Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Original post by Viceroy
It's clear that John's has the best crest :wink:

200px-Johns_coat_of_arms.png

Which is astonishingly similar to Christ's one... :confused:
Original post by Pandin
Which is astonishingly similar to Christ's one... :confused:

They're both the crest of Lady Margaret Beaufort, who founded them both.

Lord of the Flies
I am jealous of some of the other college crests. Pembroke's is hideous.

Who thought a couple of pigeons & a bunch of random rectangles would look nice?

Pigeons? They're called martlets. As is the Pembroke drinking society - don't call them pigeons if you value your liver...
I've done the whole crest competition thing with friends at college and Christ's (narrowly edging out John's for no reason other than the fact I'd rather be at Oxford) won:

Christs_shield.png

I hate my own college's (Tit Hall) crest, I find it so boring! I'm a Geographer, I'm not used to not having colours :tongue:
Original post by St. Brynjar
I've done the whole crest competition thing with friends at college and Christ's (narrowly edging out John's for no reason other than the fact I'd rather be at Oxford) won.

negative. see below.

133255_1599432510652_1381200144_31758968_1748361_o (1).jpeg
Bridge of Sighs

1490602327_b1661ac8b2.jpeg
Old Library

cambridge8.jpeg
Chapel (the Chapel Tower roof is the highest point in Cambridge -- Great view!)

stjohnscambnewcourt.jpeg
The Backs/New Court

tumblr_m7430i9iKH1ruihlko1_1280.jpg
Cripps Court

div-schl.jpeg
The Divinity School

Formal-Hall-2.jpeg
Hall

not pictured:
- amazing food in Hall
- funding for everything you want to do in life
- awesome accommodation
- bedders
- location by the river + our own punts
- sweet libraries (2 of them)
- amazing choir (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WnvuGgwfco) and the gents
- feasts, feasts, and more feasts + feasts for all occasions, even non-occasions like harry potter
- view from the top of the chapel tower
- professor boyde's social events (especially ghost stories)
- the beautiful SCR, which you can go into a few times each year
- the awesome SBR and SBR ents (same goes for the JCR, i'm sure)
- the Divinity School
- Master's Lodge lunch invitations
- Master's Lodge concerts
- the college gardens
- the fellows' garden (you can go into it during the may ball)
- the Master's Lodge garden
- excellent Buttery food
- the choir on Ascension Day
- awesome porters who will help you when your bike is stolen, locked to another bike, etc.
- surplus of nice fellows who will be friends with you and tell you awesome stories, let you use the university observatory, etc.
- gorgeous, well-kept grounds
- beautiful 16th c. Hall
- May Ball
- May Week fireworks more generally
- etc.... (under "etc" goes things like, the little vent in first court where they buried someone in the 17th c., the chapel window tour that prof boyde does every year, the 18th c. port they give you at SBR port-tasting, the gargoyles, the buttery staff who gave me a free pudding on several occasions, the truffles the catering staff makes for special dinners, the extra desserts the waiters give to students when they have extras (that also goes for extra veg, extra meat, extra anything-that's-left-over), the times when prof linehan does the grace all in one breath, the times when prof boyde does the grace in a beautiful italianate accent, the times when duncan does the grace in his booming chapel voice, how quiet the library is in the summer and how good the books smell and the sound of the chapel bells when i'm in there working, the days in easter term when the backs are open for us to play on, the view of the night sky from the big door on new court looking out over the backs, prof boyde's tour of the college portrait collection, out of term BA table in the palmerston room, the day when the gardeners plant the new flowers when it gets warm again and the college is all in bloom, the way the river looks from the bridge of sighs when it's pitch black out and all you can see are the stars reflecting on the water and the glint of the white swans silently floating beneath you, the peaceful walk on the path between trinity and the fellows' garden heading towards queen's road, the mint growing on the path leading up to new court and the time when an old fellow i didn't know saw me pluck some of it and took scissors out of his pocket and chopped some for me and brought me up to his set to make mint tea with it, the many late night wine and elderflower sessions in my supervisor's set, the many gatherings in other fellows' sets and their brilliant stories, the fact that winston churchill used the SCR for planning during the war and the stories some of the old fellows tell about those days, the times when you see a little old fellow scurry across the grass with a pint of milk to use in his tea during fellows' lunch...)

there are a million and a half things to love about john's :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
This is possibly the best "I love my college"-post ever :smile:
Original post by Viceroy
negative. see below.

Bridge of Sighs

Old Library

cambridge8.jpeg

stjohnscambnewcourt.jpeg
The Backs/New Court

Cripps Court

div-schl.jpeg
The Divinity School

Formal-Hall-2.jpeg
Hall

not pictured:
- amazing food in Hall
- awesome accommodation
- bedders
- feasts, feasts, and more feasts + feasts for all occasions, even non-occasions like harry potter
- the Divinity School
- the college gardens
- excellent Buttery food
- awesome porters who will help you when your bike is stolen, locked to another bike, etc.
- surplus of nice fellows who will be friends with you and tell you awesome stories, let you use the university observatory, etc.
- beautiful 16th c. Hall
- May Ball
- etc.... (under "etc" goes things like, the little vent in first court where they buried someone in the 17th c., the chapel window tour that prof boyde does every year, the 18th c. port they give you at SBR port-tasting, the gargoyles, the buttery staff who gave me a free pudding on several occasions, the truffles the catering staff makes for special dinners, the extra desserts the waiters give to students when they have extras (that also goes for extra veg, extra meat, extra anything-that's-left-over), the times when prof linehan does the grace all in one breath, the times when prof boyde does the grace in a beautiful italianate accent, the times when duncan does the grace in his booming chapel voice, how quiet the library is in the summer and how good the books smell and the sound of the chapel bells when i'm in there working, the days in easter term when the backs are open for us to play on, the view of the night sky from the big door on new court looking out over the backs, prof boyde's tour of the college portrait collection, out of term BA table in the palmerston room, the day when the gardeners plant the new flowers when it gets warm again and the college is all in bloom, the way the river looks from the bridge of sighs when it's pitch black out and all you can see are the stars reflecting on the water and the glint of the white swans silently floating beneath you, the peaceful walk on the path between trinity and the fellows' garden heading towards queen's road, the mint growing on the path leading up to new court and the time when an old fellow i didn't know saw me pluck some of it and took scissors out of his pocket and chopped some for me and brought me up to his set to make mint tea with it, the many late night wine and elderflower sessions in my supervisor's set, the many gatherings in other fellows' sets and their brilliant stories, the fact that winston churchill used the SCR for planning during the war and the stories some of the old fellows tell about those days, the times when you see a little old fellow scurry across the grass with a pint of milk to use in his tea during fellows' lunch...)

