The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Authority_Song
Belichick and Pats PR wouldn't let him I imagine. There's probably clauses in his contract preventing him from appearing/performing professionally (depending on how the film is made, it would likely be deemed professional) without the teams permission.

Hopefully so, he needs to tone it down a little bit. Act a little more like Hernandez who seems to have matured.
Original post by Malevolent
Hopefully so, he needs to tone it down a little bit. Act a little more like Hernandez who seems to have matured.

Agreed. Far more worried about his injury history though. This was an issue coming out or Arizona which is why he fell to the second. Hopefully he shakes it.
His thing in college with Arizona wasnt that spinal stenosis?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
His thing in college with Arizona wasnt that spinal stenosis?

There seems to be murmurs that it wasn't actually that, but either way I was more worried about "spinal/back trouble" than I was the gritty details. It's a high impact position, so lower back weakness could be very serious. Fingers crossed he's over it.
There seems to be murmurs that it wasn't actually that, but either way I was more worried about "spinal/back trouble" than I was the gritty details. It's a high impact position, so lower back weakness could be very serious. Fingers crossed he's over it.

Who do you think the Patriots should target in Free Agency and the Draft? Which of Talib, Vollmer or Welker should be resigned/franchise tagged?
Who do you think the Patriots should target in Free Agency and the Draft? Which of Talib, Vollmer or Welker should be resigned/franchise tagged?

I don't pay any attention to the draft until the combine is done, and even then I'm not hugely up on it. I usually end up with a few positions, and a few players within those positions I would like to take high, and then a sleeper/late-rounder I would like to see us take too.

I would take Tyrann Mathieu (CB) as a late pick. Another troubled guy, just like Alfonzo Dennard who could cover slot, possibly also possessing talent as a #2 corner.

As for high picks - the best corner or wide receiver we can get.

Free Agency - I'm a firm believe in keeping you're core intact rather than going for new pieces and hoping they fit. Case in point - Philadelphia. Superbowl Champions of the off-season - regular seasons faqilures. They weren't even average because the pieces didn't fit. I would much rather resign Welker (who is so important to this offense it's untrue), Vollmer (one of the best RTs in the league) and Talib (became our best corner within weeks). Talib gets the tag though, we need a long-term deal with Wes.

If I'm picking up players then I look here...

Henry Melton. Disruptive defensive tackle to go alongside Vince. We have our star, and we have numbers, but quality depth is an issue.

Ed Reed. (Yum)

If no Welker, look into Danny Amendola.

Watch out for Nhamdi Asomugha being released.

Chris Canty possibly.

Marcus Trufant/Dashon Goldson at CB if they don't get new deals.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't pay any attention to the draft until the combine is done, and even then I'm not hugely up on it. I usually end up with a few positions, and a few players within those positions I would like to take high, and then a sleeper/late-rounder I would like to see us take too.

I would take Tyrann Mathieu (CB) as a late pick. Another troubled guy, just like Alfonzo Dennard who could cover slot, possibly also possessing talent as a #2 corner.

As for high picks - the best corner or wide receiver we can get.

Free Agency - I'm a firm believe in keeping you're core intact rather than going for new pieces and hoping they fit. Case in point - Philadelphia. Superbowl Champions of the off-season - regular seasons faqilures. They weren't even average because the pieces didn't fit. I would much rather resign Welker (who is so important to this offense it's untrue), Vollmer (one of the best RTs in the league) and Talib (became our best corner within weeks). Talib gets the tag though, we need a long-term deal with Wes.

If I'm picking up players then I look here...

Henry Melton. Disruptive defensive tackle to go alongside Vince. We have our star, and we have numbers, but quality depth is an issue.

Ed Reed. (Yum)

If no Welker, look into Danny Amendola.

Watch out for Nhamdi Asomugha being released.

Chris Canty possibly.

Marcus Trufant/Dashon Goldson at CB if they don't get new deals.

Dunno about Tyrann Mathieu dude is flat out naughty, struggles in coverage and is small. Yet he forces so many turnovers and could be a real good special teams player. Definitely a nickel corner.

Quite a few intriguing WR available till about the third. Safety wise after Kenny Valcaro and Elam there's a drop off i think.

I agree we won't be able to spend that much unless Wilfork, Mankins restructures or Brady extension whilst restructuring, It would really help if he had two more years then spread out the remaining 40 million over 4 years. If the Patriots did that we could get a few nice pieces. However most of it will be snapped up into either Vollmer ( think we franchise), Talib 1 year offer take it or leave it. Welker 2 year 12 million which i really hope he takes it but meh doubt it.

Amendola reminds me of Edelman both can't stay healthy.

Henry Melton would be amazing but i think the bears will definitely resign him.

Ed Reed I'm not sure about could help to have two Free safeties in him and McCourty cover the tight ends due to our terrible LB coverage.

I would take Asomugha in a heartbeat but does he ask for a big contract?
I'm curious, how does someone who is bad in coverage generate a lot of turnovers?
You can still tackle but he blows his assignments a lot.

I don't think anyone should draft a defensive back based on fumble forceablility.
He could be a good special teamer but its really not much going for him.

Dunno about Tyrann Mathieu dude is flat out naughty, struggles in coverage and is small. Yet he forces so many turnovers and could be a real good special teams player. Definitely a nickel corner.

Quite a few intriguing WR available till about the third. Safety wise after Kenny Valcaro and Elam there's a drop off i think.

I agree we won't be able to spend that much unless Wilfork, Mankins restructures or Brady extension whilst restructuring, It would really help if he had two more years then spread out the remaining 40 million over 4 years. If the Patriots did that we could get a few nice pieces. However most of it will be snapped up into either Vollmer ( think we franchise), Talib 1 year offer take it or leave it. Welker 2 year 12 million which i really hope he takes it but meh doubt it.

Amendola reminds me of Edelman both can't stay healthy.

Henry Melton would be amazing but i think the bears will definitely resign him.

Ed Reed I'm not sure about could help to have two Free safeties in him and McCourty cover the tight ends due to our terrible LB coverage.

I would take Asomugha in a heartbeat but does he ask for a big contract?

I have no problem taking a 7th round corner with huge upside and having him fill the nickel spot. We need another nickel corner anyway, so one that could potentially improve is a bonus.

I've heard good things about Valcaro and Elam. Elam is Florida which is a breeding ground for Belichick-type players. If we can snare Ed Reed then safety drops to a mid-round priority I think.

The jury is out on Asomugha at the moment. Does he only care about money? He got paid in Oakland, and he got paid in Philadelphia. For a guy who didn't live up to expectation in the latter, and had no success whatsoever in both, I think a lower end deal for a team primed for a SB might interest him.
Would take Asomugha if hetook a pay cut . Chance to win over big contract.

Elam is definitely the BB type player youd expect us to draft.

Would take Asomugha if hetook a pay cut . Chance to win over big contract.

Why would he go to the Pats if he wants a chance to win? :tongue:
Original post by Hedgeman49
Why would he go to the Pats if he wants a chance to win? :tongue:

We're still the premier team in the AFC :wink:
We're still the premier team in the AFC :wink:

:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Ravens next season back to obscurity. Give Flacco that 20m contract and your lot are in deep doo doo :tongue:
Ravens next season back to obscurity. Give Flacco that 20m contract and your lot are in deep doo doo :tongue:

Nah, not saying we're going to repeat but I reckon we'll at least make divisional / championship game. Year after we're starting to get old though...
Nah, not saying we're going to repeat but I reckon we'll at least make divisional / championship game. Year after we're starting to get old though...

Don't worry we're getting pretty old as well haha. If you can get Flacco to sign a smaller but still big contract it would be extremely helpful.
I have no problem taking a 7th round corner with huge upside and having him fill the nickel spot. We need another nickel corner anyway, so one that could potentially improve is a bonus.

I've heard good things about Valcaro and Elam. Elam is Florida which is a breeding ground for Belichick-type players. If we can snare Ed Reed then safety drops to a mid-round priority I think.

The jury is out on Asomugha at the moment. Does he only care about money? He got paid in Oakland, and he got paid in Philadelphia. For a guy who didn't live up to expectation in the latter, and had no success whatsoever in both, I think a lower end deal for a team primed for a SB might interest him.

Harvin on the trade block...

Patriots should trade yay or nay?

Latest