The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway - Psychology

Can anyone from current students at RHUL tell me what is it really like to study
Psychology
there and what is the reputation of RHUL? I've received an offer from RHUL and planning to make it as my first choice :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dorinka
Can anyone from current students at RHUL tell me what is it really like to study
Psychology
there and what is the reputation of RHUL? I've received an offer from RHUL and planning to make it as my first choice :biggrin:

It's a fantastic department. :biggrin: Really good reputation, top 10 in both of the main university league tables this year, which is really impressive.

So you'd be right to make it your first choice, haha!

If you have any more specific questions let me know, and I'd be happy to answer.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for your answer :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by llacerta
It's a fantastic department. :biggrin: Really good reputation, top 10 in both of the main university league tables this year, which is really impressive.

So you'd be right to make it your first choice, haha!

If you have any more specific questions let me know, and I'd be happy to answer.

What is the actual atmosphere like ?? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AyatNasir
What is the actual atmosphere like ?? :smile:

Err, of the university? Or of the department?

I know I'm not the OP but can you tell me what the atmosphere of the uni is like?
Reply 6
Original post by lovelybonesthe
I know I'm not the OP but can you tell me what the atmosphere of the uni is like?

That's a pretty tricky question and one that's very difficult to answer subjectively. From my experience it's homely, safe, cosy, familiar, pretty, friendly...Even the first time I came to visit I felt at ease. It's just somewhere I've always felt comfortable. The vast majority of people I've met here are incredibly friendly- you get this sort of 'big family' vibe because of the small campus- and I think it's a great place to go if you're leaving home for the first time.

However, although most students here are very happy, some would describe the atmosphere as claustrophobic, boring, maybe even depressing. Royal Holloway is not everyone's cup of tea so it really depends on what you're like and what you're looking for from a university.
Reply 7
I Haven't Applied To The University As I Dont Have A B In Maths GCSE Supppse I Get The Grades They Are Asking You, Do You Think They Will Let Me Off With My C In Maths? I Have My Heart Set On The University

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

The university :smile:
Reply 9
The university :smile:

I've written an answer a few posts above- sorry for not quoting you! Didn't realise two different people had asked, haha.
Reply 10
I've written an answer a few posts above- sorry for not quoting you! Didn't realise two different people had asked, haha.

Haha it's fine!
But one more question and this may seem very weird but how ethnically diverse is royal holloway? I don't mean break it down as in what ethnicities, but is it quite a diverse university like say for example some of the universities in central london like SOAS for instance or UCL, or is it not ethnically diverse as some other unis which are in London or around London ? :smile:
Reply 11
Haha it's fine!
But one more question and this may seem very weird but how ethnically diverse is royal holloway? I don't mean break it down as in what ethnicities, but is it quite a diverse university like say for example some of the universities in central london like SOAS for instance or UCL, or is it not ethnically diverse as some other unis which are in London or around London ? :smile:

I haven't actually been to visit many London universities unfortunately, so I've no idea how ethically diverse they are, but I'd say RHUL is probably less ethically diverse in comparison (at a guess, anyway). Most people here are white. That isn't to say there isn't any diversity at all- there's loads; I have friends from all over the world, from many different cultural and religious backgrounds, and they all love it here- but it is a white majority university. There are societies for pretty much every faith and cultural background though, so if you were keen to meet other people 'like you' then there's certainly the opportunity to do so. There's very little, if any, discrimination here though so people just tend to be friends with people they like regardless of their background (though some of the international students do seem to stick together, but that's the exception rather than the rule).
Reply 12
I haven't actually been to visit many London universities unfortunately, so I've no idea how ethically diverse they are, but I'd say RHUL is probably less ethically diverse in comparison (at a guess, anyway). Most people here are white. That isn't to say there isn't any diversity at all- there's loads; I have friends from all over the world, from many different cultural and religious backgrounds, and they all love it here- but it is a white majority university. There are societies for pretty much every faith and cultural background though, so if you were keen to meet other people 'like you' then there's certainly the opportunity to do so. There's very little, if any, discrimination here though so people just tend to be friends with people they like regardless of their background (though some of the international students do seem to stick together, but that's the exception rather than the rule).

I doubt very so that there will be discrimination but it's just something that crossed my mind, thank you however for your honesty and time! :smile:
Reply 13
Hi,

I can't decide whether to firm RHUL or York for BSc Psychology :frown:

Can anyone advise me on how I should compare and eventually make an informed decision?

Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by shuuuuu
Hi,

I can't decide whether to firm RHUL or York for BSc Psychology :frown:

Can anyone advise me on how I should compare and eventually make an informed decision?

Thanks so much :smile:

Hmm, that's a tough one- they're both great departments and very similar in ranking and prestige so on that count either way you're good. It might be worth looking at the individual modules, especially third year options, to see if one of them offers more modules to your liking. Similarly, I know it's early days but if you're possibly thinking of a career in academia, look at the research areas of each department.

If you can't decide that way, then it's probably worth looking at other factors. Although Royal Holloway is comparable to York in terms of its psychology department, York is a more prestigious university as a whole. It's also worth considering where you'd prefer to live: both are campus universities, although Royal Holloway is smaller and more picturesque. Neither of them are inner city, but York is (obviously) close to York, whilst Royal Holloway has London and a few other closer places but it's still a five minute train journey to the closest shopping centre.

So although I can't tell you where to go, I hope this has given you a better idea in terms of what factors to consider. I'm obviously a student at Holloway and love it here but I applied to York for both undergraduate and postgraduate because they really do have a great department, so either way you will be going to a fantastic university and department.
Reply 15
I see someone else is in the same situation..decisions, decision! I have RHUL, Surrey and York as offers.. while York does rank higher, I'm going with my gut feel and will put RHUL as my firm choice. Thanks Ilacerta for your feedback in my previous post asking about RHUL vs Surrey!
I'm planning to visit after my IB exams in May to look at the accommodation. Let me know what you decide!
^Speaking of accommodation, which hall of residence would you recommend to a new undergraduate... I initially thought I'd like Kingswood II because it was surrounded by greenland which seemed so picturesque but after reading around, I've gathered that it was quite unsociable. Any suggestions on which accommodation to choose?
Reply 17
Original post by lovelybonesthe
^Speaking of accommodation, which hall of residence would you recommend to a new undergraduate... I initially thought I'd like Kingswood II because it was surrounded by greenland which seemed so picturesque but after reading around, I've gathered that it was quite unsociable. Any suggestions on which accommodation to choose?

Kingswood is not unsociable- in fact, a lot of students who live there often talk about the nice community feeling it has. Rather, the main issue is that it's inconvenient as it's off campus. I'd personally recommend on campus accommodation for the convenience more than anything.
Reply 18
Hii guys, I applied for BSc Psychology at Royal Holloway and I was so happy to get an offer, its definitely my first choice uni. But I think I made a mistake of not applying for BSc Psychology, Clinical and Cognitive Neuroscience mainly cause I thought you needed Biology A-level. When I went to the UCAS day someone from the admissions team told me there's some mobility in the first month(s) if you want to switch the degree course. Now I'm really stuck. I'm doing some research and I think my interest lies on the biological side of Psychology but I can't tell for sure. I just don't want to go for the Neuroscience degree and then regret it whereas with Psychology I could specialize later on if after the degree I'm sure of my interest in Neuroscience. Anyone has any comments that could help me with this decision? :smile: Many thanks xx
Reply 19
Hmm, that's a tough one- they're both great departments and very similar in ranking and prestige so on that count either way you're good. It might be worth looking at the individual modules, especially third year options, to see if one of them offers more modules to your liking. Similarly, I know it's early days but if you're possibly thinking of a career in academia, look at the research areas of each department.

If you can't decide that way, then it's probably worth looking at other factors. Although Royal Holloway is comparable to York in terms of its psychology department, York is a more prestigious university as a whole. It's also worth considering where you'd prefer to live: both are campus universities, although Royal Holloway is smaller and more picturesque. Neither of them are inner city, but York is (obviously) close to York, whilst Royal Holloway has London and a few other closer places but it's still a five minute train journey to the closest shopping centre.

So although I can't tell you where to go, I hope this has given you a better idea in terms of what factors to consider. I'm obviously a student at Holloway and love it here but I applied to York for both undergraduate and postgraduate because they really do have a great department, so either way you will be going to a fantastic university and department.

Hi llacerta,

Thanks alot for your advice!

Are you a Psychology undergraduate at RHUL? Could you share with me what studying there is like for you?

Also, are the research facilities at RHUL accessible to psych undergrad students at RHUL?

Thankyou (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending