The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Finally saw Zero Dark Thirty. Really enjoyed it, lived up to expectations. Not everyones cup of tea, and if you knew a bit about Pakistan I'm guessing it would have been poor but you could probably say that about multiple film locations.
Reply 8361
Thoughts on Oliver Stone films? Have only seen Platoon (very good) and Alexander (very ****). Have ordered JFK and a few of his other films look interesting.
Reply 8362
Original post by Deshi
Thoughts on Oliver Stone films? Have only seen Platoon (very good) and Alexander (very ****). Have ordered JFK and a few of his other films look interesting.

I've seen JFK (very good, especially Gary Oldman) and Savages (very ****, especially that actress, whatever her name is). In my opinion, of course. :h: I might have seen something else, that I'm forgetting. :colondollar:

Oh yeah, Wall Street, of course. :lol: Which was all-right-ish, not really fantastic. Michael Douglas and Martin Sheen are great in it, though. :yep:
Original post by Deshi

Original post by Abiraleft
I've seen JFK (very good, especially Gary Oldman) and Savages (very ****, especially that actress, whatever her name is).

Yeah, JFK was pretty good. I liked both Costner's and Oldman's performance, and it was a treat to see an older Lemmon on film!

Every time someone mentions that film, Savages, I immediately think of the film with Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Savages- which was brilliant. Damn it!

Does it irk anyone else when television programs, crappy remakes, or low-budget modern films bear the name of a celebrated classic? White Heat, The Barefoot Contessa, Notorious, et al. That's really annoying.

Oh yeah, Wall Street, of course. :lol: Which was all-right-ish, not really fantastic. Michael Douglas and Martin Sheen are great in it, though. :yep:

Wall Street should be celebrated for the "Who am I?" scene. Got to be the most unintentionally hilarious moment in any film for me.

Of all the "bright eyed newbie joins an industry only to have his morals beat out of him to become the successful **** he used to despise, before realising he has become a monster and uses his new found knowledge to bring down the corporation even though it will inevitably destroy his hard won success" films out there, Swimming with Sharks is my favourite.

I wonder what film was the first to use that storyline... Was it Wall Street? Wall Street is so clichéd today as to be a cookie cutter film, but if Wall Street started the cliche then I guess I should respect it a little more.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've seen JFK (very good, especially Gary Oldman)

Original post by philistine
Yeah, JFK was pretty good. I liked both Costner's and Oldman's performance, and it was a treat to see an older Lemmon on film!

JFK is very good (purely as a piece of cinema). Well acted and well directed. The problem is the plot is based on complete nonsense conspiracy theory (a book by Jim Garrison; which has since been widely discredited). But Oliver Stone, bless him, is a sucker for that kind of thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Really enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph.
Reply 8367
Original post by Deshi
Really enjoyed Argo, how did Affleck not get a Best Director nod for the Oscars!?

I really enjoyed Argo too, it was really full of suspense. I don't know why he got snubbed for best director. I was actually quite proud of Affleck after watching Argo.
Reply 8368
[video="youtube;p1QgNF6J1h0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1QgNF6J1h0[/video]

Absolutely buzzing for this, the last one was probably the best in the entire series :coma:
Reply 8369
Original post by Deshi
[video="youtube;p1QgNF6J1h0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1QgNF6J1h0[/video]

Absolutely buzzing for this, the last one was probably the best in the entire series :coma:

Some of it filmed in Liverpool outside my work :mmm:
Reply 8370
Original post by Mess.

It looks like quite a lot of the film was filmed in the UK :beard:
Reply 8371
Original post by Deshi
It looks like quite a lot of the film was filmed in the UK :beard:

The part with the police car is Liverpool I think. We had loads of them parked in our car park anyway.

Jack Ryan was filmed there just after as well.
Get in Quentin and Christoph.
Original post by Mess.

Filming in Liverpool? Man, Hollywood are desperate.
Reply 8374
Just back from Hitchcock. Terribly cliché but an enjoyable watch nonetheless.
Reply 8375
Just back from Cloud Atlas, loved it! :biggrin:
Original post by Revent

:five: One of the most ambitious films I have watched. It was very divisive critically but I'm certain that the fondness for the film will grow over the next few years.

It was only on my second watch that I noticed just how well the scenes were edited together. They complimented each other in a seamless flow (like a character closing the door in one scene and opening a door in the next one). And the soundtrack was pretty fantastic too.
Reply 8377
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
:five: One of the most ambitious films I have watched. It was very divisive critically but I'm certain that the fondness for the film will grow over the next few years.

It was only on my second watch that I noticed just how well the scenes were edited together. They complimented each other in a seamless flow (like a character closing the door in one scene and opening a door in the next one). And the soundtrack was pretty fantastic too.

Yes, definitely! Oh, I noticed the flow and it was probably one of my favourite things of the film! I have to say though, the accent in the last future story was a bit off putting and very difficult to understand!

I might actually go to the cinema again to watch it :tongue: Love having a friend on Sky for the free tickets :giggle:
Original post by Revent

Hmm, will watch.
Original post by lukejoshjedi
first post, daaaamnit -_-

on a completely random note, I wonder why Frodo and his ragtag fellowship just fly on the giant eagles straight to Mount doom and drop the ring in the volcano like that, cut out the Two Towers and ROTK

How it should have ended...

You have no power here!

Quick Reply

Latest