The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Best Halls in Bristol?

Just wandering what anyone's opinion was of the best hall are at Bristol. Regardless of the price,
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also when can you put in your accommodation choices? thanks
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by jameson0003
Just wandering what anyone's opinion was of the best hall are at Bristol. Regardless of the price,
Thanks

Just be aware that if you ask for 'best' all you are going to get are people's personal opinions because there is no particular single version of 'best' when it comes to where you live.

Bristol Uni is very fortunate to have a very wide range of accommodation options to suit all sorts of tastes, preferences and pockets. It has the student area in Stoke Bishop where a lot of Halls of Residence are close together, giving a sense of a hall community and a student community which many people will like, but others might feel is claustrophobic and too far from town. The Unite accommodation in town has less of a community feel (although the Uni are working to provide more social, communal space) but is right in the middle of a vibrant, buzzing city. And then there is always the private market in various areas of town that offers independent living in a range of different neighbourhoods.
Reply 3
Thanks for the response, I guess what I am after is people's opinion then either who are at the uni or know people there ect.

I think I would go for the conventional university hall, so I guess I would be looking at Stoke Bishop then?
Reply 4
Hi! I went to Churchill Hall a few years ago, it's a good hall but is divided into two main parts - 'new' and 'old' block, the rooms in the former being considerably smaller than in 'old', but the rooms in the latter being a little more basic. Facilities are pretty good and you have meals included in the price. I had a mixed experience there but did meet my best friends :smile: It's all down to individual experience - what corridor/flat you're placed in and how sociable etc you are! Churchill has a good bar which is really popular and always had really fun events.

However, time and time again, Badock Hall wins as people's favourite hall (I'm going by you mentioning you want a conventional hall). Everyone I know who went there had an amazing time (it's in Stoke Bishop too, by the way) and loved it.

Wills Hall is beautiful (SB again) and had/has a really tight community and the rooms/facilities are really good. Difficult to get into though as it's so popular, Wills' residents would joke that you needed a 'talent' to be accepted!!

Goldney Hall (not in SB) is amazing too and has a wonderful summer ball. Friends I had there had brilliant times.

Hiatt Baker and Uni Hall also had great reps. too, Durdam not so much, but I didn't have any friends there so can't really comment.

I would recommend Stoke Bishop for conventional uni experience (people more near the University mentioned that they had wished they had applied for SB halls), but think that you should try and visit a few you like the look of before applying.

That's just my opinion and stuff I've heard, but I'm sure you'll have a great time anywhere you go! Enjoy Bristol!
Reply 5
I was in Winkworth House and I loved it, brilliant location. Heard they have a new nicer version called like Colston Hill or something now though.

Basically I am saying 'student houses' (hardly houses, they're like 100+ people!) can be brilliant.

If I was to go catered I would roll with Hiatt Baker probably.
Reply 6
Thanks for the response, I guess what I am after is people's opinion then either who are at the uni or know people there ect.

I think I would go for the conventional university hall, so I guess I would be looking at Stoke Bishop then?

Catered or non catered? Do you mind if it is mainly posher people? Do you want a good social life or study environment?

See my post above for my personal opinion, but I would be able to guide you better if I knew what you were looking for!
Original post by redferry
Catered or non catered? Do you mind if it is mainly posher people? Do you want a good social life or study environment?

See my post above for my personal opinion, but I would be able to guide you better if I knew what you were looking for!

To be frank, I cannot see the point in being catered unless you study something really time-consuming. You still have to prepare lunch during work days and cook dinner in weekends, moreover you can't be sure the food provided will appeal to you. But it's my opinion, of course, I just cannot understand why so many people demand on catering.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone for their opinions.

I am thinking catered and definitely in stoke bishop. I like the looks of Wills, but have been put off slightly because everyone says its over 'posh' and the people dont realise socials much. So my preferred two at the minute are Badock and Stoke Bishop. Any opinions on these two? or better options? also is it true about Wills?

Cheers
Reply 9
wandering

Come on mate, you shame the rest of us Bristolians
Anything towards the Clifton end, its a little pricier but the area is so nice to live in especially for someone like me who likes independent stores - better food company is lovely, and cute cafes like caffe clifton (http://www.caffeclifton.co.uk) and the everything-in-one store rise records.

Sorry I couldn't specifically name halls, I just moved into the area for my second year house and I wish I had been around this end during first year!
Here is my opinion:

Everyone in stoke bishop is jealous of the city centre/clifton halls people because they can go home in between lectures etc and wake up literally half an hour before their lectures whereas in stoke bishop they have to catch a bus or take a long walk. That said, if you want a catered hall then SB is obviously the best place for that. Also it's much easier to go clubbing if you live in the city centre/clifton because you dont have to get taxis etc but if you are in SB, sharing a taxi wont be too expensive. Self catered is really good, its easier as you can eat when/what you want and its easier if you're going out or going to societies. People say that catered is more sociable but I don't think that's necessarily true, city centre halls arrange so many events etc that it is just as sociable. Try to avoid UNITE!! It is true that Wills is quite rah/posh but that doesnt mean they arent fun and lovely people so don't be put off by that :smile: Hope this helps..
It depends what you are looking for. Although this involves generalisations, I'll do it in a 'The best hall for X is Y' format:
For beautiful building/location: Goldney
For social reasons: Hiatt Baker
For Stoke Bishop self-catered: Durdham
For quieter people: Durdham
For people who want to get involved: Wills (has a very good JCR).
Thanks everyone for their opinions.

I am thinking catered and definitely in stoke bishop. I like the looks of Wills, but have been put off slightly because everyone says its over 'posh' and the people dont realise socials much. So my preferred two at the minute are Badock and Stoke Bishop. Any opinions on these two? or better options? also is it true about Wills?

Cheers

Pros of Badock: Cool relaxed people; fun people (a good hall for social people); it's catered; unlike the other stereo-typed Stoke Bishop halls, this is about as 'average' as you can get.
Cons of Badock: Basic facilities, room layouts are simple unlike many refurbished halls (Wills, Churchill etc.), being in Stoke Bishop it is far away...it's also the furtherst down the hill from the bus stop.

In Amazon style: Those who liked 'Badock' also liked: Hiatt Baker, Churchill, UNITE.

A couple of friends from Wills have summarised it like this: 33% normal fun people, 33% posh but great-to-get-on-with people, 33% a bit too rah. From my experiences it's true. If the posh thing is a big deal, I wouldn't apply.
Reply 14
Original post by himynameisjake
It depends what you are looking for. Although this involves generalisations, I'll do it in a 'The best hall for X is Y' format:
For beautiful building/location: Goldney
For social reasons: Hiatt Baker
For Stoke Bishop self-catered: Durdham UH
For quieter people: Durdham
For people who want to get involved: Wills (has a very good JCR) Hiatt Baker

I've edited it for you so it's accurate...

And the whole thing about Wills attracting posh people is BS. I've found far more public schooled rahs from Churchill and Badock than Wills, although it is true that Wills people get stereotyped as being posh.

As an ex-Wills resident, if I could choose again I would almost certainly choose Hiatt Baker. Biggest halls. Most variety of people. Catered. Great party atmosphere. Consistently great JCR year after year. A generally decent halls experience, comparable to lots of other unis (I don't think many halls can offer this last one as well as HB can).
Reply 15
Original post by himynameisjake
Pros of Badock: Cool relaxed people; fun people (a good hall for social people); it's catered; unlike the other stereo-typed Stoke Bishop halls, this is about as 'average' as you can get.
Cons of Badock: Basic facilities, room layouts are simple unlike many refurbished halls (Wills, Churchill etc.), being in Stoke Bishop it is far away...it's also the furtherst down the hill from the bus stop.

In Amazon style: Those who liked 'Badock' also liked: Hiatt Baker, Churchill, UNITE.

A couple of friends from Wills have summarised it like this: 33% normal fun people, 33% posh but great-to-get-on-with people, 33% a bit too rah. From my experiences it's true. If the posh thing is a big deal, I wouldn't apply.

Would probably agree with that last point, except maybe 50%/40%/10% split.
Original post by skotch
Would probably agree with that last point, except maybe 50%/40%/10% split.

Actually, in reterospect I imagine that's probably a much better percentage breakdown. I was probably being too simplistic in breaking it down neatly into thirds.
Reply 17
Original post by Undergrad2012
Here is my opinion:

Everyone in stoke bishop is jealous of the city centre/clifton halls people because they can go home in between lectures etc and wake up literally half an hour before their lectures whereas in stoke bishop they have to catch a bus or take a long walk. That said, if you want a catered hall then SB is obviously the best place for that. Also it's much easier to go clubbing if you live in the city centre/clifton because you dont have to get taxis etc but if you are in SB, sharing a taxi wont be too expensive. Self catered is really good, its easier as you can eat when/what you want and its easier if you're going out or going to societies. People say that catered is more sociable but I don't think that's necessarily true, city centre halls arrange so many events etc that it is just as sociable. Try to avoid UNITE!! It is true that Wills is quite rah/posh but that doesnt mean they arent fun and lovely people so don't be put off by that :smile: Hope this helps..

Why do you say avoid UNITE? I'm not a big partier or drinker, is it related to this?
Hi All!

If you're wanting to take a look at some really good halls have a look at College Green, we're really close to Bristol University and the city center is just around the corner. We'd love to have you come down for a viewing :smile:

http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/bristol/college-green

Have a great day!

Callum B :smile:
Original post by arkatie
Why do you say avoid UNITE? I'm not a big partier or drinker, is it related to this?

There are a few reasons to avoid UNITE, but it's mostly their management style that people disagree with. They often seem to take money from people's deposits unreasonably but you can always appeal these decisions.

There was often a feeling that being in a UNITE property you were excluded from a proper fresher experience but there is now the City Centre Living and City Centre Riverside JCRs which cover the majority of the city centre halls.

If you're not a big partier or drinker then you might want to look for halls with larger flats to increase your chances that you'll find someone like you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending