*A. Having said that if he does get 95% average and has good Gap year plans and does some serious reading he should have a good chance at Cambridge. what were his sciences UMS this year? Does he have any inkling of why he didn't get an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamsherlocked
What did they reply? x

I got a really kind e-mail back saying that although the chances are slim, should someone want to defer / a place open up for entry in 2013 in August when the results come through, they'll let me know and I'm "top of the waiting list" :smile:) I'm happy with that, off to plan my gap year!
Reply 5762
Minerva, firstly for your stats: my son (not posting on here himself) was pooled for Phys Nat Sci, re-interviewed and then drowned. Has offers from Durham, Imperial and UCL so will probably go to Durham, unless takes a year off and re-applies. Still waiting to hear from St Andrews.

Secondly, I wanted to thank you more than words can describe, for all your work on this thread. Like many, parents and candidates, I feel I have only been kept alive over the past few weeks by hanging on to this thread.
Glad it was helpful. Commiserations to your son, but he's got some great options instead.

Finally, I wondered whether I could ask people, through you, for their experience in re-application. I know there have been some posts about this already, and I take as granted the idea that it would be pointless even to think about it without 4A*s - which he is predicted anyway - this summer, and sky-high USM as well: at least 95%.

I have three concerns in particular: first, can anyone give any details about which universities might not repeat an offer? (eg Durham!)
If he's got good grades on top of a strong application (which he clearly has) no reason why he wouldn't get those offers again. People re-apply all the time.

Second, although various people have spoken about re-application, my son is under the impression that it is only possible if applications are withdrawn from UCAS BEFORE taking A Levels, and becomes impossible after receiving A Level results because by then the firm offer has become contractually binding. On the other hand no one else has mentioned this problem on this thread. Does anyone have a clue?!
As Colmans has said, you can withdraw from a confirmed place at any time before enrolment, although the earlier after Results Day the better as it gives the uni time to find someone else in Clearing to take the place instead (or they might take a near-miss applicant).

Third, how different might Oxford be? - my son only applied to Camb because of Nat Sci, but strongly preferred Oxford, so maybe it would make sense, if he re-applies, to do so there. Any thoughts, or is that heresy on a thread dedicated to Cambridge?
Oxford is very different; if he likes the university better, then he needs to take a cool hard look at the course they offer and decide whether it's for him or not. There is a general perception that Cambridge is generally 'stronger' in science than Oxford but at this level the difference is pretty marginal. I've certainly known of science graduates from Oxford doing rather well! If your son is planning an academic career in science Cambridge might be 'better' - but then again it's not unknown for dark blue undergrads to turn into light blue graduate students :biggrin:

I know this thread has practically come to an end now, but if there is another thread I should be on, it would be great to know. AgedParent is too old to know much about these things, and badly needs help. (In fact this is the first forum etc I have ever been on - beat that!)
Welcome :smile:

I mostly hang out here, in UCAS but you might also like to take a look at The Parent Room.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Colmans
First thoughts would be that imperial is the highest ranking for sciences followed by UCL then Durham so unless he loathes the idea of London he should think carefully.

Secondly there are plenty of people whose decision to withdraw is made after A2 results and no university can or will make you come if you withdraw.

If he gets A*A*A* or better he will almost certainly get the same offers again, I see no evidence of universities penalising those who reapply. (this is why he should wait till post results before he makes the decision, an unlucky for him A*A* or worse makes it a riskier decision.

Oxford was regarded as significantly easier for sciences at my school although many courses do ask for A*A*A. Having said that if he does get 95% average and has good Gap year plans and does some serious reading he should have a good chance at Cambridge. what were his sciences UMS this year? Does he have any inkling of why he didn't get an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Colmans, thank you for this.

Re no offer: school has asked for feed-back. Evidently not poor on paper, so I suspect catastrophic interviews; he's a very private sort and I wonder whether being ruthlessly probed at intv made him clam up. Hope to find this out, as presume this sort of attitude not really amenable to change, like being tone-deaf; would probably make him decide against re-application.

UMS: from memory about 97% overall for 5 subjs including one non-science AS. For the 4 maths/science papers, also over 95% in aggregate, though one paper was just under 95 and it was the other higher marks which held the average up.

Good to hear your confirmation re not taking the risk until after A level results are out. How do you have your finger on the pulse about other universities making/not making repeat offers, given that you are already at Cambridge? - I'm asking out of interest, not trying to be impertinent, but obviously please don't answer if you think I am prying.

Thanks for your thoughts about other universities. The trouble is that he does lots of extra-curricular stuff and I think this is what is interesting him about Durham. In general I would say that what distinguishes him is precisely that he is an all-rounder rather than a future Nobel prize-winner. Maybe that is just not acceptable any more.

But in any case, huge thanks for your input.
Original post by Minerva
Glad it was helpful. Commiserations to your son, but he's got some great options instead.

If he's got good grades on top of a strong application (which he clearly has) no reason why he wouldn't get those offers again. People re-apply all the time.

As Colmans has said, you can withdraw from a confirmed place at any time before enrolment, although the earlier after Results Day the better as it gives the uni time to find someone else in Clearing to take the place instead (or they might take a near-miss applicant).

Oxford is very different; if he likes the university better, then he needs to take a cool hard look at the course they offer and decide whether it's for him or not. There is a general perception that Cambridge is generally 'stronger' in science than Oxford but at this level the difference is pretty marginal. I've certainly known of science graduates from Oxford doing rather well! If your son is planning an academic career in science Cambridge might be 'better' - but then again it's not unknown for dark blue undergrads to turn into light blue graduate students :biggrin:

Welcome :smile:

I mostly hang out here, in UCAS but you might also like to take a look at The Parent Room.

Minerva, my sincerest thanks for your help. I have just replied to Colmans' questions, so I won't repeat it all here. Once the school has feedback, the way may seem a little clearer (may!), and meanwhile it is wonderful to know that you are there, along with so many other friendly voices.

Many thanks again.

Re no offer: school has asked for feed-back. Evidently not poor on paper, so I suspect catastrophic interviews; he's a very private sort and I wonder whether being ruthlessly probed at intv made him clam up. Hope to find this out, as presume this sort of attitude not really amenable to change, like being tone-deaf; would probably make him decide against re-application.

UMS: from memory about 97% overall for 5 subjs including one non-science AS. For the 4 maths/science papers, also over 95% in aggregate, though one paper was just under 95 and it was the other higher marks which held the average up.

Good to hear your confirmation re not taking the risk until after A level results are out. How do you have your finger on the pulse about other universities making/not making repeat offers, given that you are already at Cambridge? - I'm asking out of interest, not trying to be impertinent, but obviously please don't answer if you think I am prying.

Thanks for your thoughts about other universities. The trouble is that he does lots of extra-curricular stuff and I think this is what is interesting him about Durham. In general I would say that what distinguishes him is precisely that he is an all-rounder rather than a future Nobel prize-winner. Maybe that is just not acceptable any more.

This is a very tough decision for you both, and I would not dream of advising one way or another on the reapplication question. But on the subject of London vs. Durham, could I PM you as we spent ages discussing this at home? (Not sure how I PM on this thread)

It is a fair enough question. Firstly I went to a school where about 150 applied to Oxbridge, got about 80 offers, most of the remainder went on to get very good grades so a fair few reapplied. The school gave pretty good advice based on its experience although perhaps at times tougher than the general advice given out on TSR. Secondly I have younger siblings who went to medical school/Bristol or and whose friends trod this route. Not perfect information true, but you can also see a pattern if you watch some of these forums.

I think all-rounders still actively appeal to Durham/Bristol etc but Oxbridge will always take the academic over the rugby or flute player. That doesn't mean that there are not ample EC opportunities once you get here.

I'm not convinced universities even have the time to track who applied last year. They want to get the best applicants and throwing a tantrum because somebody is good enough to try for Oxbridge makes no more sense second time round than first. People used to claim if you applied before the deadline that these other places rejected you, but friends at Durham & Bristol say that ex-Oxbridge applicants seem to be in the majority!
Original post by Colmans
It is a fair enough question. Firstly I went to a school where about 150 applied to Oxbridge, got about 80 offers, most of the remainder went on to get very good grades so a fair few reapplied. The school gave pretty good advice based on its experience although perhaps at times tougher than the general advice given out on TSR. Secondly I have younger siblings who went to medical school/Bristol or and whose friends trod this route. Not perfect information true, but you can also see a pattern if you watch some of these forums.

I think all-rounders still actively appeal to Durham/Bristol etc but Oxbridge will always take the academic over the rugby or flute player. That doesn't mean that there are not ample EC opportunities once you get here.

I'm not convinced universities even have the time to track who applied last year. They want to get the best applicants and throwing a tantrum because somebody is good enough to try for Oxbridge makes no more sense second time round than first. People used to claim if you applied before the deadline that these other places rejected you, but friends at Durham & Bristol say that ex-Oxbridge applicants seem to be in the majority!

Ah, most interesting and intriguing. And so kind of you to give others the benefit of your own family and school experiences - thank you again. All views I garner are being left for a bit to turn over in my parental mind...
Reply 5768
Well if you've got some good plans for a gap year why not. A chance to reapply for your dream Uni is a bonus.
But take the gap year because you want a gap year not because of Cambridge.

And Minerva thank you for this thread.

Second, although various people have spoken about re-application, my son is under the impression that it is only possible if applications are withdrawn from UCAS BEFORE taking A Levels, and becomes impossible after receiving A Level results because by then the firm offer has become contractually binding. On the other hand no one else has mentioned this problem on this thread. Does anyone have a clue?

'We' re-applied this year after a very late decision to do so (Sept 2012) 'resigning' an offer at a top London university. I emailed the London Admissions Tutor to get their view on such a move - they were very helpful and friendly, quite open to the idea and strongly hinting at a new offer should 'we' make them one of 'our' new choices.

I think you have nothing to lose by asking Durham admissions for their view after you get 'your' results.

Good Luck!
Original post by PugsMum
Thank you so much for posting this. What wonderful feedback. You should feel very proud. My daughter applied to Pembroke to study Phys NatSci and was also pooled. It's interesting to see details about numbers of applicants and information about what the college was looking for in them. Best wishes for the future.

My feedback was almost the same as yours- replace BioNatSci with Medicine and they'll almost match.
Original post by AncientMariner
'We' re-applied this year after a very late decision to do so (Sept 2012) 'resigning' an offer at a top London university. I emailed the London Admissions Tutor to get their view on such a move - they were very helpful and friendly, quite open to the idea and strongly hinting at a new offer should 'we' make them one of 'our' new choices.

I think you have nothing to lose by asking Durham admissions for their view after you get 'your' results.

Good Luck!

AgedParent to AncientMariner: thank you very much indeed. Several people have given "us" (!) their thoughts, and it is so helpful. I'm not sure whether I should have replied using a PM, but in any case I couldn't work out how to do it, being so aged! Presume and hope your story went well and that congratulations are in order.
here's my story: Fitz for english, pooled, Wolfson phone interview, direct rejection to UCAS. im probably going UCL, after receiving an unconditional offer to read english.

Minerva, thank u very very much for all your help. Wonderful advice :smile: my friend, who also applied to Cam and she did not manage to get an offer as well, asked my about the ''summer pool'', something i haven't heard before. do u know what is this about? Thanks
Original post by peter212sp
here's my story: Fitz for english, pooled, Wolfson phone interview, direct rejection to UCAS. im probably going UCL, after receiving an unconditional offer to read english.

Minerva, thank u very very much for all your help. Wonderful advice :smile: my friend, who also applied to Cam and she did not manage to get an offer as well, asked my about the ''summer pool'', something i haven't heard before. do u know what is this about? Thanks

UCL is a very highly regarded university so well done. The summer pool is for offer holders only and allows a few of those who miss offers, especially through illness, and the mathemnaticians to get a place.
Original post by savagedhearts
Congrats! Which subject is this? and did you have a re-interview? :smile:

Thanks :smile: It's French and ab initio German - Magdalene College Cambridge :biggrin:
Reply 5775
Original post by peter212sp

What Colmans says is correct - the summer pool is only for those who have missed their offer.
Reply 5776
Is it possible to be considered for a similar subject after being unsuccesful?
Reply 5777
Original post by ConnorM
Is it possible to be considered for a similar subject after being unsuccesful?
I'm not clear what you mean?
Reply 5778
Original post by Minerva
I'm not clear what you mean?

Well I was rejected after being interviewed for Linguistics at King's College and had extenuating circumstances last year that - at the time of my application - I didn't feel appopriate to put forward, however in hindsight, I wish I had submitted a form. I was wondering if there was a possibility for me to be considered for MML instead, along with an E.C.F. or is this highly unlikely with the competition and numbers? Thanks
Original post by ConnorM
Well I was rejected after being interviewed for Linguistics at King's College and had extenuating circumstances last year that - at the time of my application - I didn't feel appopriate to put forward, however in hindsight, I wish I had submitted a form. I was wondering if there was a possibility for me to be considered for MML instead, along with an E.C.F. or is this highly unlikely with the competition and numbers? Thanks

It is too late for this year. However if you reapply in October you could still submit a form for MML or linguistics then and if your results this summer are good you may get an offer. However you would then need a Gap year as it would be for 2014 entry.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending