The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull in general

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KGW
It is a nice city but the only problem is there is no jobs....at all.

I live in Hull and one of the main reasons i'm going to uni is to get out of Hull, it is a dead end place for young people. Certainly no hope for youngsters/students and nothing is done about it. It is the worst place for unemployment in the UK, so be warned.

However, it has improved allot over the years with the places perhaps 5 years you wouldn't want to go to e.g. Orchard Park, Bransholme estates are much nicer now and calmer, there isn't much crime in Hull but you will see allot of closed shops, borded up houses and stuff because the recession just hit the city amazingly bad and most of the regeneration work just came to a standstill. There is signs of improvement with some companies such as Siemens investing in the city, with abit of hard work and investment the city will improve again and jobs will be created meaning more business' will buy into the city.
The centre has your usual shops and nice new shopping centre, but in the main part like Whitefriargate you'll see yet again allot of borded up shops.

It's good for a night out and the student population is great.

But i wouldn't base your uni on the city it is in, just look at the reputation of the uni, the course etc and decide if it's right for you.

I have firmed Central Lancashire and as anybody knows Preston is a bit of a ****hole but the course is fantastic and so is the uni so thats the main thing personally to me

I am doing the exact opposite as you for the exact same reason. I live in Preston and its dead for jobs, looks rubbish and there is nothing here that is fun.

after nearly 18 years here I am bored so I suppose just 3 in Hull, a new place, will be ok. But yeah, the course is the most important bit. Make sure you are completely happy with the uni and the accommodation.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by KGW
It is a nice city but the only problem is there is no jobs....at all.

I live in Hull and one of the main reasons i'm going to uni is to get out of Hull, it is a dead end place for young people. Certainly no hope for youngsters/students and nothing is done about it. It is the worst place for unemployment in the UK, so be warned.

However, it has improved allot over the years with the places perhaps 5 years you wouldn't want to go to e.g. Orchard Park, Bransholme estates are much nicer now and calmer, there isn't much crime in Hull but you will see allot of closed shops, borded up houses and stuff because the recession just hit the city amazingly bad and most of the regeneration work just came to a standstill. There is signs of improvement with some companies such as Siemens investing in the city, with abit of hard work and investment the city will improve again and jobs will be created meaning more business' will buy into the city.
The centre has your usual shops and nice new shopping centre, but in the main part like Whitefriargate you'll see yet again allot of borded up shops.

It's good for a night out and the student population is great.

But i wouldn't base your uni on the city it is in, just look at the reputation of the uni, the course etc and decide if it's right for you.

I have firmed Central Lancashire and as anybody knows Preston is a bit of a ****hole but the course is fantastic and so is the uni so thats the main thing personally to me

Original post by Gemma_Pascoe
Thanks, thats really useful! - sucks abit about the lack of jobs though as i obviously need one when im at uni.
and thats a coinsidence - i currently live in preston, and will be moving away for uni!
So if you have any questions i'll be happy to answer them :smile:
Yeah, hulls my insurance...i think the reputation of the uni seems to be pretty good but obviously its maybe not as good as some others
Your right in saying UCLAN is really good - the only reason im not going there is because i live here and i wanted to move away abit :smile:

To be honest, I haven't had a problem finding a job since I've been at uni and I'm halfway through my second year...
Reply 22
I think i get what you mean about the boarded up shops and stuff...to be honest, its not unusual in preston at the moment either :smile:

Original post by KGW
'rachamy' i would say a fair share of town is boarded up, behind BHS for example thats disgusting. Half of that street from Mcdonalds to Prinny Quay is, 60% of whitefriargate and everything to the left of St Stephens, i mean we still have your normal shops including Superdry, A huge Primark etc but i'm just warning them that seeing boarded up shops etc isn't unusual in Hull, they have tried improving it by putting nice pictures of Hull in the windows but still.

Since the funding was stopped its normal to see streets such as:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2448/3844612199_2f80d21ce6_z.jpg?zz=1
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2714/4110071228_a59ef67d7d_z.jpg?zz=1
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/63/84/638457_d144ae92.jpg

These are streets which was due to be regenerated and it just never happened

Whitfriargate:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3271/3852621323_f9a1e372d6_z.jpg?zz=1
Thats the main sight down there, however they are trying to improve it

Other pictures:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3550/3818456924_ff630d2c57_z.jpg?zz=1

BUT you then only need to look at the pictures on this website to see how beautiful the city is, it isn't all doom and gloom in Hull, it will most definitely improve and become a thriving city again

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=981142&page=14

THE best thing about Hull is honestly how cheap everything is.
It is a great city, the reputation needn't be listened too.
Reply 23
It's an amazing city though, i do love it
Reply 24
Original post by Gemma_Pascoe
Obviously Hull has a pretty bad reputation, but theres not alot of info to go on . Whats it like as a place to live as a student? I know decisions for uni shouldn't be made on this alone, but i don't wanna be in a place for 3 years if i don't like it, and id definetly like somewhere where i can have a decent night out! :smile:

Two of my friends go there and they love it! I went to visit them twice and it's really good, would recommend it!
Tbh though, any uni you go to, as long as you have an open mind, you'll love it, it's alot about the people :smile:
But yeah, there's good clubs and loads of shops and stuff, as good as any !
I live in Hull and it isn't THAT bad hahaha. Granted I'm leaving in September... :P
Reply 26
I've only been to Hull once but it seemed very nice. The centre was smart and bustling, and the area where the uni was was all tree lined avenues. Apparently East Hull out by the docks is the rough bit?
Reply 27
East Hull isn't the nicest area, neither is Bransholme, Orchard Park or North Hull along with Gypseville and Boothferry Estate but they're not as bad as they used to be or people make out. The newer estates such as Kingswood are very modern, clean and friendly though.

Parts of Beverley Road and Spring Bank is where you will find many of Hulls foreign inhabitants, we don't have that many tbh, it seems a very popular destination for the Polish so don't be shocked when you see allot of 'Polski Skleps'.
Reply 28
Original post by KGW
East Hull isn't the nicest area, neither is Bransholme, Orchard Park or North Hull along with Gypseville and Boothferry Estate but they're not as bad as they used to be or people make out. The newer estates such as Kingswood are very modern, clean and friendly though.

Parts of Beverley Road and Spring Bank is where you will find many of Hulls foreign inhabitants, we don't have that many tbh, it seems a very popular destination for the Polish so don't be shocked when you see allot of 'Polski Skleps'.

East Hull isn't bad at all, compared to Orchard Park and certain parts of Brandsholme.

also, if you're used to fast Internet, you'll be in shock cause its crap here. Slower than 85% of the UK.
Original post by rachamy
East Hull isn't bad at all, compared to Orchard Park and certain parts of Brandsholme.

also, if you're used to fast Internet, you'll be in shock cause its crap here. Slower than 85% of the UK.

It can be a bit hit and miss I think, I get 15Mb so it isn't entirely pedestrian where I am. Hull has a great Internet infrastructure, it's just a bit underutilised in certain parts of the city.
Original post by russellsteapot
It can be a bit hit and miss I think, I get 15Mb so it isn't entirely pedestrian where I am. Hull has a great Internet infrastructure, it's just a bit underutilised in certain parts of the city.

Jesus where do you live? :eek:

The internet is awful here in hull, during peak hours playing even youtube videos is impossible. Damn you Kcom! I'd kill for virgin to make a move and install fibre optic and create some competition.
Besides all this, the place isn't too bad :smile:
Reply 31
I might be working for KCOM if my interview goes well haha

but yeah my internet is SOOO slow my PING is 79ms Download speed 3.58mbps and upload is 0.85mbps

For the prices we pay KC, we should have some superfast internet speeds
Reply 32
Original post by KGW
I might be working for KCOM if my interview goes well haha

but yeah my internet is SOOO slow my PING is 79ms Download speed 3.58mbps and upload is 0.85mbps

For the prices we pay KC, we should have some superfast internet speeds

I've just been doing some work exp. for KCOM and they have openings coming up so I'm hoping I get a job too ha. :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by rachamy
I've just been doing some work exp. for KCOM and they have openings coming up so I'm hoping I get a job too ha. :biggrin:

Haha i hope you get one :biggrin: I have a telephone interview today at 3.15
Reply 34
Original post by KGW
Haha i hope you get one :biggrin: I have a telephone interview today at 3.15

Good luck! :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
ok, i cba to look through all the replies so far. what i will say is Hull is the same as everywhere else in the country, there is good and bad. yes there are bad areas but unless you live there you have no need to go there. as a student you will be living in the cottingham road area or the lawns which are both very nice areas. as for hull itself, there are a lot of shops, shopping centres and retail parks. there is also plenty of nightlife and places to do things. the uni has probably more than enough for you if you didnt want to venture in to town.
Reply 36
I absoloutely love Hull. I'm local as I live a half an hour train ride from hull but when I go to Uni I want to go to Hull. There is some nice parks and area's of the city, nice shops, cafe's, coffee places and people from Hull are generally friendly. There's just the odd people that do let Hull down
Reply 37
The Old Town, university area and Cottingham are really nice places - they are the main student areas as far as I know; I've only been here since last September and I've had no trouble settling in at all. I feel safe enough to go out and stay out until the early hours of morning, so it's not a bad place at all. Hull doesn't really deserve the bad reputation that it has - well not the parts I've visited anyway. I'd recommend looking around the city itself before making a decision as I only got to see the uni and Hull itself when I started moving into my accommodation so I didn't know what to expect but luckily it turned out to be a nice surprise.

Quick Reply

Latest