The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MatureStudent36
How is free travel in our mutual interest if Salmond tries to turn Scotland into a tax haven?

Apparently there are a number of villages and even individual properties that straddle *both sides* of the border. Imagine the tax evasion possibilities! Also people from London will be trying to snap up every address in Scotland, pushing house prices out of the reach of most Scots.
Reply 341
Original post by marcusfox
LOL. Well done

"The remaining £624 is easily accounted for by decades of UK government under-spending in Scotland on defence and on other items which are not routinely broken down by region, such as foreign office services."

As taken verbatim from paragraph six of this page http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/11/scotland-12288-union-public :holmes:

The comments tear this apart. I particularly liked

"The attempted excuse that "...The remaining £624 is easily accounted for by decades of UK government under-spending in Scotland on defence and on other items..." is risible. If it were so easy, the author would have done it, and even if it were true, it would not alter the current inequity, and it is in any case contradicted by the later assertion that "...the likely defence expenditure of an independent Scotland would...be roughly £1bn less than what the UK currently spends on its behalf".

and also

"Where is the evidence that there is "under-spending" in defence or other areas? And how much under spending? You obviously don't know. There are no real statistics or calculations here, just bar room argument stuff."

You're the one twisting numbers. I've just shown you that Scotland receives a subsidy of £624 per person. Regardless of whether or not you believe that that is down to your second hand 'making up for decades of underinvestment' quote, the reality is is that come independence, Scotland would no longer be getting that 'investment' money and thus it follows that every Scot would be £624 worse off right from the bat before the Scots economy is even tested as a separate entity.

I get my information from as many sources as I can find, I don't simply assume or make things up as many people here seem to be doing.
Examples of UK Government underspending on things that aren't split up by region, have you been to London? The headquarters of every ministry is there, that's not cheap and provides a great deal of employment.
But if what you were saying is true, that Scotland is subsidised by England, then I'd take that as a reason for independence. Scotland has a brilliant education system, amazing natural resources and a diverse economy. There is no reason why Scotland can't fund itself, our welfare is nowhere near as extensive as in scandinavian countries who manage to do well economically. I'd argue that Scotland needs independence to get control of the fiscal levers necessary to drive our economy forward.
But of course, what you are saying is not true, again I'll go back to the Treasury's worse case scenario that every Scot would be £1 worse off.

No one is campaigning on the platform that Scotland is subsidised, because it is frankly untrue and just incredibly insulting. But, as I have said before, by all means continue to say it again and again as if it will become true, from what I've seen it only serves to increase support for independence.

Green energy potential means nothing unless you put the infrastructure in place. And the rest, no matter what you might like to think or boldly assert without evidence does not make it true.

Indeed it smacks much like the wishful thinking nonsense that many pro-independence Scots nationalists have been spouting on this thread.

And Scotland is somehow incapable of putting the infrastructure in place? The Scottish Government is currently rapidly expanding it's renewables infrastructure, they set a target that by 2011 to generate the equivalent of 31% Scotland's electricity needs from renewable energy, they not only met but exceeded that target by 4%.
I don't call that wishful thinking, do you?
Reply 342
Original post by Scott006

If you think an area with the population the size of Scotland, with only 1 MP in the ruling party

Scotland has 12 MPs in the ruling parties. I realise the Lib Dems are clearly not the main party, but they are still part of the current government's decision making process. So to say Scotland only has 1 MP in the ruling party is misleading at best.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think you mean a "pretend we're independent" Scotland, since total independence will be impossible.

The pseudo-independent Scotland will retain (according to the SNP):

* The Queen - bit of a giveaway!

The monarchy is as much Scotland's as it is England's. Plus there are 15 other independent countries that also share the Queen with the UK. Not that I support Scottish independence, but there's plenty of historical evidence that the Queen is not simply the "English" queen.
I'm not Anglophobic, my family and friends aren't. In fact, I've spent a lot of time here promoting a close friendship and cooperation between an independent Scotland and the rest of the UK while many other people have spent just as much time talking about how the rest of the UK should act spitefully towards an independent Scotland.

And the SNP do no such thing, the only information on the date the referendum will be held is Autumn 2014, Bannockburn also happened in the Autumn, that is the only connection between the two that newspapers have for some reason decided to jump on. As a result of this, I think the anniversary of Bannockburn is in fact one of the least likely dates for the referendum now.

The Bannockburn reference was to the year, not the exact date-I'm 99% sure that Salmond himself has said that was his intention.

If you hold no Anglophobic views then good, but I'm afraid the same can't be said for a lot of your fellow Scots. Indeed, it's so irritating that I have absolutely zero wish to live or work here beyond my graduation, and several parts of the media have highlighted how few English graduates stay north of the border for this precise reason. It's a crying shame as Scotland really is a lovely country, but with people who can't get over medieval wars.

As for acting spitefully towards an independent Scotland, it's just realism. You cannot surely expect to sever ties with the UK but still preserve all of the current perks? Scots would have no right to expect support, financial or otherwise, for abandoning the union it has gained so much from.
Reply 344
Oh look who I am replying to again. I remember reading this a couple of days ago and thinking that it was utter nonsense, but I didn't bother replying then as I was busy. However just today I was reading the Metro, which seems to agree.

On page 6, Metro Home Digest, the headline of the piece is as follows:

You can check for yourself.

The Australian :confused: seems to go into more depth. An article written a few hours ago (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/independent-scotland-faces-treaty-turmoil/story-fnb64oi6-1226575704398)

[Slightly more legal advice there than Salmond has taken, that much is clear]

Oh and in future, if you want to make claims about staying a member of the EU or NATO, it is appropriate to provide a source.

Thanks...

Yes that is a lot of treaties. And?
You are talking as if no country has ever become independent before, the Scottish Government have set out a timeline of roughly two years from referendum to independence which when you look at examples set in the past, is actually quite a generous amount of time.

But really, when the argument stoops to "look at all that work, wouldn't it be easier just not to become independent." I know it's going well for the Yes campaign, what do you expect me to say? Oh that does look like a bit of work, meh lets just leave it be.
Really?
I was actually referring to equals as in two independent nations working in partnership. I don't feel like Scot's are treated as second class citizens in the Union (despite the incredibly ignorant bigoted views of some people here, insinuating that Scots survive on English subsidies), and I don't want more influence - that's precisely why I think independence is necessary. Scotland is an independent nation currently constricted into a union, it deserves to lead itself.

Just how the hell are Scots treated as Second class citiziens? Blair and Brown may not have helped the Scottish case, but they made it to PM status. Did anybody turn around and say 'don't vote labour as they'll give us a Jock PM?' You're mis representing comments about insular SNP supporters as anti Scottish. You are Joan MacCalpine and I claim my £5

I replied to much of this in my previous post, but you brought up an interesting point.
So if Scotland leaves the union, the rest of the UK is the only successor state, inheriting all the treaties, membership etc as it is the only successor state.
In that case, as the only successor state, the UK will also inherit all of the national debt.
That isn't fair, is it? That's why I say the real situation lies somewhere in the middle, Scotland will not automatically be binded by all UK treaties etc, but nor will it be kicked out in the cold as if that piece of land north of the border never existed prior to a Yes vote. There will be a lot of renegotiation, but Scotland is hardly the first nation to become independent by referendum, it has been done before and it will be done again.

Where does the link between between liability and Successor state come from? the CyberNats have been all over the Scotsman with this today. By repeating it, it doesn't make it true.

The SNP reckon they can have it sorted in 18 months. Have you had a look at the eminent list of those countries. Hardly nations you want to aspire to.
Reply 346
I get my information from as many sources as I can find, I don't simply assume or make things up as many people here seem to be doing.
Examples of UK Government underspending on things that aren't split up by region, have you been to London? The headquarters of every ministry is there, that's not cheap and provides a great deal of employment.
But if what you were saying is true, that Scotland is subsidised by England, then I'd take that as a reason for independence. Scotland has a brilliant education system, amazing natural resources and a diverse economy. There is no reason why Scotland can't fund itself, our welfare is nowhere near as extensive as in scandinavian countries who manage to do well economically. I'd argue that Scotland needs independence to get control of the fiscal levers necessary to drive our economy forward.
But of course, what you are saying is not true, again I'll go back to the Treasury's worse case scenario that every Scot would be £1 worse off.

Whether or not an independent Scotland would be successful depends on the ideology of its government. Given that the two largest parties in Scotland have pretty much the same ideology, and given that this ideology was applied to the entire UK for 13 years, there isn't any reason to expect an independent Scotland to do better than it would as part of the UK. Frankly I see independence as a pointless exercise; the people who support it care more about things like safety and equality than liberty and have piss all intention of changing the status quo in any meaningful way. We have a large, intrusive government now and we'll have a large, intrusive government if the nationalists get their way. Their "it's Scotland's oil" claims reveals a lack of any principled stance - from either a right or left wing perspective it makes no sense; it's entirely populist.

And Scotland is somehow incapable of putting the infrastructure in place? The Scottish Government is currently rapidly expanding it's renewables infrastructure, they set a target that by 2011 to generate the equivalent of 31% Scotland's electricity needs from renewable energy, they not only met but exceeded that target by 4%.
I don't call that wishful thinking, do you?

Why exactly does the government need to invest in renewable energy if it's so profitable? And why are the SNP scared of nuclear power?
Yes that is a lot of treaties. And?
You are talking as if no country has ever become independent before, the Scottish Government have set out a timeline of roughly two years from referendum to independence which when you look at examples set in the past, is actually quite a generous amount of time.

But really, when the argument stoops to "look at all that work, wouldn't it be easier just not to become independent." I know it's going well for the Yes campaign, what do you expect me to say? Oh that does look like a bit of work, meh lets just leave it be.
Really?

Which 30 countries decided to be independent?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21344264
1960 Central African Republic
1960 Chad
1960 Gabon
1960 Dahomey (Republic of Benin)
1960 Upper Volta (Burkino Faso)
1960 Togo
1960 Senegal
1960 Niger
1960 Mali
1960 Malagasy Republic (Madagascar)
1960 Ivory Coast
1962 Algeria
1962 Jamaica
1975 Comoros
1976 Samoa
1977 Djibouti
1980 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
1981 Vanuatu
1990 Namibia
1991 Estonia
1992 Croatia
1992 Slovenia
1993 Eritrea
1993 The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
1994 Palau
1999 Kiribati
2000 Tuvalu
2002 Timor-Leste
2006 Montenegro
2011 South Sudan
Original post by Midlander
The Bannockburn reference was to the year, not the exact date-I'm 99% sure that Salmond himself has said that was his intention.

If you hold no Anglophobic views then good, but I'm afraid the same can't be said for a lot of your fellow Scots. Indeed, it's so irritating that I have absolutely zero wish to live or work here beyond my graduation, and several parts of the media have highlighted how few English graduates stay north of the border for this precise reason. It's a crying shame as Scotland really is a lovely country, but with people who can't get over medieval wars.

As for acting spitefully towards an independent Scotland, it's just realism. You cannot surely expect to sever ties with the UK but still preserve all of the current perks? Scots would have no right to expect support, financial or otherwise, for abandoning the union it has gained so much from.

I'd agree. It's been sad to see how the place has changed since I was last studying here in the 1990's. This whole episode is leaving a bad taste and causing division. All becuase of
one mans ego.

However, chin up shipmate. Narrow minded insular views always come to the fore in times of economic hardship. And as they're only polling 30%. It's only a minority of a minority who are like that. Generally its banter though. There's idiots everywhere.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 349
I think you mean a "pretend we're independent" Scotland, since total independence will be impossible.

The pseudo-independent Scotland will retain (according to the SNP):

* The Queen - bit of a giveaway!

Haha, so you consider nations like Australia and Canada to be "pseudo-independent", the Commonwealth does not equal the British Empire.

* The pound

Yes, or the Euro, or theoretically any currency which would be most beneficial to Scotland. Independence lets Scotland choose.

* A less than fair share of the RBS debt burden

Well there you go making things up out of thin air again. No one knows how the RBS debt will be split, precisely because the UK Government has refused to talk about it, in defiance of recommendations from the election commission I may add.

* And all the good bits, eg, all the oil.

Most of the oil is Scottish, there is absolutely no precedent for a foreign nation to retain control of another's natural resources after independence, so don't even try to go down that route. Unless you think it's all English oil, because Britannia rules the waves, hence every drop of oil under those waves is British! Are you also going to lay claim to all Scottish water, all Scottish gold in it's mountains. In fact, should England not reclaim every building in Scotland constructed post 1707?

I would propose any such arrangement be immediately followed by immediate closure of the border to all trade, expulsion of Scotland from the Commonwealth and repossession of all oil-related equipment paid for by UK companies.

This would result in Scotland ceasing to exist as a viable country within weeks.

I guess the "independence" turns out to be quite an illusion.

That is ridiculous, and says a lot about your attitude to Scotland.
To meet the aspirations of independence-minded Scots and Welsh (and ignoring for the moment the problem of Northern Ireland) it would be better to have a Federal Britain, with three (4?) Parliaments (we have those already - apart from the glaring exception of one in England!) and a central "UK Assembly" voted for by the national Parliaments. (To meet presumably at a rotating location in each country.)

This federal system under the Queen would then offer genuine country rights and democracy to all and a genuine Sterling zone and Bank supervision.

The current mess proposed by the SNP would leave everything in an unstructured heap, with massive constitutional changes that the English will never have voted for, leave England effectively unrepresented other than by an institution designed to rule the entire UK and a completely unsustainable and intolerable position regarding Scottish use of Sterling and all the risks of banking collapse and debt spirals associated with no fiscal control.

The Federal plan could be voted on by the entire UK, not just leave the proposed pseudo-independent (but not properly Federal, even whilst having many of the trappings of Federalism) Scotland doing its own thing and breaking up the Union without all agreeing.
Apparently there are a number of villages and even individual properties that straddle *both sides* of the border. Imagine the tax evasion possibilities! Also people from London will be trying to snap up every address in Scotland, pushing house prices out of the reach of most Scots.

Great, another Slab Murphy situation. Where's the evidence that people from London are buying up property?

