The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5280
I wanted to rep up Cinnie, but apparently I've already up-repped you too much recently.

Your last point to Riku was so tactfully, eloquently and deftly put.

To the last Anonymous poster on "a rant". I want to extent this question to you, and everyone else feeling remotely similar. You know when you go on one of those "I just need to yell out, not at anyone in particular, just... I need to get it out!" Rants?

Did you know that those rants are you... wanting to tell YOU something? The frustration builds when you know both the question and the answer to your own dilemmas and problems, but you almost blind yourself to both elements.

Next time you want to scream because you "don't know what to do", stop and think. You DO know what to do. You just refuse to accept what your mind already knows. :smile:
Original post by TotoMimo

To the last Anonymous poster on "a rant". I want to extent this question to you, and everyone else feeling remotely similar. You know when you go on one of those "I just need to yell out, not at anyone in particular, just... I need to get it out!" Rants?

Did you know that those rants are you... wanting to tell YOU something? The frustration builds when you know both the question and the answer to your own dilemmas and problems, but you almost blind yourself to both elements.

Next time you want to scream because you "don't know what to do", stop and think. You DO know what to do. You just refuse to accept what your mind already knows. :smile:

Haha, I'm always on a rant here.. which guys I do apologise for :redface:.

Spoiler

Reply 5282
Original post by Anonymous
Haha, I'm always on a rant here.. which guys I do apologise for :redface:.

Spoiler

The thing is, anon, it's a total lie! It's not making you live at all, it's slowly killing you. You can't just starve and expect to wake up one day skinny and happy. One day you might not wake up at all, and we really don't want that.

Be confused and angry about your life. If you need to loose weight (within the healthy range) then eat healthily, but using it as a coping mechanism is only getting you into trouble! I'm not saying you can just will yourself out of it, but you can recognise that it will never make you happy! You need to want things to get better!
Reply 5283
Original post by Riku
x

Your mother does not mind when you say no to cake! Stop feeling guilty :wink: :hugs:

I'm doing pretty well thank you.

Spoiler

:hugs:
Original post by Cinnie
The thing is, anon, it's a total lie! It's not making you live at all, it's slowly killing you. You can't just starve and expect to wake up one day skinny and happy. One day you might not wake up at all, and we really don't want that.

Be confused and angry about your life. If you need to loose weight (within the healthy range) then eat healthily, but using it as a coping mechanism is only getting you into trouble! I'm not saying you can just will yourself out of it, but you can recognise that it will never make you happy! You need to want things to get better!

Spoiler

Reply 5285

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 5286
There were some dark places visited by anon posters tonight, and I want to thank the regulars like Cinnie and Riku for being here to show the veteran reasoning.

Even if you don't think you're fully "recovered", the amount you two exhibit reason, empathy and logic is inspiring.

I think back on my darkest days. Where I wanted to be. Run parallels with people around you.

Do you want to be disgustingly emaciated? Is that your goal? Because you may already be there. To be the thinnest you can be is to be a skeleton; ie, a corpse. Well done- guess what, we ALL achieve that some day. One day we'll all be as thin as we can be, lying in a box in the ground.

For now, don't you want to be special? Different? There are no smart corpses. No funny corpses. No kind corpses.

There are endless skinny corpses. Xxx
Reply 5287
My nan said in front of me (to be fair she doesnt know about this) that she wishes she had an eating disorder because she is so fat! I nearly threw up right then and there. Her stupid diet is stressing me out. It's making things worse, because I already ate less than everyone else and now they are cutting down there portions I eat even less. They started exercising, I start doing even more.
Also I haven't been sleeping properly for ages and now im so tired and doing worse in all my subjects! I just want to sleep. Anyone got any ideas? I was considering sleeping pills but not sure I really want to be taking any more pills, and I don't really need another addiction right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
My brain needs to get its arse in gear and realise that I've lost over 50lbs since I was 18, so there is NO ****ing way I can look exactly the same.

Spoiler

Reply 5290

Spoiler

I felt exactly like this last week! Just try to think positively. Think of all the things you have to live for. It can't possibly get worse therefore it has to get better. It helped me to distract myself from the voice. Reading helps, there's something about fictional lives that helps you forget yours. I hope you feel better soon xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 05autyt
I felt exactly like this last week! Just try to think positively. Think of all the things you have to live for. It can't possibly get worse therefore it has to get better. It helped me to distract myself from the voice. Reading helps, there's something about fictional lives that helps you forget yours. I hope you feel better soon xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope your feeling better :smile:

I just ugh.. I can't do this anymore.. I just want it to stop, for everything to just shut the hell up :/.
Reply 5292
I hope your feeling better :smile:

I just ugh.. I can't do this anymore.. I just want it to stop, for everything to just shut the hell up :/.

I know ... I don't even know how to help because I can't even help myself at the min but I wish I could

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to come to this thread all the time for inspiration when I was having a rough time (never actually diagnosed) but struggled for many years. I thought I'd pop in to see how everyone is doing but there's so much negativity about, where's all the optimism gone? All the hope that things may eventually get better...get back to normal?? To all the individuals out there still struggling to battle through, it is possible, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm living proof of that!! Of course recovery is hard and slip ups are expected but too many of you are picking up on every little thing that goes wrong each day. Stop focussing on all the negatives and think about what you've achieved compared to where you used to be.

Never give up.
Original post by 05autyt
My nan said in front of me (to be fair she doesnt know about this) that she wishes she had an eating disorder because she is so fat! I nearly threw up right then and there. Her stupid diet is stressing me out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had the same problem. My nan is always dieting and encouraging my mum to do the same. That's fine for them, but she always wants to take me out to eat at restaurants. I love seeing her but ALL she ever talks about is how many calories is in everything. I can't relax.
Reply 5295
I used to come to this thread all the time for inspiration when I was having a rough time (never actually diagnosed) but struggled for many years. I thought I'd pop in to see how everyone is doing but there's so much negativity about, where's all the optimism gone? All the hope that things may eventually get better...get back to normal?? To all the individuals out there still struggling to battle through, it is possible, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm living proof of that!! Of course recovery is hard and slip ups are expected but too many of you are picking up on every little thing that goes wrong each day. Stop focussing on all the negatives and think about what you've achieved compared to where you used to be.

Never give up.

Thanks to this particular anonymous poster. Sometimes I feel it's only a select group of us trying to bolster the morale of the endless Anon-slaught!!

I don't mind at all, but occasionally it can seem like some sufferers refuse to listen to the words of reason that many posters speak here on TSR.

There are some smart recovered and recoverING people on this board, and you should really read their stories, influences, and truly absorb their wisdom. It has (and will continue to) really made a difference and made me a better man both inside and outside.

When you write nothing but extended "FML" posts, stop and think... "Is this REALLY helping me at all?" - is there nothing you can stop and consider? Logically quantify? WHY do you feel trapped?

Iike I said - you already know the answers. You just need someone on here to hold your hand when the room goes dark, but you have to walk towards that light on your own.

Never give up.

I totally agree. This thread goes through spells of being really helpful and motivating and optimistic, then every now and then it goes through patches where people post negatively (which I'd totally understand if they're having a rough spell and seeking someone who is thinking more logical at that time to help them out) but often it feels like they're not even looking for help, just venting without thought. It makes me feel super low when people are out-of-reach and seemingly helpless, just wish there was a magic spell I could cast to make everyone feel better/see straighter.

I don't think I'm the best person with words, so it's difficult at times to write the responses I want to that may be of any help to anyone. All I can say is we deserve more than this, all of us. As hard and as tough as the recovery process is, there really is an 'end of the tunnel' - if only we let ourselves reach it. Think of all the time we've wasted already in life, being second in demand of ourselves to this disorder. I have the bad day too, where I feel weight or baggage here and there that wasn't there before...well, of course it wasn't as I was deathly thin, unnaturally thin, so if there isn't stuff here now that wasn't there before I'd be knocking on deaths door! I just think of all the IMPORTANT stuff that has been added, with that tiny layer of healthy flesh too. Like social life, happiness, friends, freedom, dreams & aspirations, a future.
Reply 5297
I'm sorry if most of my posts in here have come off as solely negative. However before the medication, and perhaps most importantly, before I started eating more my mind was solely concentrated on the negatives :frown:. Now I feel happier than I have been in a long time, and am even starting to feel more energetic; and the dark thoughts seem to have completely vanished now that I'm eating more :smile:. It's weigh day tomorrow and for the very first time I hope that i haven't lost weight, and now I really want to recover and get my life back :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JLW95
I'm sorry if most of my posts in here have come off as solely negative. However before the medication, and perhaps most importantly, before I started eating more my mind was solely concentrated on the negatives :frown:. Now I feel happier than I have been in a long time, and am even starting to feel more energetic; and the dark thoughts seem to have completely vanished now that I'm eating more :smile:. It's weigh day tomorrow and for the very first time I hope that i haven't lost weight, and now I really want to recover and get my life back :smile:.

REP!

I wasn't specifically aiming my post at any particular people, I don't even focus on names when I read posts usually, as it doesn't matter who is posting; I care equally about everyone.

But it's great to hear such optimism!
Original post by JLW95

I agree with this.. sorry if I've been posting negative stuff/offended anyone (kinda guessed I'm something to do with this, since I have been posting rubbish **** lately).

So, in that case, I am leaving this thread to try and sort this **** out myself or something. I don't know.

Bye bye.

Quick Reply