The Student Room Group

Oxford Classical Archaeology and Ancient History (CAAH) Students and Applicants

Hi guys,

I would have posted this in the courses thread but there isn't actually one for this course!

I am definitely applying for Classical Archaeology and Ancient History at St John's College, Oxford. I am now preparing myself, as I am currently taking a year out of BA English Literature at Cardiff, for the application and such. I will also use this year out to travel Italy and Greece alone to see ancient remains.

So far I have general knowledge of the Ancient Historical period, but particular knowledge on the works of Cicero, the triumph and fall of the Roman Republic, and some knowledge of Ancient Egyptian and Greek cultures. I aim to do copious amounts of reading in preparation to deepen my knowledge and broaden my general knowledge.

My question is: do any of you lovely TSRers know what areas I should be particularly focusing on? I appeal to any CAAHers or Ancient Historians/Classical Archaeologists who may know more about the course than I can gather from the prospectus. I'd really like to know which areas would be most useful to learn about, in depth, for the interviews.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
The most important part of your application - for any subject - is your potential and demonstrated aptitude. Whilst learning about particular periods might happen to give you something useful to talk about at interview, equally your interview questions might be nothing to do with anything you've read about in great detail. (A friend who studied CAAH was asked his thoughts on a vase of some description at his interview. You couldn't have predicted or prepared for that in advance.)
Reply 3
Original post by Bax-man
The most important part of your application - for any subject - is your potential and demonstrated aptitude. Whilst learning about particular periods might happen to give you something useful to talk about at interview, equally your interview questions might be nothing to do with anything you've read about in great detail. (A friend who studied CAAH was asked his thoughts on a vase of some description at his interview. You couldn't have predicted or prepared for that in advance.)

Natural ability? Gotcha. I guess I should just practice commenting on things I have never seen before in a confident, informative way. Until then all I can really do is try and grasp as much detail about the subjects as I possibly can.

Do you know what kind of things your friend said about the vase in the interview?
Reply 4
Original post by Serpensortia
Natural ability? Gotcha. I guess I should just practice commenting on things I have never seen before in a confident, informative way. Until then all I can really do is try and grasp as much detail about the subjects as I possibly can.

Do you know what kind of things your friend said about the vase in the interview?

It's possibly a minor point but sounding confidence isn't at all important - interviews are designed to take people into unknown territory, which gives nobody good reason to be confident. The ones that are confident are usually not getting it. I mention this not to criticise but to contest the widely held (but inaccurate) belief that the interview process favours candidates who are convinced that they're lords of creations. It's much better to say something intelligent stumblingly and uncertainly than to talk b*****ks smoothly.
Reply 5
Original post by astro67
It's possibly a minor point but sounding confidence isn't at all important - interviews are designed to take people into unknown territory, which gives nobody good reason to be confident. The ones that are confident are usually not getting it. I mention this not to criticise but to contest the widely held (but inaccurate) belief that the interview process favours candidates who are convinced that they're lords of creations. It's much better to say something intelligent stumblingly and uncertainly than to talk b*****ks smoothly.

Fair point, but you can be confident without being cocky or talking *******s. I believe it's about keeping calm and racking your brains thoroughly and before all of that it's about being passionate and prepared.
Reply 6
Anyone else applying for this?
Reply 7
UCAS sent off for CAAH at St John's. Nervous now but pretty excited. I got A*AA last year. Anyone else?
Hi :smile: I'm not taking Ancient History and Archaeology but I have applied for Classics Course II at Jesus College, Oxford so we might take similar modules! May I compliment you on your subject area choice :wink: I haven't completed my A Levels yet but you seem like you're in for a really good chance, well done your grades are great!! What are they in?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by Aristocles123
Hi :smile: I'm not taking Ancient History and Archaeology but I have applied for Classics Course II at Jesus College, Oxford so we might take similar modules! May I compliment you on your subject area choice :wink: I haven't completed my A Levels yet but you seem like you're in for a really good chance, well done your grades are great!! What are they in?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Ah thanks! My A* was history and my two A grades were English lit and Economics :biggrin:
What are you predicted?
Reply 10
Hi guys

I've been invited to St John's college for an interview for Classical Arcaeology and Ancient History :biggrin:

I am now panicking somewhat...does anyone have any pointers for the best ways to prepare for interview for this subject in particular?
Ah thanks! My A* was history and my two A grades were English lit and Economics :biggrin:
What are you predicted?