This seems to be a CyberNat wet dream again. Having power over the English

That is ridiculous, and says a lot about your attitude to Scotland.

I intended it as humour, but it's no more ridiculous than your airy assertion that Scotland can choose whichever currency it wants, as if there are no consequences.

In fact, I believe the most likely outcome of the proposed SNP route as it stands is that they would end up pleading with the ECB to be allowed into the Euro, at a heavy price to every single Scot. Gargantuan bills will fall onto Scottish taxpayers.

A huge campaign to distance England from Scotland would be absolutely inevitable, because how could England possibly, possibly permit Sterling to be used freely by the Scottish government against a background of zero fiscal control or restraint?

Absolute tripe.
Reply 353

Really?

The more major point is it shows how much Salmond is just making up as he goes along.

Also, I'm surprised nobody's bringing up the fact the EU would likely not be in favour of an independent Scotland (or allowing anything to be easy for it), due to the precedent several EU powers would rather not be set.
Reply 354
The only counter argument to this is that the UK provides a bigger "voice" for Scotland. I ask you, what Scottish person see's David Cameron as their voice to the world? In fact, on these big issues that Scotland is expected to be grateful to have the UK for, Scotland is in fact known for being out of step with the Westminster view, examples being the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and nuclear weapons.

I see David Cameron as more representative of my views than Alex Salmond, and I've been pretty satisfied with his foreign policy so far, so I guess the answer to that question is; me.

For the most part the people I've encountered who oppose Britain having nuclear weapons are either people haven't thought about the advantage an enemy state would gain if it had nuclear weapons and we didn't, or they're members of the death-to-the-west crowd.

And frankly I don't miss Saddam or Qaddafi (whose terrorist Salmond's "Justice" minister released) or the totalitarian Taliban government of Afghanistan.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Great, another Slab Murphy situation. Where's the evidence that people from London are buying up property?

This seems to be a CyberNat wet dream again. Having power over the English

They aren't buying it up yet. I was talking about a situation where Salmond announces a radically lower set of tax rates in Scotland than exist in England. Unless he plans to also opt out of the EU and the WTO besides and prevent well-off English people from purchasing Edinburgh?
To meet the aspirations of independence-minded Scots and Welsh (and ignoring for the moment the problem of Northern Ireland) it would be better to have a Federal Britain, with three (4?) Parliaments (we have those already - apart from the glaring exception of one in England!) and a central "UK Assembly" voted for by the national Parliaments. (To meet presumably at a rotating location in each country.)

This federal system under the Queen would then offer genuine country rights and democracy to all and a genuine Sterling zone and Bank supervision.

The current mess proposed by the SNP would leave everything in an unstructured heap, with massive constitutional changes that the English will never have voted for, leave England effectively unrepresented other than by an institution designed to rule the entire UK and a completely unsustainable and intolerable position regarding Scottish use of Sterling and all the risks of banking collapse and debt spirals associated with no fiscal control.

The Federal plan could be voted on by the entire UK, not just leave the proposed pseudo-independent (but not properly Federal, even whilst having many of the trappings of Federalism) Scotland doing its own thing and breaking up the Union without all agreeing.

Why? That's just another layer of waste.
What happens the next time we have a global financial downturn? re we going to see the equally under qualified North East of England parliment led by its one and only charistmatic member attempt to black mail the rest of the UK into giving him more power. Because lets be honest, not even Salmond can believe his pipe dream is going anywhere>?
Original post by Slumpy
The more major point is it shows how much Salmond is just making up as he goes along.

Also, I'm surprised nobody's bringing up the fact the EU would likely not be in favour of an independent Scotland (or allowing anything to be easy for it), due to the precedent several EU powers would rather not be set.

They've already expressed grave reservations.
They aren't buying it up yet. I was talking about a situation where Salmond announces a radically lower set of tax rates in Scotland than exist in England. Unless he plans to also opt out of the EU and the WTO besides and prevent well-off English people from purchasing Edinburgh?

Unless it's Rich Londoners buying up property so little Johnny can get some free education.

But I agree, the corporation tax being lowered hasn't really worked out for him. How are pension liabilities going to be met anywhere after a race to the bottom?
Reply 359
Original post by Midlander

You are making things up.
The SNP has been campaigning for independence long before 2014, in fact when the SNP created a minority government in 2007 they tried to pass a referendum bill.

And what you are saying really is insulting, you are not some oracle of Scottish national opinion, because you decide to claim that most of Scotland hates English people, does not make it true. You don't see me here claiming that most English people hate Scottish people.

I am absolutely astounded that you can sit back and smugly claim that the Scottish people are obsessed with their past and with a hatred of England, really, how dare you.
And furthermore, I can't believe that no one else has picked you up on this, you can't just generalise and insult an entire nation.

Latest

Trending

Trending