The Student Room Group

Help me please!

Hi.I am an international student and I am doing IGCSEs right now.
I have only about 5 months to prepare for all the IGCSEs so I decided to do only 6 subjects.

I was wondering if it will be a problem when I applied to the university? I know that they focus on A-levels but l still worried about not doing enough subjects.

Oh and the course and university I want to go to is Chemical Engineering,Imperial college.

Thank you in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Imperial will probably look at them, but so long as you get good grades in them you shouldn't be at a disadvantage at all. Good luck!
Reply 2
I believe 5A*-C i the least you can do to even consider imperial, regardless in the majority of gcses classes students take between 8-12 GCSE's, however it is quality not quantity. Anyways, for example if you want to study architecture, a gcse in art would be regarded as more work than say Geography. However Geography would be considered as harder to study to get the A*....
It depends what subjects you take, for chem enginerring I suggest:
Maths
Chemistry
English
Physics
(as a basic)

and perhaps a language or humanity as your others to show you have scope. (I do not think you can get anywhere if you do do not so Maths and English)x
They focus more on your A-Levels as that's what tells them more about your current way of working, they're not too bothered about GCSE's but still will look at them. Try to get an A* on most of them or minimum a B as that way you should be just be able to get in. I'm not sure why you're doing your GCSE's after your A-Levels though, but if you haven't done A-Levels yet I'm not sure why you should really be bothered about Universities yet.

Just make sure when you do your iGCSE's you have English and Maths as well as your Sciences so that you have you have enough to get in to most places as Lakesx said but that's still the bare minimum in comparison to what people leave with which is about 10-12 GCSE's.
Reply 4
Original post by Lakesx
I believe 5A*-C i the least you can do to even consider imperial, regardless in the majority of gcses classes students take between 8-12 GCSE's, however it is quality not quantity. Anyways, for example if you want to study architecture, a gcse in art would be regarded as more work than say Geography. However Geography would be considered as harder to study to get the A*....
It depends what subjects you take, for chem enginerring I suggest:
Maths
Chemistry
English
Physics
(as a basic)

and perhaps a language or humanity as your others to show you have scope. (I do not think you can get anywhere if you do do not so Maths and English)x

I'm doing
Math
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
English
and Economics
Do you think I'll be fine? Thank you for your reply though I really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Saranploy
I'm doing
Math
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
English
and Economics
Do you think I'll be fine? Thank you for your reply though I really appreciate it :smile:

why don't you try contacting the admissions department and ask them what they think about the situation. then you can make an informed decision?
I'm doing
Math
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
English
and Economics

That's fine and so long as you get A/A* on them you should be able to get into a good college and uni.
Reply 7
I'm doing
Math
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
English
and Economics

That sounds perfect, as economics balances both the essay writing subject and numerical side... and taking 3 sciences and maths is often a good step for science based subjects!

I am finishing my Gcses in English Lang & Lit, French, Geography, Art Design & Tech. and IGcses in maths and 3 sciences. I am also studying some languages out side of school. I hopeful will get the straight A * I was predicted. BTW I am going into the Architecture Path...

Good Luck in the future, I am sure you will do brilliantly in your GCSEs!

Oh, a final tip, my sister's friend applied to Imperial to read Medicine but was not accepted even though he got 4 A* in his A'levels( at a very poor secondary school), but was accepted the next year. This is because he did not show scope in the other aspects of his life for example extra-curricular and work experience...keep this in mind!
Reply 8
Original post by yellowcopter
That's fine and so long as you get A/A* on them you should be able to get into a good college and uni.

Reply 9
Original post by Lakesx
That sounds perfect, as economics balances both the essay writing subject and numerical side... and taking 3 sciences and maths is often a good step for science based subjects!

I am finishing my Gcses in English Lang & Lit, French, Geography, Art Design & Tech. and IGcses in maths and 3 sciences. I am also studying some languages out side of school. I hopeful will get the straight A * I was predicted. BTW I am going into the Architecture Path...

Oh, a final tip, my sister's friend applied to Imperial to read Medicine but was not accepted even though he got 4 A* in his A'levels( at a very poor secondary school), but was accepted the next year. This is because he did not show scope in the other aspects of his life for example extra-curricular and work experience...keep this in mind!

Thank you so much and good luck to you too!
Reply 10
Original post by windsurfingbob
why don't you try contacting the admissions department and ask them what they think about the situation. then you can make an informed decision?

Thank you for your advice.People from Imperial came to Thailand last week so I already asked them and they said it's fine.A-levels and your interest in that subject and course is more important. So I think I'll be fine.Thanks again though. ::smile:
Original post by Lakesx

It's funny because I also want to become an architect when I'm older and I'm doing the exact same GCSE's as you. :tongue: I'm going Lang & Lit, Sciences, Maths, Geography, Graphic Products (Technology) and Art with some other not so important subjects on the side such as ICT, Religious Studies Short Course, etc.
Reply 12
It's funny because I also want to become an architect when I'm older and I'm doing the exact same GCSE's as you. :tongue: I'm going Lang & Lit, Sciences, Maths, Geography, Graphic Products (Technology) and Art with some other not so important subjects on the side such as ICT, Religious Studies Short Course, etc.

Haha that is brilliant! Are you in your first or final year of GCSE's? I am in my final... What A levels are you taking?, I have to hand in my choices on friday! (well if you are in the UK, I am not sure how the other system's work abroad...)
Original post by Lakesx
Haha that is brilliant! Are you in your first or final year of GCSE's? I am in my final... What A levels are you taking?, I have to hand in my choices on friday! (well if you are in the UK, I am not sure how the other system's work abroad...)

I'm only in Year 10 and in my first year though haha, but yes I'm from the UK. :redface: I'm thinking however about choosing subjects at A-Level such as English Lang & Lit, Photography or Art, Graphic Design, Interior Design or Product Design (Architecture path) and Philosophy. But I've still got until the end of my GCSE's to decide what I like best. :smile:
Reply 14
I'm only in Year 10 and in my first year though haha, but yes I'm from the UK. :redface: I'm thinking however about choosing subjects at A-Level such as English Lang & Lit, Photography or Art, Graphic Design, Interior Design or Product Design (Architecture path) and Philosophy. But I've still got until the end of my GCSE's to decide what I like best. :smile:

Well I just handed in my choices today, I am doing: Art, Maths, Biology, Classical Civilization and an EPQ... I think good uni's prefer if you take a science or maths as it will provide a good foundation for what you will be doing at uni. Well good luck in your Gcses...:smile: How are you finding your GCSE's ? I suggest for architecture it is better if you don not take lots of coursework subjects ( I took 7 subjects), and now I am flooded with work...
Original post by Lakesx
Well I just handed in my choices today, I am doing: Art, Maths, Biology, Classical Civilization and an EPQ... I think good uni's prefer if you take a science or maths as it will provide a good foundation for what you will be doing at uni. Well good luck in your Gcses...:smile: How are you finding your GCSE's ? I suggest for architecture it is better if you don not take lots of coursework subjects ( I took 7 subjects), and now I am flooded with work...

They sound all sound pretty good. I would never choose Maths A-Level though, Maths is way too hard for me! I may choose Biology though, it's a really fun and interesting subject, or Chemistry. Physics is too hard for me though as you would expect from Maths. :tongue:

GCSEs are alright for me right now, Art is really annoying but I've managed to handle it now but still at a B grade however the rest such as English, RS I'm finding really easy, apparently I'm already at an A*! :biggrin:
Reply 16
They sound all sound pretty good. I would never choose Maths A-Level though, Maths is way too hard for me! I may choose Biology though, it's a really fun and interesting subject, or Chemistry. Physics is too hard for me though as you would expect from Maths. :tongue:

GCSEs are alright for me right now, Art is really annoying but I've managed to handle it now but still at a B grade however the rest such as English, RS I'm finding really easy, apparently I'm already at an A*! :biggrin:

Haha well I have a 97% average from my modules so far in Maths, I have one module left... hmm I am thinking of dropping it after As level , because I detest maths but my family are forcing me to take because I am relatively good at it.
Really try and push with art, I am at a A*, once you reach that level its really easy to maintain it... The sixth form I am going to is really competitive, and I received a Art Scholarship... so I do not have to pay fees of about £35,000! Also, art is really key to architecture, and if you are not finding it easy, you may find that because the degree which is so focused on art and drawing, may not be for you...
That is great with eng, what books are you studing? I looked at The Crucible, To kill a Mocking Bird, The Help, and for Shakespeare: Hamlet and Othello...
Original post by Lakesx
Haha well I have a 97% average from my modules so far in Maths, I have one module left... hmm I am thinking of dropping it after As level , because I detest maths but my family are forcing me to take because I am relatively good at it.
Really try and push with art, I am at a A*, once you reach that level its really easy to maintain it... The sixth form I am going to is really competitive, and I received a Art Scholarship... so I do not have to pay fees of about £35,000! Also, art is really key to architecture, and if you are not finding it easy, you may find that because the degree which is so focused on art and drawing, may not be for you...
That is great with eng, what books are you studing? I looked at The Crucible, To kill a Mocking Bird, The Help, and for Shakespeare: Hamlet and Othello...

Sorry for the late reply, and I'm currently doing Of Mice and Men next but haven't started it yet, we just finished Language. :smile:

Whilst architecture is a desire, I'm not that keen. Journalism, games design, photography are just some of the paths I could really get into. I'm not finding it awfully hard, it's just the drawing and creativity I lack, so yeah, I probably won't be getting into architecture in the future, but who knows! :tongue:

Being a B grade sucks, I hope I can get up to A* sometime soon! :frown:
Reply 18
Sorry for the late reply, and I'm currently doing Of Mice and Men next but haven't started it yet, we just finished Language. :smile:

Whilst architecture is a desire, I'm not that keen. Journalism, games design, photography are just some of the paths I could really get into. I'm not finding it awfully hard, it's just the drawing and creativity I lack, so yeah, I probably won't be getting into architecture in the future, but who knows! :tongue:

Being a B grade sucks, I hope I can get up to A* sometime soon! :frown:

thats okay, sound interesting... make sure you buy study guides for English, Phillips Allen is the best!
Hmm... well its good to keep your options open now so that you do not do that right at the last minute (something I think I will end up doing..) I am sure you can, I found looking at youtube videos of people drawing and art tutorials soo helpful because it was like having your own personal tutor teaching you for free! :biggrin:
I have just got my exam timetable, the benefit of having lots of coursework subjects is that I have only 13 exams... some of my friends have 20+.... how many subjects are you taking?
Original post by Lakesx
thats okay, sound interesting... make sure you buy study guides for English, Phillips Allen is the best!
Hmm... well its good to keep your options open now so that you do not do that right at the last minute (something I think I will end up doing..) I am sure you can, I found looking at youtube videos of people drawing and art tutorials soo helpful because it was like having your own personal tutor teaching you for free! :biggrin:
I have just got my exam timetable, the benefit of having lots of coursework subjects is that I have only 13 exams... some of my friends have 20+.... how many subjects are you taking?

I'm taking 10 subjects, however if I count up all the exams I'm taking because now their going Linear and they all have to be done in June/July, I'll be doing 14 exams all together at the end of Year 11. :eek: Not including Art or ICT as they are coursework only, unless you would count the Art exam as an exam but technically really it's controlled.

My teacher is alright at teaching us about techniques however now were doing sculpture I can't really go outside and do the work. :frown: Although YouTube videos will probably be really helpful for when I come to do drawings in my sketchbooks, so thanks for the idea. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest