The Student Room Group

Harper Adams Foundation Year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
To be honest, I actually worried I'd probably be the oldest ha!

Someone said that the interviews are quite informal, are they? What are you studying? :smile:
Reply 121
Glad its not just me then! What course are you doing?
I havent actually applied for harper adams but if i dont get the grades I need to get into the ones ive applied for then harper adams will hopefully be my clearing option! I applied for BSc Hons Vet Nursing at RVC, Middlesex, Warwickshire, Edinburgh Napier and West Anglia which includes applied animal behaviour. I have 2 interviews one for middlesex and one for warwickshire and a conditional offer from west anglia but havent heard from the other 2 yet. :-( what about you?
There are 40 year olds in my classes at college so im one of the youngest! Lol.
Reply 123
Oh and interviews... Mine was for Rural Property Management but in general make sure you say HA is better than the RAC. Make sure you let them know if you hunt/shoot/fish and also name drop if you know or have worked with anyone big in the industry. Its pretty informal, more of a chat than anything. Make sure you research the course and the different moduals. Where you want to do your placement ect. I wore a shirt and tie but on the open day plenty just had jeans and a top on.
Reply 124
Brilliant, thank you :smile: have you had an offer yet? Are you doing the extended foundation degree?

Ive applied for animal management and welfare extended foundation degree.
Reply 125
Im doing the RPM BSc Hons (4 years). Yes i had a unconditional offer last week and accepted it. Good luck
Reply 126
Well done!

Original post by MeganLG
Ahhh :smile: Well done. Mines the 20th too! Sorry you've probably already said but what have you applied for?

What happens with our mom and dad while we're being interviewed? (Silly question I know!)

:smile:

very good! i applied for agriculture, countryside management and the business year 0 courses, but hoping to go onto to do agriculture Bsc after, fingers crossed anyway. That is actually a good question, im thinking they wait in the waiting area until your interview finishes, but i think they can go on the campus tour with you haha :smile: good luck with your interview anyway :smile:
Reply 128
Original post by Pompeygirl
I'll be 26 when I start Uni in September! You're classed as mature from 19 onwards i believe. We are just ancient. :-)

Woo i wont be the oldest at 25
Reply 129
Original post by AmyJaynePugh93
Hi, I've recently applied for Harpers veterinary nursing ext foundation degree but was just wondering if anybody could give me any information on my chances of getting in as i know it is a competitive course or any interview tips and expectations.

I am 19 and have just finished my Level 2 Veterinary Care Assisting Degree with MMM and i have also obtained over a years worth of work experience in a veterinary practice (just over a thousand hours) in the past year. However my GCSE grades at school aren't great which i feel wasnt through lack of capability but through lack of motivation at the time. :frown: I only have 5 A*-C which don't include maths or science :frown:

Any information anybody could give me would be very much appreciated!

Hi I've also applied for this! I'm 21, just finishing an apprenticeship in Work Based Animal Care working at a 5* Dog and Cat Hotel (catering for the needs of healthy to medication dependent boarders:smile: )
I dont have a massive amount of Nursing Exp but I work alongside a notoriously large animal hospital and practice. So I've shadowed quite a lot, from knocking out/putting under general anaesthetics, to helping in wards etc and also had the opportunity to shadow routine surgerys such as dog castrations, bitch spays, cat castrations/spays and also ferret castration and spays! Also shadowed a Guinea Pig dental along with the usual cat and dog ones too :smile:
Also have Maths, Eng and Science all grade C or above, I studied A levels for 2 years in Sociology, Psychology and Art (Massive career change)
Foundation Diploma (studying up to a Level 4 as they like to see you can handle this level of education)
and then the diploma in work based animal care :smile:

About your GCSE grades I've looked on the UCAS sight and it says:

'Applicants are normally expected to have a minimum of 7-9 GCSE's at grade C or above to include Maths, English Language and Science. The required GCSEs must be completed prior to application. Applicants doing qualifications beyond GCSE (eg AS levels, BTECs etc) can expect to receive an offer asking them to complete these to show their commitment. A minimum of 2 weeks relevant work experience before interview, 4 weeks in total by 5 August 2013.'

So I'm not sure?! D:
Reply 130
Original post by MeganLG
Ahh. I've had my interview date through! Soooooo nervous but excited!

Ahhhh.

Haha! :smile:

Anyone else had any news?

Congrats! :smile:
I just need to send off proof of my work experience then it's just waiting and seeing for me! Havent heard anything for the Animal Management and Welfare though!
Reply 131
I'm sure you will soon! Wow. You've got so many qualifications and experience.

I really don't Think I'll get in. So nervous. I took your advice and have started volunteering at our local rescue :smile: thanks for that :smile:
Reply 132
Original post by Claire1994
very good! i applied for agriculture, countryside management and the business year 0 courses, but hoping to go onto to do agriculture Bsc after, fingers crossed anyway. That is actually a good question, im thinking they wait in the waiting area until your interview finishes, but i think they can go on the campus tour with you haha :smile: good luck with your interview anyway :smile:

Good luck to you too!! :smile:
Reply 133
Original post by MeganLG
I'm sure you will soon! Wow. You've got so many qualifications and experience.

I really don't Think I'll get in. So nervous. I took your advice and have started volunteering at our local rescue :smile: thanks for that :smile:

Haha, I only have so many because Ive never been out of education for over 3 months. They all build up in the end... Plus I love learning :smile:

I think you will! You have the experience and they'll definitely take into account you're volunteering, make sure you have stuff to talk about what you've learnt from doing it etc at your interview! :smile:
Reply 134
I hope so. I'm off work after today so I'm just going to prepare, prepare, prepare for the next 3 days ha!!

Ive been out of education for 3 years so its nerve wracking but I really miss learning so its exciting too! :biggrin:
Reply 135
Okay guys this might sound ridiculous but I have just had a mini meltdown!

Is the extended year covered by the tuition loan and is a maintenance loan etc available for this year?
Reply 136
I'm pretty sure it is, and yeah it should be!
Reply 137
Yes it is, sent off my student finance application a few weeks back, looks like im getting bugger all maintenance loan though so im going to be relying on savings for beer money!
Reply 138
I did the student finance calculator, the course is 9000 a year but I'll only get 3700 something as a loan and nothing else! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Isn't the rest of the course fee covered by a grant? When I looked at finance before that's what I thought. Is student finance wales different?

You can get a Tuition Fee Loan to cover all or the first part of the tuition fees your university or college will charge you, up to a maximum of £3,575.

If the actual fee being charged by your university or college is more than £3,575, you can also get a Tuition Fee Grant. The grant will cover any difference between the maximum loan and the actual fee you are charged.
So, for example;
if your university charge £5,000 for tuition fees, you can get a loan of £3,575 and a grant of £1,425.

I have no savings so it'll be very cheap super market vodka for me!! Ha!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending