The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What I find most curious is that Scots seem to concentrate only on England in this union. Wales and NI have not felt the need to table such a motion and independence movements in both nations are not forthcoming for the foreseeable future.

The SNP benefits enormously from having Alex Salmond on its side-he is a very persuasive man and his move to include 16 year olds in the vote is a shrewd one. I've looked high and low for where you've refuted the oil point-if you could direct me to it that'd be useful.

Devolution is in place precisely to minimise the impact on predominantly Scottish matters-which is why I find it hard to understand cries of inequality and English interference. From a more ideological standpoint, the things which have been accomplished with English and Scots side by side over the past 300 years have been enormous. The defeat of Napoleon, winning two world wars and defeating fascism in the process, are but a few examples of what has been achieved in the face of 'an inherently inequal union'. What is the point in going back to the way things were, when especially in times of economic uncertainty, it makes more sense for nations to co-operate?

I will never be convinced that Salmond is doing this as a way to spite England rather than to benefit his own country.
Reply 301
Original post by Midlander
What I find most curious is that Scots seem to concentrate only on England in this union. Wales and NI have not felt the need to table such a motion and independence movements in both nations are not forthcoming for the foreseeable future.

Wales and Northern Ireland are not Scotland. But Wales does have their own "SNP" if you will, Plaid Cymru, who are a reasonable force, currently the third largest party but in the previous election were the second largest. Bear in mind that no one predicted the huge rise in support for the SNP in 2007 and in the most recent elections, not even the most up to date polls before election day.
And Northern Ireland is an issue I'm sure we all know is very different from the rest, but you will note that Sinn Féin, currently the second largest party in the assembly, campaigns on a platform of unification with the Republic of Ireland.

The SNP benefits enormously from having Alex Salmond on its side-he is a very persuasive man and his move to include 16 year olds in the vote is a shrewd one. I've looked high and low for where you've refuted the oil point-if you could direct me to it that'd be useful.

Alex Salmond is a great politician, but he has been around for a long time, you can't put support for the SNP down to him, in that case the SNP would have been in power long ago.
As for votes at 16, the SNP has long supported lowering the voting age to 16, as have the Liberal Democrats and more recently Labour. It is a mainstream view that is only opposed by the Conservatives in the Scottish Parliament.
I have addressed the oil point several times, Scotland's economy won't fall apart without oil, no one is arguing that now, it is a completely discredited point of view. And Scotland has the new age of natural resources to look forward to, a quarter of Europe's renewable energy, as I said before, that is massive.

Devolution is in place precisely to minimise the impact on predominantly Scottish matters-which is why I find it hard to understand cries of inequality and English interference. From a more ideological standpoint, the things which have been accomplished with English and Scots side by side over the past 300 years have been enormous. The defeat of Napoleon, winning two world wars and defeating fascism in the process, are but a few examples of what has been achieved in the face of 'an inherently inequal union'. What is the point in going back to the way things were, when especially in times of economic uncertainty, it makes more sense for nations to co-operate?

Westminster still decides on taxation, defence and foreign policy to name a few, massive areas which Scotland should be able to make its own mind up on.
As for your historical points, those are leaning slightly into the "Rule Britannia" attitude, the world wars also involved France, America, Russia and many more as I'm sure you're aware. Scotland and England can still cooperate, and I want that, no one doesn't, but next time it will be as equals which is not something to be scared of.

I will never be convinced that Salmond is doing this as a way to spite England rather than to benefit his own country.

To call nationalists anti-English is as small minded as calling unionists anti-Scottish, don't lower yourself to that, it degrades every other point you have made.
(edited 11 years ago)
My views simply come from the years I've spent living in Scotland. It does not strike me as a prosperous nation, which you can see when you pass through any town in the country, Glasgow and Edinburgh aside. Salaries, living standards, and the economy in general, are stronger south of the border.

I've also encountered countless Scots who carry an ingrained chip on their shoulder towards most things English, which, in their own words, goes back to the days of Longshanks and 'tyrannical murder of innocent Scots'. Of course not every Scot carries this attitude, but it's a popular one which I, as an Englishman in Scotland, have to hear quite a lot more often than I'd like.

I talk about Wales and NI chiefly to highlight that they are part of the union too, but the SNP's arguments tend to always refer specifically to England, which does a disservice to both nations. The insinuation is that England somehow 'has it in' for Scotland, which as I'm sure you'll agree just isn't the case-but such arguments simply reinforce obsolete prejudices in Scots which have no place in this day and age. Slogans such as 'Only true Scots will vote yes' don't help either.

Not thinking solely about the UK, but globally, I strongly believe that nations should not be dividing themselves up and continential alliances such as the EU are positive. The resources which you refer to are only going to dwindle and this makes unions infinitely more favourable than separate entities. I am immensely proud that we have such a union (despite being on the end of narrow minded bigotry from Scots over the years), and carry deep resentment towards Alex and his party for attempting to break it.

Nothing personal against yourself, that's just how I feel.
Reply 303
My views simply come from the years I've spent living in Scotland. It does not strike me as a prosperous nation, which you can see when you pass through any town in the country, Glasgow and Edinburgh aside. Salaries, living standards, and the economy in general, are stronger south of the border.

I've also encountered countless Scots who carry an ingrained chip on their shoulder towards most things English, which, in their own words, goes back to the days of Longshanks and 'tyrannical murder of innocent Scots'. Of course not every Scot carries this attitude, but it's a popular one which I, as an Englishman in Scotland, have to hear quite a lot more often than I'd like.

I talk about Wales and NI chiefly to highlight that they are part of the union too, but the SNP's arguments tend to always refer specifically to England, which does a disservice to both nations. The insinuation is that England somehow 'has it in' for Scotland, which as I'm sure you'll agree just isn't the case-but such arguments simply reinforce obsolete prejudices in Scots which have no place in this day and age. Slogans such as 'Only true Scots will vote yes' don't help either.

Not thinking solely about the UK, but globally, I strongly believe that nations should not be dividing themselves up and continential alliances such as the EU are positive. The resources which you refer to are only going to dwindle and this makes unions infinitely more favourable than separate entities. I am immensely proud that we have such a union (despite being on the end of narrow minded bigotry from Scots over the years), and carry deep resentment towards Alex and his party for attempting to break it.

Nothing personal against yourself, that's just how I feel.

The attitude that Scotland is a deprived, subsidy junkie nation that is charitably kept under the wing of a benevolent UK is just wrong and incredibly insulting. Perhaps the attitudes you have encountered are precisely because you hold that out of date view.

The idea that Scotland hates England and that is the sole motivation for independence couldn't be further from the truth.
Original post by Scott006

And now we reach the lowest depths of ignorant unionism. Scotland is subsidised by England, she cries! Scots represent 8.4 per cent of the UK's total population, but they generate 9.4 per cent of its annual revenues in tax. Do you really think Westminster would be so desperate to cling to Scotland if it was a burden?

The oil is running out, but what's left certainly provides a nice boost to any newly independent Scotland. But our economy is not based on oil, Scotland has a quarter of Europe's renewable energy potential, that's massive! Scotland has been nicknamed the Saudi Arabia of renewable energy, and unlike oil it will never run out. Scotland has a very bright and profitable future ahead in exporting green energy itself and technology which will more than pick up where oil left off.

Yes, I'm aware of the green energy part of the SNPs agitprop - unfortunately it isn't nearly enough and you didn't answer the point about England being the only viable customer for it.

Your tax figure is just the usual SNP hocum - it includes all the taxes arising from North Sea revenues, but there will be much dispute about who really owns what and anyway, as you apparently recognise, the revenues are declining.

My guess is that there will be a significant ongoing outward migration from Scotland if it does go "independent" and in any event it would be pseudo-independence, subsidised by us, to make it viable.

Also Scotland is not a fairly uniform national entity based on ethnicity any more. A large percentage of the population are either self-identifying as "English" or "British". Enough to stop the romanticist medieval SNP fantasy from becoming a reality, luckily.
The attitude that Scotland is a deprived, subsidy junkie nation that is charitably kept under the wing of a benevolent UK is just wrong and incredibly insulting. Perhaps the attitudes you have encountered are precisely because you hold that out of date view.

The idea that Scotland hates England and that is the sole motivation for independence couldn't be further from the truth.

I've encountered pretty blatantly obvious anti-English attitudes bordering on racism from SNP supporters.
As a non restricted currency, the Bank of England literally has no power over who uses it, Scotland could very well continue to use it.
I was surprised when I learned this too, but it's true.
And the Euro could well become an attractive prospect, the outlook in Berlin is much more positive than flagging London, sorry to burst that bubble.

And now we reach the lowest depths of ignorant unionism. Scotland is subsidised by England, she cries! Scots represent 8.4 per cent of the UK's total population, but they generate 9.4 per cent of its annual revenues in tax. Do you really think Westminster would be so desperate to cling to Scotland if it was a burden?

The oil is running out, but what's left certainly provides a nice boost to any newly independent Scotland. But our economy is not based on oil, Scotland has a quarter of Europe's renewable energy potential, that's massive! Scotland has been nicknamed the Saudi Arabia of renewable energy, and unlike oil it will never run out. Scotland has a very bright and profitable future ahead in exporting green energy itself and technology which will more than pick up where oil left off.

I have dealt with the 8.4% of population and 9.4% of revenues canard several times in this thread already, but here we go again.

You forgot to mention that the Scottish politician who is credited with this quote says that it is equivalent to £1000 extra per person. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2011/06/22104419

Have to laugh as it is disingenious really, what he is doing here.

According to the UK Treasury's latest Public Expenditure Statistics (http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/pesa_2011_chapter9.pdf), Scots get an average of £10,212 per person spent on them every year by the UK government, compared with around £8,588 (£1,624 less) for people in England.

If Scots get an average of £1,624 extra spent on them per capita per annum, and contribute an average of £1,000 extra per capita per annum in tax, then they are being heavily subsidised.

Oh, and regarding that quarter of Europe's renewable energy potential, I guess that is alluding to MSP Fiona McLeod's claim that Scotland will soon generate 25% of Europe's electricity requirements by wind power. I thought it was ludicrous when I first heard it, but here it is again. Already done that in this thread, but I guess it has run for many pages and you haven't cared to read the thread, so here it is again.

A whole 25% of all Europe's electricity requirements?

That wind that is always blowing, no doubt. If not, they could always get the SNP round to make up for it, they're always full of hot air.

Oh, and that's assuming that considering the oil and gas resources in their territorial waters, the Shetlands don't make a bid for independence using the same 'natural resources' argument as Scotland is...

But anyway, the EU (a lesser fraction of Europe, but presumably that is what she is referring to) consumes 3,635,604 GWh/year. As of October 2010, 3.16 GW of worldwide offshore wind power capacity was operational, mainly in Northern Europe.

The Walney Wind Farm is the largest offshore wind farm in the world at 367 MW, and has 102 turbines. Therefore we can see that each turbine is rated at roughly 3.5 - 4 MW.

Scotland is going to need a lot of wind turbines...

There are 8,760 hours in the year. The manufacturer says you will get 30-35% out of them, but in use, it is around 22%. Let's be generous and say 25-26% for ease of calculation, so each 4 MW unit will put out roughly 9 GWh each year.

Looking for 908,901 GWh/year (25% of 3,635,604 GWh/year) you will need over 100,000 wind turbines, plus enough load capacity of conventional generation to make up for when the wind isn't blowing.
Reply 307
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes, I'm aware of the green energy part of the SNPs agitprop - unfortunately it isn't nearly enough and you didn't answer the point about England being the only viable customer for it.

"It's not nearly enough", where are you getting your information from? Scotland isn't some archaic nation where everyone works in the oil industry. Scotland doesn't need oil to survive just as other developed European nations don't need oil, the oil is simply a welcome boost, as is green energy. And England would not be the only viable customer, the technology can be exported worldwide, but only if Scotland establishes itself as a hub for renewable development as the SNP has been doing over the past years. The electricity itself can be exported to England incredibly easily, to Ireland via a short sea cable and even to mainland Europe if the demand was to arise. Regardless, given the size of Scotland's population in comparison to England's, even if England was the only customer, it would still be very profitable for the Scottish Government.

Your tax figure is just the usual SNP hocum - it includes all the taxes arising from North Sea revenues, but there will be much dispute about who really owns what and anyway, as you apparently recognise, the revenues are declining.

I looked up the Government Expenditure and Revenue Report for Scotland 2010-2011,
total public sector non-North Sea current revenue in Scotland was £45.2 billion. This is equivalent to 8.3 per cent of UK total non-North Sea current revenue which is broadly in line with Scotland's share of the UK population

So it seems even without oil and with an underdeveloped renewables industry, Scotland pays it way.
But the reality is, the oil is there, and while you may pass it off as worthless it is an almighty nest egg for an independent Scotland which would more than help it weather any post-independence storms that may come it's way.

My guess is that there will be a significant ongoing outward migration from Scotland if it does go "independent" and in any event it would be pseudo-independence, subsidised by us, to make it viable.

Scotland is not subsidised by England. That is a patronising and completely unfounded point of view that only serves to increase support for independence, so be my guest and continue to insult all of Scottish society.

Also Scotland is not a fairly uniform national entity based on ethnicity any more. A large percentage of the population are either self-identifying as "English" or "British". Enough to stop the romanticist medieval SNP fantasy from becoming a reality, luckily.

Where are you getting this information? Every piece of data I've seen suggests that very few people in Scotland identify solely as British and you only need to visit the country to see that people view themselves as "Scottish first" in almost every case, even if they also see themselves as British.
Reply 308
I've encountered pretty blatantly obvious anti-English attitudes bordering on racism from SNP supporters.

And I'm encountering ridiculous bigotry from you, continuously claiming that Scotland is subsidised.
Reply 309
Original post by marcusfox
I have dealt with the 8.4% of population and 9.4% of revenues canard several times in this thread already, but here we go again.

You forgot to mention that the Scottish politician who is credited with this quote says that it is equivalent to £1000 extra per person. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2011/06/22104419

Have to laugh as it is disingenious really, what he is doing here.

According to the UK Treasury's latest Public Expenditure Statistics (http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/pesa_2011_chapter9.pdf), Scots get an average of £10,212 per person spent on them every year by the UK government, compared with around £8,588 (£1,624 less) for people in England.

If Scots get an average of £1,624 extra spent on them per capita per annum, and contribute an average of £1,000 extra per capita per annum in tax, then they are being heavily subsidised.

I have also come across this counter claim, but the reality is that £624 is easily accounted for by decades of UK government under-spending in Scotland on defence and on other items which are not routinely broken down by region, such as foreign office services.

You can twist numbers either way, but the reality is that Scotland is very viable as an independent nation. Again, I'll go back to the Treasury's worst case scenario for an independent Scotland in which every Scot would be £1 worse off. Doesn't quite match up to the predictions of economic catastrophe, does it.

Oh, and regarding that quarter of Europe's renewable energy potential, I guess that is alluding to MSP Fiona McLeod's claim that Scotland will soon generate 25% of Europe's electricity requirements by wind power. I thought it was ludicrous when I first heard it, but here it is again. Already done that in this thread, but I guess it has run for many pages and you haven't cared to read the thread, so here it is again.

That wind that is always blowing, no doubt. If not, they could always get the SNP round to make up for it, they're always full of hot air.

Oh, and that's assuming that considering the oil and gas resources in their territorial waters, the Shetlands don't make a bid for independence using the same 'natural resources' argument as Scotland is...

But anyway, the EU (a lesser fraction of Europe, but presumably that is what she is referring to) consumes 3,635,604 GWh/year. As of October 2010, 3.16 GW of worldwide offshore wind power capacity was operational, mainly in Northern Europe.

The Walney Wind Farm is the largest offshore wind farm in the world at 367 MW, and has 102 turbines. Therefore we can see that each turbine is rated at roughly 3.5 - 4 MW.

Scotland is going to need a lot of wind turbines...

There are 8,760 hours in the year. The manufacturer says you will get 30-35% out of them, but in use, it is around 22%. Let's be generous and say 25-26% for ease of calculation, so each 4 MW unit will put out roughly 9 GWh each year.

Looking for 908,901 GWh/year (25% of 3,635,604 GWh/year) you will need over 100,000 wind turbines, plus enough load capacity of conventional generation to make up for when the wind isn't blowing.

Green energy potential, If Scotland really was producing a quarter of Europes electricity with only a tiny fraction of it's population then it would be an immensely wealthy nation. The point I was illustrating is that Scotland has a very bright future in the renewables industry that will be a nice and stable source of income and employment. I am not advocating that Scotland base its economy 100% on renewables. Scotland is a modern, diverse European nation that does not rely on one source of income and generous English subsidies, as much as you would like to think it does.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 310
Scotland is more left wing, if your frankly ridiculous conspiracy theory of the SNP being closet tories rings true, then Scottish people will simply vote for someone else.
And of course this could change over time, but as an independent nation the governance of Scotland would change along with this change in attitude. Alternatively, if Scotland was to stay in the union, it could change it's opinions as much as it wanted but that would have no guaranteed affect on the central government which would continue to be dominated by England.

So you want independence for political ideological reasons? London is a Labour stronghold, should London become independent?

There is no question of viability, you are a bit behind on the times with this one. Even the "Better Together" campaign have stopped questioning the viability of an independent Scotland, it is rather insulting to do so.

Is that why the SNP don't haven't shared anything about the viability of it yet? How shall you pay for a) your share of the national debt b) welfare c) healthcare d) free prescriptions e) free tuition f) education? The SNP are keeping very quiet about it. Currently Scotland get a subsidy for all of this, could you afford this without it?

The question of the Euro vs Pound is however a debatable one. Scotland could continue under the pound, even without the blessing of the Bank of England, that's just how currency works. In fact, an independent body, the Fiscal Commission Working Group, very recently reported that it would be in the UK's best interests for Scotland to keep Sterling due to the level of cross border trade. And you are right, Scotland could also opt for the Euro which isn't an incredibly attractive prospect now, but given the unrelenting strength of continental economy's like that of Germany, in the future it could very possibly become a more attractive option for Scotland. And with independence, Scotland could choose the option which is most beneficial

Okay, join the pound, however this means no EU, as EU law clearly states that new joining countries must take up the Euro. However what you've done is become independent so you can have economic power yet you've handed most of that back over because you'd have **** all say on the currency you use. You wont get a say on monetary policy. You can't become independent and keep all the perks. But fine, lets say you keep Stirling. It is very viable for a small, a not very influential, nation such as Scotland to be out of the EU? The Euro is 'an incredibly attractive prospect' now? Get your head out of the sand - or have you missed the whole Euro crisis that's still ongoing?

Oh that old ignorant point, I assume you are suggesting that an independent Scotland would automatically have to shoulder the burden of RBS alone, yes? Well.. very well, RBS has already been bailed out by the UK Government, signing over the UK Gov. shares in RBS to an independent Scotland would be a gift rather than a burden.
However, in all seriousness, the cost of the RBS bailout is likely to be shared between the UK and Scottish Governments. For many years the UK Treasury enjoyed the influx of taxes from RBS and for that matter, Scottish Oil and many other resources and businesses as well. But that is how a political union works and is why RBS, which despite having "Scotland" in it's name was legally a British bank, was bailed out by the central British Government. To suddenly ignore this and toss all that responsibility onto the Scottish Government would require the UK Treasury to pay to Scotland the sum total of all the revenue they have gained from RBS over the past decades, and to that I would say, yes please! And to which George Osborne would probably start crying.

All that rhetoric is well and good about the UK Treasury benefiting from RBS but the fact of the matter is, the cost of the bailout cost more than Scotland gains in tax revenue.

Scotland is already part of the Common Travel Area which has existed between the UK and the Republic of Ireland, and the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey, for many decades. Border controls are in nobody's interest which is why they are very very unlikely to be established.

Fine, but if you join the EU, and the Schengen, you will have to put border controls in. And you'll have to do it regardless, unless you're going for an open door policy? And who's to say we wont shut ours? You're incredibly naive in thinking Scotland can leave the union yet still keep all the perks in the 'national interest' for all of us. Chances are these things will benefit us, if they do, only minutely.

I certainly do hope that Scotland and the rest of the UK maintain very close cooperation, it is mutually beneficial, much like the Nordic Nations do. But with an independent Scotland it will be on equal terms.

No, it wont happen. You can't leave yet keep all the perks.
Or is part of your worldview that RBS will be regarded as an English bank??

This is awkward. RBS branches in England and Wales are to be sold at some point in the future and I'm with RBS atm so either I'll have to swap to another bank, like Natwest, or it'll put me into a Natwest or other RBS group bank.

It's also awkward because it's mostly an English owned bank so maybe it'll rebrand as the RBE (Royal Bank or England) and be an English/UK banking group as the government has an 82% stake in it.

As for your historical points, those are leaning slightly into the "Rule Britannia" attitude, the world wars also involved France, America, Russia and many more as I'm sure you're aware. Scotland and England can still cooperate, and I want that, no one doesn't, but next time it will be as equals which is not something to be scared of.

Aaaarrggghhh. But you are treated equally as any other Englishman, Welshman and Northern Irishman. You just want more power and to want 10 times the amount in influence an Englishman has. GRRRRRRR.

Scotland is already part of the Common Travel Area which has existed between the UK and the Republic of Ireland, and the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey, for many decades. Border controls are in nobody's interest which is why they are very very unlikely to be established.

Erm, it's not a separate member so it will surely have to apply and get approval from whoever runs that. Along with thousands of other treaties it has to apply for and sign, along with applying to become a NATO member state and to become an new EU member state as, you know, it's a new state, a fact which goes completely over the heads of the SNP when they try the 'Scotland is in the EU now, so why will there be a case where it isn't?' and bull****.
(edited 11 years ago)

Talk about blowing something well out of proportion. Problem is that the 'You killed our people 700 years ago' rubbish is still used as justification for Anglophobia in Scotland.

It's a nonsense that the SNP is well aware of and encourages through doing things like holding the referendum on the anniversary of Bannockburn.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Not having spent much time in England, I'm open to be corrected on this BUT on the occasions I have driven to down to London from Glasgow, I can't help but notice that the majority of the journey seems to be through run down, economically depressed areas. I'm not pointing out specific towns, but let's just say there's a reason why they say it's "grim up north." I certainly don't spend my time thinking "'gee those Engerlish are a prosperous bunch, good job they're there to subsidize those ungrateful, peasant Scotch." I would even go so far to argue that if London were taken away from England, any per capita gdp advantage it has(if one does currently exist), would go away. I'm not Scottish, by the way.
And I'm encountering ridiculous bigotry from you, continuously claiming that Scotland is subsidised.

