The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Advice
I have an interview in three weeks! Can already feel the nerves.

I have to prepare a 5 minute presentation one topic from a list of three (parents in learning, male teachers or the role of primary education.

I'm just worried about my voice - it's not as strong as others and at times sound a bit broken :frown:

Good luck with it - be as confident as you can - the interviewers want to be able to give you a place so dont feel intimidated, try to feel positive about ourself as a future teacher and they will see it in you too!
I have an interview in three weeks! Can already feel the nerves.

I have to prepare a 5 minute presentation one topic from a list of three (parents in learning, male teachers or the role of primary education.

I'm just worried about my voice - it's not as strong as others and at times sound a bit broken :frown:

I agree with Lisadee. Just be positive in yourself and your drive to be a teacher and i'm sure you'll shine through.

I was worried about my voice too during my interview, as soon as I started talking I got panicked as I thought I must have sounded awful. However, the interviewers didn't seem to notice and said I sounded strong and confident.

Just make sure you're comfortable with what you're saying and the rest will come naturally.

And even in the worst case scenario, I'm sure the interviewers won't pick up on it as much as you do yourself.
Original post by Lisadee88
Good luck with it - be as confident as you can - the interviewers want to be able to give you a place so dont feel intimidated, try to feel positive about ourself as a future teacher and they will see it in you too!

Thanks. But no matter how confident I look, my voice is a bit broken and it's easily noticeable.
Original post by lucyhol1012
I agree with Lisadee. Just be positive in yourself and your drive to be a teacher and i'm sure you'll shine through.

I was worried about my voice too during my interview, as soon as I started talking I got panicked as I thought I must have sounded awful. However, the interviewers didn't seem to notice and said I sounded strong and confident.

Just make sure you're comfortable with what you're saying and the rest will come naturally.

And even in the worst case scenario, I'm sure the interviewers won't pick up on it as much as you do yourself.

Thanks. Is your voice broken or sound a bit abnormal in any way? Mine sounds broken at times and for a teacher, communication is a key.
Is your voice broken or sound a bit abnormal in any way? Mine is quite nitric rabble at times and for a teacher, communication is a key.

Its not broken when I speak normally. However, when I talk in front of people it isn't very clear. I know its a confidence issue so it's something I'm trying to work on.
I looked for a lot of advice on it before my interviews and to sum it up I was basically told to take control.

I've had teachers before who haven't had the clearest of voices but that doesn't stop communication all together.
Original post by lucyhol1012
Its not broken when I speak normally. However, when I talk in front of people it isn't very clear. I know its a confidence issue so it's something I'm trying to work on.
I looked for a lot of advice on it before my interviews and to sum it up I was basically told to take control.

I've had teachers before who haven't had the clearest of voices but that doesn't stop communication all together.

Hmm, I see what you're saying and it's very reassuring. I guess as long as they understand what I'm saying and see that I'm confident at it, I'll be okay. I so hope so - this has long been a dream of mine.
Reply 2186
hey guys,

i just wondered if anyone knows, if you have had an interview for your first choice, can you also get an interview decision for your second choice, or do you have to wait until the 1st has made a decision whether you're conditional or unsuccessful?

Thanks,

Kate xxx
Original post by 321kate
hey guys,

i just wondered if anyone knows, if you have had an interview for your first choice, can you also get an interview decision for your second choice, or do you have to wait until the 1st has made a decision whether you're conditional or unsuccessful?

Thanks,

Kate xxx

I think you have to wait for the first. Once you've replied to their offer or been rejected and GTTR is aware they take the appropriate action.
anyone got any advice on getting primary schools to let you observe? I still havent managed to get any and i have to secure some within the next week or so or my uni choice will reject me. I havent rang any yet but im the type of person that is rubbish at phoning, i would rather it be in text form like an email or letter, that way i would get my point across easier but i dont think schools check their emails, or pass it on to the head.

This is really frustrating me, is there a way to get the headteachers email instead of the reception one
Original post by london_toon
anyone got any advice on getting primary schools to let you observe? I still havent managed to get any and i have to secure some within the next week or so or my uni choice will reject me. I havent rang any yet but im the type of person that is rubbish at phoning, i would rather it be in text form like an email or letter, that way i would get my point across easier but i dont think schools check their emails, or pass it on to the head.

This is really frustrating me, is there a way to get the headteachers email instead of the reception one

Have you had your interview? How comes they will reject you? If that's the case, get on the blower right away. Even if you're not a phone person, you have to get out of your comfort zone at times.

I'm still in search of a school placement and need it before interview. I was given a letter from my provider saying I've been invited to interview and told to give it to schools.
Have you had your interview? How comes they will reject you? If that's the case, get on the blower right away. Even if you're not a phone person, you have to get out of your comfort zone at times.

I'm still in search of a school placement and need it before interview. I was given a letter from my provider saying I've been invited to interview and told to give it to schools.

Thanks for the reply, i recieved an email the other day saying i need to email them back with the 'dates you were there/or have arranged to be there in the future, along with the name and address of the school ' or if i dont they will reject my application. I havent been given an interview yet.

Do you think i could print off this email and show it to schools, or should i just ring. What should i generally say when i ring them, i bet i'll end up confusing them but waffling :frown:
Thanks for the reply, i recieved an email the other day saying i need to email them back with the 'dates you were there/or have arranged to be there in the future, along with the name and address of the school ' or if i dont they will reject my application. I havent been given an interview yet.

Do you think i could print off this email and show it to schools, or should i just ring. What should i generally say when i ring them, i bet i'll end up confusing them but waffling :frown:

RING THEM! Honestly it's the best thing to do. Letters and emails are often disregarded in a busy school, and ringing them to speak directly to the correct person is so much easier. I feel your pain, I'm a rubbish phone person but I just had to get out of my comfort zone to get anywhere.

Perhaps write down what you need to say and then read it aloud whilst on the phone? At least then you have some sort of reference as to what you need to say.
Original post by outlaw-torn
RING THEM! Honestly it's the best thing to do. Letters and emails are often disregarded in a busy school, and ringing them to speak directly to the correct person is so much easier. I feel your pain, I'm a rubbish phone person but I just had to get out of my comfort zone to get anywhere.

Perhaps write down what you need to say and then read it aloud whilst on the phone? At least then you have some sort of reference as to what you need to say.

Thanks, I read your post and just plucked up the courage and to ring! I rang around 6 schools, few of them said no they do not do it or not sure. And others said to put it in writing or ring back tomorrow. Hopefully i can ring tomorrow and get something.
Reply 2193
Thanks, I read your post and just plucked up the courage and to ring! I rang around 6 schools, few of them said no they do not do it or not sure. And others said to put it in writing or ring back tomorrow. Hopefully i can ring tomorrow and get something.

Whereabouts are you trying?

I would write them letters and hand deliver them. Make sure you know the name of the headteacher, and address it to them. Also, I would avoid saying you want to 'observe' as most schools want someone who will get involved and help. Tell them your experiences with children, and be enthusiastic about listening to the children read etc. Find something you can offer them!

I know a couple of teachers who get loads of requests and delete the emailed ones straight away.

I hope you find a place. Have you been CRB checked? Most schools won't let you in unless you have.
I have an offer from York!!!! For secondary maths, conditional on getting a 2.2. Aaahhhh I'm so happy right now!!! :biggrin:
Finally got my 'official' offer, just need to pass for Bath Uni Secondary English Postgradute. Over the moon that all the stress and hard work has got me here!
Original post by outlaw-torn

I had a similar problem, go in and see them with a letter ! I went into 6 schools doing this and managed to get in 2 good luck xx
Reply 2197
Hmm, I see what you're saying and it's very reassuring. I guess as long as they understand what I'm saying and see that I'm confident at it, I'll be okay. I so hope so - this has long been a dream of mine.

I've had teachers with speech impediments, don't let it undermine your confidence.

@london_toon I agree with the others, you need to get on the phone.

Just doing my second week observing now, in a private school, I can't believe the difference in behaviour. Just waiting for my personal statement to be checked and then I'm sending it in!
Reply 2198
Hey I have sent in my application 27 days ago and still under consideration.
Is it okay to email the institution to ask what the hold up is or should I wait it out?
Reply 2199
Original post by youwish
Hey I have sent in my application 27 days ago and still under consideration.
Is it okay to email the institution to ask what the hold up is or should I wait it out?

I think they have 28 days so if you haven't heard by tomorrow I'd ring them x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending