The Student Room Group

ifs School of Finance

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the ifs School of Finance in London?

I'm looking to do a Finance/Economics degree and then go onto a career in banking (most likely investment banking).

The BSc in Finance, Investment and Risk that they offer looks suitable, but I'm struggling to find much out about the institution online, i.e how good it is.

If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate some opinions.

Dan
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Original post by danlocke
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the ifs School of Finance in London?

I'm looking to do a Finance/Economics degree and then go onto a career in banking (most likely investment banking).

The BSc in Finance, Investment and Risk that they offer looks suitable, but I'm struggling to find much out about the institution online, i.e how good it is.

If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate some opinions.

Dan

I am considering applying for the Finance, Investment and Risk course through clearing, however have you seen the prices of the accommodation?!
Reply 4
Original post by Ollied
I am considering applying for the Finance, Investment and Risk course through clearing, however have you seen the prices of the accommodation?!

Yeah, they don't have halls right?
Reply 5
Hi, I've applied for 2 courses through UCAS and they're both at the IFS.
I went to the open days for the Finance, Investment and Risk course, as well as the Banking Practice and Management. I fell in love with both the uni itself and its intimacy that you don't get with Economics or Accounting and Finance courses at other London uni's like LSE.
When I went back for the taster sessions they remembered me, and it made me feel welcome and it just made me relax, which is why I cannot wait for September.
The accommodation is a huge concern as you have can either to rent or flat share in London or go to the student accommodation which is completely out of my budget if I want to eat, which means I've established I'll be renting or flat sharing. The issue with this is you can't sort it until late July at the earliest. What I've done is look at prices and areas on the district and circle tube line which stops about a minutes walk from the uni at monument, but if you wanted to walk from London Bridge and have more option with tubes and trains and stuff its only a 5-10 minute walk over the bridge :smile: Looking at the prices and areas means I can try and sort out a transfer from my current job to somewhere in London or find somewhere where I can find one easily as well as figure out how much I'll need roughly per month for rent and for deposits etc :smile:
I would love to find someone else that's going to the IFS that would be interested in flat sharing etc, or just to chat so I know someone come september :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by JazPeek
Hi, I've applied for 2 courses through UCAS and they're both at the IFS.
I went to the open days for the Finance, Investment and Risk course, as well as the Banking Practice and Management. I fell in love with both the uni itself and its intimacy that you don't get with Economics or Accounting and Finance courses at other London uni's like LSE.
When I went back for the taster sessions they remembered me, and it made me feel welcome and it just made me relax, which is why I cannot wait for September.
The accommodation is a huge concern as you have can either to rent or flat share in London or go to the student accommodation which is completely out of my budget if I want to eat, which means I've established I'll be renting or flat sharing. The issue with this is you can't sort it until late July at the earliest. What I've done is look at prices and areas on the district and circle tube line which stops about a minutes walk from the uni at monument, but if you wanted to walk from London Bridge and have more option with tubes and trains and stuff its only a 5-10 minute walk over the bridge :smile: Looking at the prices and areas means I can try and sort out a transfer from my current job to somewhere in London or find somewhere where I can find one easily as well as figure out how much I'll need roughly per month for rent and for deposits etc :smile:
I would love to find someone else that's going to the IFS that would be interested in flat sharing etc, or just to chat so I know someone come september :smile:

I'd be interested in sharing, im sure danlocke would be too once he looked at the prices!!
Reply 7
Original post by Ollied
I'd be interested in sharing, im sure danlocke would be too once he looked at the prices!!

Well if you are or both are drop me a message whenever :smile:
Reply 8
I have sorted my accommodation at Bethnal Green student living. It is only £110 pw bills inc. I start in Sept on the Finance course. Would anybody be up for meeting up beforehand?
Jamie

If you are up for meeting up, drop me a text.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
hi guys. so i applied to 5 other unis from ucas. but now i kind of dont wanna go to any as they are wayyy to far. i knoe i should have thought about this before. and i'm interested in this finance investment and risk course.but i have never been to IFS and lots of people haven't heard about it either. i mean is it good enough to ditch universities like aston, leicester or cardiff for if i get the grades they want at the end of it all?
Hi guys,

I have a place to study here is September on the finance, risk and investment course! Really stuggling to find somewhere to live though... Any recommendations? Also is the uni any good?

Alex
Reply 11
Hi everyone, I’m currently a final-year Finance, Investment and Risk student at the London Institute of Banking and Finance (LIBF, formerly IFS University College). I’m aware that this is an old thread, but I thought that I would try to answer some of the questions raised above and share my own thoughts and experiences.

1. ‘Is it good?’

The LIBF is well-recognized throughout the industry which has proven beneficial when applying for summer placements. I recently interned at the Royal Bank of Canada and have classmates that have interned/secured full-time positions at Goldman Sachs, RBS, Handelsbanken, Barclays, and a boutique hedge fund.

My degree is particularly tailored to a career within investment & corporate banking/asset management, which has been highly advantageous to me during internship assessment centres. In addition to this, we have access to a Bloomberg Terminal at the campus which is great for collecting data. Employers are also impressed by students who have experience operating the terminal.

I’ve also had a lot of opportunities to network; in particular, all students are allowed free entry into ‘prestige lectures’, which usually includes a 30-60 minute lecture followed by 30-60 minutes of networking.

2. Size

Although the campus is smaller when compared to other universities, all students have the opportunity to join Student Central which offers gym facilities, societies, and bars. However, we also have a number of our own societies on campus: football, investment, fundraising, social.

Despite smaller class sizes in comparison to other universities, feedback from lecturers is incredibly quick and seminars are interactive with a lot of discussion. It’s much easier to raise your hand in a class of 30 than in a class of 300!

3. ‘What about accommodation?’

I personally love Unite accommodation which can be found all over London, in particular, the Stratford One accommodation on the Olympic park which is located next to Westfield Shopping Centre and the tube station. Although prices in some areas can be expensive, I’ve found that this has partially been offset by the lower course fees of £6,000.

I hope that this helps!

Dan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending