The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
What about playing Rafael as RW and Smalling/Jones as RB, this will block out Ronaldo but still give us attacking intent on the RW, I am quite worried about the lack of Rafael's height against Ronaldo, and to me Valencia hasn't played well enough to get into the first XI just because he tracks back. Because having Jones as DM/second RB against Madrid will free up so much space for Ozil who is class.

De Gea
Jones - Vidic - Evans- Evra
Carrick - Cleverly
Rafael - Rooney - Nani
RVP
I think SAF will opt for Rio with Nemanja, as he did against Liverpool. I would have thought Kagawa to start on the left, but he wasn't in the squad on Sunday. With Rooney having to drop deep, it looks like our set up is almost identical to Madrid's. Rafael played up the pitch against West Ham in the FA Cup and it didn't quite work. Valenca is the right man to play on the right for this tie. As long as he drills in crosses when he has the space, instead of waiting for the defender to track back and block it, he should be okay. The biggest decision will be Cleverley or Jones. Both have their pros and cons, I think SAF will opt for Jones, especially with it being at the Bernabau. Wouldn't be surprised if Rooney takes up a position on the left and Kagawa is moved more central as the game develops.

DDG
Rafael-Rio-Vidic-Evra
Jones-Carrick
Valencia-Rooney-Kagawa
Van Persie
I'd play Carrick + Jones.

Jones to do the same with Ronaldo as he did with Fellaini. It's away so allow Rooney to drop deep and essentially be the AM with Carrick the deep lying mid, the same job Rooney did that day and with Newcastle.. and Chelsea? This leaves the right of Rafael + a winger. If we play Jones, i'd prefer Nani. Less reason for Valencias defensive attributes, Ronaldo out of the game (even if it does come at the expensive of midfield control) means their left may often be exposed. That's where Rafael + Nani play a big part.

Playing Carrick + Clev seems like more a 'it's our game v yours' deal. Playing Jones is more of an adaptation towards how RM play.

I'd allow for the right wing to be a more offensive outlet on the break t least, putting Kagawa on the left to help Rooney with the pressing (pressing Alonso out the game will be a key battle if we want a win)
(edited 11 years ago)
The excitement is fever pitch
Reply 1244
Although many of you and Sky Sports think Jones will be used to man mark Ronaldo, I personally don't think that's a good idea. Giving a 20 year old who's only made 13 appearances this season, the job of marking one of the world's best players at the Bernabeu? :s-smilie:

I mean it makes sense to let Jones man mark him, but I hope his inexperience isn't costly on the night.
we have to let them think about us too!
Reply 1246
SAF on Kagawa: "We didn't play him on Sunday because he had a long journey back from Jpn. He will certainly be involved at some point tomo."
Anyone else got tickets for RM at OT? Got them through a mate, buzzing:biggrin:
Reply 1248
Plus putting Jones to stop Bale is ok as Spurs don't have that many WC player who could utilise that space free'd up on doubling up on Ronaldo in the middle, with Real you have to think about how isolated Carrick can get in the midst of Real's midfield, plus players such as Alonso, Ozil, Benzema are easily able to do damage, thats why I think either we play Rafael as RM or Valencia plays much more deeper as I'd rather there was less of a push from us on the right than leaving us vulnerable in the mid.
Putting Jones to man mark Ronaldo would be better than putting no one to mark Ronaldo. I think at the Bernabeu, we will have to adopt to RM's game.

With what SAF said about Shinji, you've got to think he's going to start on the left. SAF never uses his as a sub.
Marking Fellaini is one thing, Ronaldo is more than just a physical presence he's got pace trickery and technique. In experience bringing Ronaldo down in or around the box isn't going to be helpful either. I'd prefer to make Valencia track back and follow him infield if need be. Arbeloa isn't exactly Alves going forward.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Marking Fellaini is one thing, Ronaldo is more than just a physical presence he's got pace trickery and technique. In experience bringing Ronaldo down in or around the box isn't going to be helpful either. I'd prefer to make Valencia track back and follow him infield if need be. Arbeloa isn't exactly Alves going forward.

The problem with that is Ronaldo will wander. We all saw him on the weekend, cut in from the right and score. I reckon that goal alone has/will confirm Jones starting.
Danny Boyle giving a big shout-out to Paul Scholes, if anyone missed it...

I don't understand why there is such a big focus on Ronaldo in the build-up to this game. Rooney and RVP are equally as dangerous, and while Varane is a cracking prospect, he's still inexperienced and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with two world-class strikers. I reckon it'll be a high scoring game, with Madrid edging it 3-2.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
I don't understand why there is such a big focus on Ronaldo in the build-up to this game. Rooney and RVP are equally as dangerous, and while Varane is a cracking prospect, he's still inexperienced and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with two world-class strikers. I reckon it'll be a high scoring game, with Madrid edging it 3-2.

You. Don't Understand why there is such a big focus on Ronaldo?????:confused:
Original post by TheInvincibles14

You've obviously forgot what Ronaldo did to Arsenal the last time he played them in the CL then.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I think SAF will opt for Rio with Nemanja, as he did against Liverpool. I would have thought Kagawa to start on the left, but he wasn't in the squad on Sunday. With Rooney having to drop deep, it looks like our set up is almost identical to Madrid's. Rafael played up the pitch against West Ham in the FA Cup and it didn't quite work. Valenca is the right man to play on the right for this tie. As long as he drills in crosses when he has the space, instead of waiting for the defender to track back and block it, he should be okay. The biggest decision will be Cleverley or Jones. Both have their pros and cons, I think SAF will opt for Jones, especially with it being at the Bernabau. Wouldn't be surprised if Rooney takes up a position on the left and Kagawa is moved more central as the game develops.

DDG
Rafael-Rio-Vidic-Evra
Jones-Carrick
Valencia-Rooney-Kagawa
Van Persie

I agree with the team choice. I feel it be important for Rooney to drop into midfield and close down their center midfielders to not allow them the time to pick the correct pass. I think it is important to press and close down the center mids as I feel with Vidic we could deal with the aerial side of the game if Madrid go wide and start to cross into the box. What do you think about the width and tempo we should play?
Original post by cheetahs56
You. Don't Understand why there is such a big focus on Ronaldo?????:confused:

Original post by mdajoka
You've obviously forgot what Ronaldo did to Arsenal the last time he played them in the CL then.

Both of you don't understand my point. I haven't seen RVP and Rooney mentioned much in the build up to the game yet they pose a similar threat to Ronaldo. One chance and RVP scores. Same applies to Rooney. I think that United are better equipped to deal with Ronaldo than Madrid are to deal with RVP/Rooney. Vidic back is a huge bonus, while Madrid's best CB (Pepe) is out so that obviously makes a difference.
Just listened to Football Weekly and Sid Lowe was saying what he has said previously, that not attacking Madrid and not exposing that space behind you is the way to beat them.
Original post by samiz20891
I agree with the team choice. I feel it be important for Rooney to drop into midfield and close down their center midfielders to not allow them the time to pick the correct pass. I think it is important to press and close down the center mids as I feel with Vidic we could deal with the aerial side of the game if Madrid go wide and start to cross into the box. What do you think about the width and tempo we should play?

With Kagawa likely to start on the left, most of our wide play will naturally be down the right. Robin and Wayne both have good headers on them so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the outlet of our potential goals. Seems more likely to come from a Rafael cross though. With Kagawa, Rooney, Carrick and Robin, there should be some slick passing and fast buildup play. I fear that we'll start fast, take the lead, then sit back and let Alonso and Ozil get a hold of the game. Although, we were good against Everton and Tottenham (for the most part) when we took the lead.

Latest