Lol, the SNP now define "claiming Scotland is subsidised" as "bigotry".

Hilarious stuff really.

It's a fantasy con-game. The only plausible route for exporting Scotland's electricity is to England. With a single customer, it is highly unlikely that they can command high prices.
Original post by HappyBappy
Not having spent much time in England, I'm open to be corrected on this BUT on the occasions I have driven to down to London from Glasgow, I can't help but notice that the majority of the journey seems to be through run down, economically depressed areas. I'm not pointing out specific towns, but let's just say there's a reason why they say it's "grim up north." I certainly don't spend my time thinking "'gee those Engerlish are a prosperous bunch, good job they're there to subsidize those ungrateful, peasant Scotch." I would even go so far to argue that if London were taken away from England, any per capita gdp advantage it has(if one does currently exist), would go away. I'm not Scottish, by the way.

On the contrary-Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle and so on are all economically strong centres. Of course there are run down areas, but unlike Scotland there are simply more big economic centres than just 3.

I didn't make the 'subsidy' remark either.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
As a non restricted currency, the Bank of England literally has no power over who uses it, Scotland could very well continue to use it.

This is perfectly true. Scotland could continue to use sterling. However, it seems odd to be seeking to gain a bigger voice in the world while giving up power and influence in the single most important factor in controlling your economy.

As things stand, the UK government makes decisions over sterling and the economy after taking account of the needs of the whole of the UK. If Scotland were independent but used sterling it would not have any account taken of its needs when the UK made decisions that directly affected Scotland. This is madness on the part of Scots.

If Scotland chooses the euro the needs of such a small fringe country would pale into insignificance when weighed alonside those of Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

In fact, if Scotland re-joins the EU it would be committed to joining the euro at some point, though, following the example of Sweden, it could theoretically put this off indefinitely by simply not joining the ERMII. Unfortunately the ECB has stated that this option will not be available to new EU members, leaving Scotland with little choice but to use the euro.
Original post by Good bloke
This is perfectly true. Scotland could continue to use sterling. However, it seems odd to be seeking to gain a bigger voice in the world while giving up power and influence in the single most important factor in controlling your economy.

As things stand, the UK government makes decisions over sterling and the economy after taking account of the needs of the whole of the UK. If Scotland were independent but used sterling it would not have any account taken of its needs when the UK made decisions that directly affected Scotland. This is madness on the part of Scots.

If Scotland chooses the euro the needs of such a small fringe country would pale into insignificance when weighed alonside those of Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

In fact, if Scotland re-joins the EU it would be committed to joining the euro at some point, though, following the example of Sweden, it could theoretically put this off indefinitely by simply not joining the ERMII. Unfortunately the ECB has stated that this option will not be available to new EU members, leaving Scotland with little choice but to use the euro.

It isn't likely that the Bank of England would permit Scotland to be in the Sterling "area" without control over their fiscal policies. This lack of fiscal control is precisely what led to the Euro crisis and central bankers are now on extreme alert to it.

As you say, separate entry of Scotland into the Eurozone would also be fraught with difficulties.

A pseudo-independent Scotland's choices are basically:

1/ Retain sterling and be under full fiscal control (probably with tax and spend parameters under constant review and intervention from the B of E) from London.

2/ Enter the Euro and be a small member of the Eurozone with huge (potentially crippling) bills to pay as part of the overall ongoing effort to keep the PIGS on board.

It's no surprise that Salmond has gone for option 1, but he is doing it by simply not telling the truth to Scottish taxpayers about how it would be run under that option.

As you say, separate entry of Scotland into the Eurozone would also be fraught with difficulties.

As a new EU member, Scotland doesn't really have the option of avoiding the euro soon after accession to the EU. It won't have the opt-out that the UK has, and (according to the ECB) won't have the delaying mechanism that Sweden has.

Latest

Trending

Trending