The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8340
House of Cards is pretty good. Soon enough all series will be on the Web. So good that you can watch all the episodes in one go! Blip and youtube have some wicked series too, which are a bit shorter. Check out channel awesome.
Original post by Hugo Rune

Better films I've seen recently: Hiroshima mon amour and Anatomy of a Murder

Both absolutely brilliant. Emmanuelle Riva in the former you mentioned is absolutely stunning. Shame she doesn't appear in that much else.

I happen to be a massive Alain Resnais fan. Have you seen Last Year at Marienbad?

Original post by Abiraleft
Just watched The Conversation, thought it was really good. Probably re-watching L.A. Confidential with a friend in a little while. Just doing some catching up to re-validate my membership of this glorious society. :colondollar:

Gene Hackman is one of my favourite actors, though with what seems to be popular opinion amongst buffs, I found his performance- and the film, actually- quite a task to sit through.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just watched The Conversation, thought it was really good. Probably re-watching L.A. Confidential with a friend in a little while. Just doing some catching up to re-validate my membership of this glorious society. :colondollar:

How was John Cazale in it? It's the only one of his films I've yet to see.

Original post by philistine
Both absolutely brilliant. Emmanuelle Riva in the former you mentioned is absolutely stunning. Shame she doesn't appear in that much else.

I happen to be a massive Alain Resnais fan. Have you seen Last Year at Marienbad?

Yeah I really liked Hiroshima mon amour too. It's been on my mind since I watched it. Just picked it up on a whim really as the title stood out as I'd probably read it somewhere and I noticed Riva's name on it from her role in Haneke's latest, which I'm still yet to see. Really glad I did pick it up! So no, I'm not a Resnais fan (don't believe I've seen anything else by him) but I'm interested in seeing more of his stuff. Last Year at Marienbad noted.

The Conversation is excellent. Totally agree. I presume you've seen The French Connection? He's excellent in that too.

Did you get around to seeing Holy Motors yet? I think you said it was on your list. See if you can spot the quote of classic French chiller Les Yeux sans Visage right at the end.
I've just joined the film fanatics society. I thought I was already a member! :ahee:

Currently watching Yoshishige Yoshida's Good-for-Nothing. Japanese noir and new wave is obscenely difficult to come across. Criterion really need to remedy the situation.
Reply 8345
Just saw Wreck it Ralph yesterday. Have to say, I LOVED it :tongue:
Lawrence > Chastain

No disrespect to Jessica Chastain both were very good performances but I feel like Jennifer Lawrence's showed more depth and range whereas Chastain was more 'tightly controlled CIA agent' not 'bundle of raw emotions' as Lawrence's was. I preferred Silver Linings Playbook too just because I felt Zero Dark Thirty was a bit too much like Homeland whereas SLP was facing a social stigma and trying to confront it without romanticising it as such.
Reply 8347
Are there any screeners of A Good Day to Die Hard floating about?
Original post by Deshi
Oldboy is a great film.

On another note, just re-watched Zodiac and it is very tempting to say that I enjoyed it more than Se7en....

Absolutely agree. Zodiac is brilliant.

Se7en is so ridiculously contrived as to be laughable. The idea that a serial killer would go to such trouble to construct an elaborate series of themed killings is absurd. Honestly! Only in a movie! And the Kevin Spacey character (though I rate him highly as an actor) is just your standard, cookie cutter psycho. All the cliches.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8349
Doing a double bill today. Django Unchained then Hyde Park On Hudson. Very different choices!
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Watched The Intouchables, it was a pretty heart-warming film.

Should be watching that later this week.

Watched Anna Karenina last night. Didn't really enjoy it as it was hard to follow at points.
Reply 8351
Original post by SirMasterKey

Watched Anna Karenina last night. Didn't really enjoy it as it was hard to follow at points.

Try this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026071/?ref_=sr_4
Watch Jezebel earlier today. Was quite enjoyable really.
Reply 8354
Really enjoyed Argo, how did Affleck not get a Best Director nod for the Oscars!?
Just watched Memento - I was interested until about 10 minutes from the end, when I realised I just wasn't understanding the sequence of events and I had gotten too confused for it to be making any sense any more. A good concept for a film, but it didn't work for me. Am now reading the plot synopsis just to make sense of what just happened haha
Original post by salsharifi
Just watched Memento - I was interested until about 10 minutes from the end, when I realised I just wasn't understanding the sequence of events and I had gotten too confused for it to be making any sense any more. A good concept for a film, but it didn't work for me. Am now reading the plot synopsis just to make sense of what just happened haha

yeah, I didn't think much of it either. Style over substance.
Reply 8357
Enjoyed Wreck-it Ralph :biggrin: Funny, touching and heartwarming.
Reply 8358
Original post by philistine

Gene Hackman is one of my favourite actors, though with what seems to be popular opinion amongst buffs, I found his performance- and the film, actually- quite a task to sit through.

I'm afraid I haven't seen enough of Hackman! What would you recommend I look for?

As to the film - it wasn't what I was expecting (much slower and darker) but I really liked it. :yep:

Original post by Hugo Rune
How was John Cazale in it? It's the only one of his films I've yet to see.

Funny, I also finished off Cazale's filmography by watching it. :p: He had a pretty minor role. He executed it well enough, though it's nothing really that memorable. :sadnod: Not at all like Dog Day Afternoon. :sogood:

Original post by Plato's Trousers
The Conversation is excellent. Totally agree. I presume you've seen The French Connection? He's excellent in that too.

Did you get around to seeing Holy Motors yet? I think you said it was on your list. See if you can spot the quote of classic French chiller Les Yeux sans Visage right at the end.

I've seen The French Connection, but it's up for a re-viewing asap - I watched it when I was pretty tired and out of it. :colondollar:

I should be getting Holy Motors on DVD in a couple of weeks. :cute: Along with another couple of DVDs, including Berberian Sound Studio.
I'm afraid I haven't seen enough of Hackman! What would you recommend I look for?

Bonnie and Clyde, Unforgiven, Get Shorty, Enemy of the State, The Royal Tenenbaums, and what has already been said- The French Connection. All great.

I personally think his performance in Unforgiven was spectacular. Top drawer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending