The Student Room Group

What is the difference between Macromolecules and Giant Covalent?

Its in my revision book :smile:
Well as far as I'm aware...

A macromolecule has a giant covalent structure

A giant covalent structure is a type of macromolecule. which is A macromolecule large molecule made up of many smaller molecules, such as, glycerol with many fatty acid chains; polymers such as polyvinylchloride and I believe a basic one is graphite (possibly graphene as well). These are also examples of giant covalent structures but as mentioned below, giant ionic structures are also a type of macromolecule.

Edit: Starch is a good example with many smaller chains of simple sugars joined together...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Macromolecules are just very big molecules, or giant structure. So that's Giant Metallic, Giant Covalent, Giant ionic. Im guessing you need it for Chemistry 2 so ignore what that girl said about polyvinylchloride, starch etc :tongue: otherwise shes right.
Original post by sneakbo2
Macromolecules are just very big molecules, or giant structure. So that's Giant Metallic, Giant Covalent, Giant ionic. Im guessing you need it for Chemistry 2 so ignore what that girl said about polyvinylchloride, starch etc :tongue: otherwise shes right.

Sorry, but largely what you just said is wrong.

OP, check this for what macromolecules are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromolecule

Common macromolecules are of course polymers.

Giant covalent structures are basically crystalline covalently bonded solids, such as silica, graphite and diamond. I say crystalline in the context of a regular repeating pattern.
Ionic solids have a regular repeating unit but are primarily ionically bonded, i.e. the atoms are found as ions in the solid, e.g. rock salt
Reply 4
Original post by JMaydom
Sorry, but largely what you just said is wrong.

OP, check this for what macromolecules are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromolecule

Common macromolecules are of course polymers.

Giant covalent structures are basically crystalline covalently bonded solids, such as silica, graphite and diamond. I say crystalline in the context of a regular repeating pattern.
Ionic solids have a regular repeating unit but are primarily ionically bonded, i.e. the atoms are found as ions in the solid, e.g. rock salt

Lol hes doing GCSE chemistry mate, i'm not wrong. He doesn't need to know polymers are macromolecules he needs to know giant ionic, covalent and metallic and simple molecular structures.
Lol hes doing GCSE chemistry mate, i'm not wrong. He doesn't need to know polymers are macromolecules he needs to know giant ionic, covalent and metallic and simple molecular structures.

In the majority of topics in chemistry, it's useful to know examples of key terms. Even if the specification doesn't say so, it helps a lot with understanding which is key to retaining the knowledge.

But equally ionic solids ARE NOT macromolecules......
Reply 7
Original post by Lightning.
Its in my revision book :smile:

there is no difference gaint covalent structures are sometimes referred to as macromolcules
Reply 8

As username913 said to you, this isn't right. where are you getting this from?

While it's true that Giant covalent is considered to be / is called, a macromolecule.

Ionic (while giant), / even if giant / even though giant, is not considered a macromolecule
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest