The Student Room Group

Chrisateen's Blog - A Female aiming to Build Muscle

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tuesday was a legs day

Squats 60kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Calve Raises 24kg dumbells ( 3 x 10 reps )
Leg Curls 30kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Leg Press 140kg (3 x 10 reps)

Added 20kg to my leg press by mistake when I was only planning to add 10kg and only realised after the first set. Not sure if I would keep it as that for next time or if I should reduce the weights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chrisateen
Tuesday was a legs day

Calve Raises 24kg dumbells ( 3 x 10 reps )
Leg Press 140kg (3 x 10 reps)

Added 20kg to my leg press by mistake when I was only planning to add 10kg and only realised after the first set. Not sure if I would keep it as that for next time or if I should reduce the weights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You made the sets and reps so no need to reduce the weight...

If it was a real struggle then maybe only put on 5kg next time instead of another 10...
Reply 22
Original post by Motorbiker
You made the sets and reps so no need to reduce the weight...

If it was a real struggle then maybe only put on 5kg next time instead of another 10...

Ok I will do so. I was just worried that next time I might not be able to do it at the same weight but like you said if I made the reps before I should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok I will do so. I was just worried that next time I might not be able to do it at the same weight but like you said if I made the reps before I should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really admire what you're doing and would love to be at the stage you're at and be able to bulk, if you don't mind me asking a question do you think it's possible without barbells? I only have access to a few machines and dumbbells up to 20kg unfortunately. I'm doing okay at the moment but progress is slow, and I can't afford a better gym :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by twelvepenguinbugs
I really admire what you're doing and would love to be at the stage you're at and be able to bulk, if you don't mind me asking a question do you think it's possible without barbells? I only have access to a few machines and dumbbells up to 20kg unfortunately. I'm doing okay at the moment but progress is slow, and I can't afford a better gym :frown:

It's not impossible its just harder and you will get better results joining a decent gym with good weights equipment. Even if you use dumbells to do things like deadlifts, squats e.t.c you will quickly outgrow using 20kg dumbells and soon you will need to buy another set of dumbells. By the time you know it you will spend more money buying equipment than just joining the gym.

There are cheap gyms out there like puregym and thegymgroup which are between £10 - £25 a month. Can you not check and see if they have one near you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Thursday gym session was chest and shoulders and I did the following

Dips 8 reps then 6 reps
Bench Press 40kg ( 2 x 10 reps then 7 reps)
Shoulder Press 16kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Upright Rows 10kg dumbells ( 3 x 8 reps)
Did some abs work afterwards.

This session was a bit disappointing as usual. I think I just have to accept doing upper body is very hard and progress is going to be very slow compared to legs and back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Though I look much fatter if you compare how I look now with How I look when I was 12st before there is a huge difference in my body fat levels (well I hope there is a part of me just sees myself getting fatter :frown:)

Spoiler

My Goals

My main goal is to continue bulking till the end of February. I wanted to do it a bit longer before but unfortunately I have gained a lot more weight than I wanted within a short period of time but at the same time I don't want to start cutting to early and end up not giving myself enough time on the bulk to gain muscle. So therefore I may end up cutting a few weeks before the end of the transformation.

I would also like to improve my lifts (in particular being able to do more than 5 parallel grip pull ups) as well.

Gym Routine

I usually go four times a weeks and do the following each for 3 x 10 reps... (However I usually don't follow it to the later sometimes go three times a week and also don't do them in a specific order as I don't want to be too rigid with my workouts)

Legs:

* Squats
* Calve Raises
* Kettlebell Swings
* Leg Press
* Stiff Legged dumbell deadlift

Chest and Shoulders

* Bench Press
* Shoulder Press
* Upright Rows
* Dips (will no longer do this on chest days once I can do 10 in a row with good form)

Biceps, Triceps & Abs

* Bicep Curls
* Tricep Extensions
* Dips
* Pull Ups (will no longer do this on this day once I get good at it)
* Some ab work if I have time

Back

* Deadlifts
* Lat Pull Downs
* Pull Ups
* Barbell Rows
* (something else which I forgot the name of and will post the name of tomorrow)

Diet

Going to continue to eat 2400 calories for now track my food on myfitnesspal and revaluate if I gain too little or too much weight

Your happy with yourselfso do what you like :smile: but be careful as it get addictive x and rest as well from time to time
Reply 27
Today I did back

Parallel Pull Ups 4 reps then 2 x 3 reps
Deadlifts 70kg ( 2 x 10 reps ) 80kg 9 reps
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 55kg (3x10 reps)
Lat Pull Down 47lbs (3x10 reps)
High Rows 50kg ( 3 x 10 reps )

Really happy about the deadlifts and that I am now able to lift my current bodyweight for 9reps. Im hoping to be able to do it for 3 sets just before I start losing weight.

I then tried to lift 110kg for 1 rep and only managed to lift it off the ground but could pull myself to stand straight :colondollar:. I'll try again soon and see if I can do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today I did back

Parallel Pull Ups 4 reps then 2 x 3 reps
Deadlifts 70kg ( 2 x 10 reps ) 80kg 9 reps
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 55kg (3x10 reps)
Lat Pull Down 47lbs (3x10 reps)
High Rows 50kg ( 3 x 10 reps )

Really happy about the deadlifts and that I am now able to lift my current bodyweight for 9reps. Im hoping to be able to do it for 3 sets just before I start losing weight.

I then tried to lift 110kg for 1 rep and only managed to lift it off the ground but could pull myself to stand straight :colondollar:. I'll try again soon and see if I can do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why did you go 80*9 then to 110?

Why not go to 90 then 95 then 100? Or have i missed you doing these before?
It's not impossible its just harder and you will get better results joining a decent gym with good weights equipment. Even if you use dumbells to do things like deadlifts, squats e.t.c you will quickly outgrow using 20kg dumbells and soon you will need to buy another set of dumbells. By the time you know it you will spend more money buying equipment than just joining the gym.

There are cheap gyms out there like puregym and thegymgroup which are between £10 - £25 a month. Can you not check and see if they have one near you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, I've had a look and there are none in my home town or uni town. Although one of the websites said one is opening soon so fingers crossed. My uni gym is free and has everything except for barbells, and the cheapest gym I can get at home right now is £19 a month but it's similarly badly equipped!
When you first started properly lifting did you get a trainer to go through the exercises with you? I'd feel too intimidated to just walk over to the bench press and start on my own I'd likely injure/make a fool out of myself :tongue:
Reply 30
Why did you go 80*9 then to 110?

Why not go to 90 then 95 then 100? Or have i missed you doing these before?

A while ago I did a 1 rep max and managed to get to 105kg so I just thought I'll see if my one rep max has increased

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by twelvepenguinbugs
Thanks for the advice, I've had a look and there are none in my home town or uni town. Although one of the websites said one is opening soon so fingers crossed. My uni gym is free and has everything except for barbells, and the cheapest gym I can get at home right now is £19 a month but it's similarly badly equipped!
When you first started properly lifting did you get a trainer to go through the exercises with you? I'd feel too intimidated to just walk over to the bench press and start on my own I'd likely injure/make a fool out of myself :tongue:

There is lots of resources online which shows you how to lift so you don't need a personal trainer. Don't worry about lifting for the first time. Most people in the gym are too focused on what they are doing and after the first time you will feel more confident

Posted from TSR Mobile
A while ago I did a 1 rep max and managed to get to 105kg so I just thought I'll see if my one rep max has increased

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh, ok. Also, go for the 1rm before the sets. I find i can still do lots of reps after a 1rm but will fail if done sets before...
Reply 33
Ahhh, ok. Also, go for the 1rm before the sets. I find i can still do lots of reps after a 1rm but will fail if done sets before...

Your soo right I didn't think about that. Maybe the reason I wasn't able to stand straight was beacause I was already tired from doing 3 sets already

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just realised you now make the 3rd girl on TSR who is out-squatting me :colondollar:.

EDIT:
realised pretty much all the girls with blogs in the fitness section out squat me so that makes you more like the 5th/6th.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Sundays Session was Bicep and Tricep

Parallel Pull Ups 4 reps then 3 reps then 3 reps
Dips 9 reps then 7 reps then 6 reps
Tricep Extension 8kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Bicep Curls 16kg ( 3 x 10 reps )

Then I did some abs work which I totally hate doing for some reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by In One Ear
Just realised you now make the 3rd girl on TSR who is out-squatting me :colondollar:.

EDIT:
realised pretty much all the girls with blogs in the fitness section out squat me so that makes you more like the 5th/6th.

Don't worry about it I'm sure with a few months of lifting regularly you will be able to out-squat some of us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Wednesday was a leg day and I did the following

Leg Press 140kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Calve Raises 24kg (3 x 10 reps )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Thursday was a bicep and Tricep day and I did the following

Parallel Pull Ups 4 reps then 2 reps
Dips 3 x 6 reps
Bicep Curls 16kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Tricep Extension 8kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Then I did some abs work afterwards

When I did the extra 2 reps on the pull ups I pylled myself up and tried to hold it for as long as I can and then slowly move downwards. Hopefully by doing that it would help me to increase the amount of reps I do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wednesday was a leg day and I did the following

Leg Press 140kg ( 3 x 10 reps )
Calve Raises 24kg (3 x 10 reps )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why did you not increase the weight on Squats or leg press?

You made the reps last time so surely you should add weight?

Quick Reply

Latest