Original post by rain on dry ground
This is possibly the best "I love my college"-post ever :smile:

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Viceroy
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

If I hadn't applied to Jesus (because its the best college :wink:) I'd have applied to St Johns - I've got a friend there and its absolutely stunning!
Original post by Viceroy
negative. see below.

Bridge of Sighs

Old Library

cambridge8.jpeg

stjohnscambnewcourt.jpeg
The Backs/New Court

Cripps Court

div-schl.jpeg
The Divinity School

Formal-Hall-2.jpeg
Hall

not pictured:
- amazing food in Hall
- awesome accommodation
- bedders
- the Divinity School
- the college gardens
- excellent Buttery food
- beautiful 16th c. Hall
- May Ball

I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge next year and this post has made me wan to apply to St Johns :biggrin:
Original post by Viceroy
negative. see below.

Bridge of Sighs

Old Library

cambridge8.jpeg

stjohnscambnewcourt.jpeg
The Backs/New Court

Cripps Court

div-schl.jpeg
The Divinity School

Formal-Hall-2.jpeg
Hall

not pictured:
- amazing food in Hall
- awesome accommodation
- bedders
- the Divinity School
- the college gardens
- excellent Buttery food
- beautiful 16th c. Hall
- May Ball

Damn you - you've made my college envy even worse :ashamed2: :tongue:

To be honest I thought St.John's was the most atmospheric and nicest college I visited, but since the DoS for English was a bit intimidating I ended up applying elsewhere. I got pooled so none of it matters much, but I've already decided I'll be walking through St. John's whenever I'm going to town :tongue:
Reply 1689
Original post by Viceroy

PRSOM.

For those who don't know, the building out of sight behind the camera is an exquisite example of Cambridge architecture, but a photo would do absolutely no justice to its beauty so I'd suggest seeing it in person, but only after you've got in lest you fall in love with Cambridge even more after seeing it. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by und
PRSOM.

For those who don't know, the building out of sight behind the camera is an exquisite example of Cambridge architecture, but a photo would do absolutely no justice to its beauty so I'd suggest seeing it in person, but only after you've got in lest you fall in love with Cambridge even more after seeing it. :tongue:

Which building? Let's put up a picture of it, for the record :smile:
Reply 1691
Original post by Viceroy
Which building? Let's put up a picture of it, for the record :smile:

Ah, I should have stated which photo I was talking about. Cripps Court, clearly. :wink: As I said a photo cannot convey its beauty!
Original post by Ellie_Rosa
I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge next year and this post has made me wan to apply to St Johns :biggrin:

Original post by Brighter_Star
Damn you - you've made my college envy even worse :ashamed2: :tongue:

To be honest I thought St.John's was the most atmospheric and nicest college I visited, but since the DoS for English was a bit intimidating I ended up applying elsewhere. I got pooled so none of it matters much, but I've already decided I'll be walking through St. John's whenever I'm going to town :tongue:

Original post by und
PRSOM.

:smile: There are lots of things I could add to that post! You'll have a terrific time at your college, too - Make the most of every minute you have, and try to remember all the funny stories and idiosyncratic moments, as they'll be some of your fondest moments of Cambridge when you're all done! :smile:
Reply 1693
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Trinity College isn't an option on student finance? All the other colleges are there :/
Original post by ThatFrog
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Trinity College isn't an option on student finance? All the other colleges are there :/

Queens' also appears oddly absent...I'm afraid I'm not sure as to why though :s-smilie:
Reply 1695

Original post by DavidH20
Queens' also appears oddly absent...I'm afraid I'm not sure as to why though :s-smilie:

Churchill also.

I've applied for SFEngland with Imperial as my pick, since Churchill wasn't present and I thought if any difference at all, it might be easier to apply for London and have to change to elswhere, rather than the other way around (maintenance loan slightly higher for London).
Reply 1696

Hey king's wasn't there either but you can type it in manually if you click continue with it blank, then search C05 and then put my college isn't present. Then you just need the campus code and the address :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1697
Original post by Oboe1994
Hey king's wasn't there either but you can type it in manually if you click continue with it blank, then search C05 and then put my college isn't present. Then you just need the campus code and the address :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's interesting.

I wonder whether some Colleges haven't done whatever in order to appear on the list, or if perhaps if you were the first to apply you would see an empty list, and the list is user-generated?

Probably the former..
Reply 1698
Hi all

Does anyone know the deadline for sending the College Fee Form, especially for Jesus College?
Reply 1699
Original post by FO12DY
Ah that's interesting.

I wonder whether some Colleges haven't done whatever in order to appear on the list, or if perhaps if you were the first to apply you would see an empty list, and the list is user-generated?

Probably the former..

Ha yeah my mum was just super keen...

Latest