I'm sorry for the awfully late reply!!

That's amazing! Great solid subjects :smile:

And I'm predicted four As (English literature, history, philosophy, and geography) so no pressure! Ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Aristocles123
I'm sorry for the awfully late reply!!

That's amazing! Great solid subjects :smile:

And I'm predicted four As (English literature, history, philosophy, and geography) so no pressure! Ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries. Have you got an interview? If so, how are you preparing?
No worries. Have you got an interview? If so, how are you preparing?

I was lucky enough to get one despite me thinking I did terribly in the test! How about you? :smile:

I'm just brushing up on what I wrote in my essays and looking at my wider reading, I'm also having a few mock interviews at my college, hopefully it'll go well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I just stumbled upon this thread :smile: Just wondering how everyone got on. Anyone got an offer for CAAH?
Original post by Short Story Long
Hey, I just stumbled upon this thread :smile: Just wondering how everyone got on. Anyone got an offer for CAAH?

Hey :smile: Yeah, conditional to Lincoln. You applied? Do you know if you are in?
Original post by LemonIcedTea
Hey :smile: Yeah, conditional to Lincoln. You applied? Do you know if you are in?

Hi :smile: Yeah, I really unexpectedly got on conditional offer from St Johns. Was Lincoln your first choice?
Hi :smile: Yeah, I really unexpectedly got on conditional offer from St Johns. Was Lincoln your first choice?

Good stuff! Well, exam-dependent, I look forward to meeting you next year (bizarre thought) :smile: My first choice was Merton, but I'm very happy (since my impression of the interview with Lincoln was that I had come across terribly!) - hoping this means that the other girl applying to Merton got in, I really liked her. Was St. Johns yours?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LemonIcedTea
Good stuff! Well, exam-dependent, I look forward to meeting you next year (bizarre thought) :smile: My first choice was Merton, but I'm very happy (since my impression of the interview with Lincoln was that I had come across terribly!) - hoping this means that the other girl applying to Merton got in, I really liked her. Was St. Johns yours?

Ah, my interviews seemed bad but not bad enough to make me cry (I had heard all of the stories where people came out in floods of tears) so I was pretty sure that I hadn't got in. Feel like an idiot now because I told anyone that would listen 'they say you never know, but I know' so everyone believed that I wasn't going to get an offer.

St Johns was my first choice, not very well researched though- my head of sixth form said that it was good because it was rich (aren't all colleges)
and opposite the classics faculty, but after spending a few day there I loved it, though I wouldn't admit that in case of rejection.

There were two places available at St Johns and only 3 candidates that put as first choice. I only met one of them, didn't see her that much but she seemed nice and really passionate about the subject so I hope she got a place.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post :colondollar: congratulations on you offer, and good luck in your exams, we may meet sometime in the future.
Ah, my interviews seemed bad but not bad enough to make me cry (I had heard all of the stories where people came out in floods of tears) so I was pretty sure that I hadn't got in. Feel like an idiot now because I told anyone that would listen 'they say you never know, but I know' so everyone believed that I wasn't going to get an offer.

St Johns was my first choice, not very well researched though- my head of sixth form said that it was good because it was rich (aren't all colleges)
and opposite the classics faculty, but after spending a few day there I loved it, though I wouldn't admit that in case of rejection.

There were two places available at St Johns and only 3 candidates that put as first choice. I only met one of them, didn't see her that much but she seemed nice and really passionate about the subject so I hope she got a place.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post :colondollar: congratulations on you offer, and good luck in your exams, we may meet sometime in the future.

Sorry for the delay in replying, rather caught up in various prelims (yuck).

You too :smile: I'm Liska, by the way. I'm sure we will, it'll be fun!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest