The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Offer for Mphil History of Science :P
Original post by cawcarrot
Gap year students' biggest pro: unconditional!!!!!!!

Original post by rain on dry ground
Ohmygodyes

Original post by hogwartian1993
It is a pretty good feeling :biggrin: but being on a gap year and waiting without anything massively important to do for a year has its moments. I've complained about being on a gap year but this gap years meant I've got into Cambridge so I tend not to moan as much anymore :wink:

Original post by Kavalier
Gap year students' ONLY pro :wink: My gap year is quickly turning out to be the most boring year of my life.

Original post by I am Ace
I'm so glad we're talking about gap years!
People should share their experience from finishing school/ college to the summer, coming up to interview etc. And what you plan to do coming up till the start of the Cambridge year

Yay other gap year-ers! :biggrin: What are you all doing atm?
Original post by Artemis 97

Oh, oh, Oh! :bl:
2013 Gap year thread :moon:
Original post by Charlye
anyone here going to Christ's College?

I have an offer for HSPS - just have to get the grades now! :smile:
Original post by maggie yourong wan
I have a friend who got offer form fitz btw fitz is my dream college I want to apply next year

Ah cool :smile: yeah fitz is amazing imo :biggrin:
Hi!
I'm holding an offer for mathematics at Trinity (Yey!:biggrin:).
However, I'm international and I have read that my college may therefore ask me to take an English test as part of my offer. Fortunately, they didn't ("just" 1,1 in STEP :s-smilie:). Does that mean that they think my English is good enough and that they can't change their minds even after they've seen my final grades? :tongue:
Thank you in advance!
Reply 1646
Original post by Gullesnuffs
Hi!
I'm holding an offer for mathematics at Trinity (Yey!:biggrin:).
However, I'm international and I have read that my college may therefore ask me to take an English test as part of my offer. Fortunately, they didn't ("just" 1,1 in STEP :s-smilie:). Does that mean that they think my English is good enough and that they can't change their minds even after they've seen my final grades? :tongue:
Thank you in advance!

If it's not part of your offer, then you don't have to worry about it I guess. At least that's what I (EU offer holder, also without any English language requirements) do. You should therefore focus on the other conditions of your offer, i.e. STEP. They might believe that if you were able to cope with the interview process conducted in English, you would also be suitable language-wise for the course (which is not at all far-fetched).
Original post by Pandin
If it's not part of your offer, then you don't have to worry about it I guess. At least that's what I (EU offer holder, also without any English language requirements) do. You should therefore focus on the other conditions of your offer, i.e. STEP. They might believe that if you were able to cope with the interview process conducted in English, you would also be suitable language-wise for the course (which is not at all far-fetched).

Awesome! :biggrin:
Well, that's what I thought but it almost seemed too good to be true.
Original post by PartonProduct
Ah cool :smile: yeah fitz is amazing imo :biggrin:

Hello there, Fitzwilliam Maths offerholder here, congratulations on the offer and if STEP be not too challenging for me, I will welcome you with tea and biscuits.
Reply 1649

There are quite a few of us on this thread, it seems! At the moment I'm unfortunately not doing anything exciting at all, just working a lot. I'll be travelling around Asia for a bit in few months time though, am looking forward to that! :smile:
I had an arguement with a friend earlier, concerning whether or not one needs to be 'smart' (ie. quite a bit above average intelligent, witty, sharp, etc) in order to get into Camb, or if simply discipline and hard work will suffice. Was wondering what you guys here think.
Original post by I am Ace
Oh, oh, Oh! :bl:
2013 Gap year thread :moon:

:O make a Cambridge one!

We should start a gap year thread.

I'm turning into a lazy bum in my gap year! I'm worried if I start Cambridge I'll be fluffy up in my mind ... LOL

Am going to embark on some "volunteerism " in a few weeks. Yikes - living without (much) internet
Reply 1653
Original post by Kavalier
There are quite a few of us on this thread, it seems! At the moment I'm unfortunately not doing anything exciting at all, just working a lot. I'll be travelling around Asia for a bit in few months time though, am looking forward to that! :smile:

I'm gap year-ing as well. Life is so boring at the moment!! My job mainly consists of filling in data bases/ripping up paper... But going travelling in march to Asia too :biggrin: where abouts are you going?
Original post by Snowdog94
Hello there, Fitzwilliam Maths offerholder here, congratulations on the offer and if STEP be not too challenging for me, I will welcome you with tea and biscuits.

Hey :smile: *fingers crossed* - tea and biscuits sounds good :tongue:
Reply 1655
Original post by TLi1295
Have any conditional offer holders replied to UCAS and firmed yet? It's scary and I'm worried I might press the wrong buttons...:giggle:

I have :smile:
Reply 1656
Original post by Muppetmad
Fingers crossed! :smile: Just need to make the offer! I've got an offer for History, how about you?

Philosophy :smile:
Reply 1657
Original post by Synecdoche
I had an arguement with a friend earlier, concerning whether or not one needs to be 'smart' (ie. quite a bit above average intelligent, witty, sharp, etc) in order to get into Camb, or if simply discipline and hard work will suffice. Was wondering what you guys here think.

I dont think im very smart or intelligent. I think you just need to want to do well and work really hard. Definitely. :smile:
Original post by Synecdoche

Well of course you need both aspects for a successful application, but I'd say Cambridge do give more credit to the hard-working (than say Oxford do, where the grades etc. you worked so hard to achieve can be overshadowed by an interview).

And for a lot of subjects this year, UMS has been a massive (perhaps even over-riding) factor - and you certainly don't need to be a genius to get high UMS, reasonable intelligence coupled with the capacity to work your arse off is probably enough.
Just got sent my first reading list :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending