The Student Room Group

Aqa AS History - c1500 Reformation

Hi,

Is anyone doing this course? I'd like to share and compare notes with someone (Luther, Calvin etc) . Equally, with the Struggle for Supremacy course.
Doing exactly the same units as you!! What are you struggling with? Personally, I find European history much easier than the British bit, but I think that might be largely down to our british history teacher being, lets say, a bit rubbish!
Reply 2
What part of it are you struggling with?
Reply 3
Original post by calla_lily
Doing exactly the same units as you!! What are you struggling with? Personally, I find European history much easier than the British bit, but I think that might be largely down to our british history teacher being, lets say, a bit rubbish!

Original post by Mod Calm
What part of it are you struggling with?

Oh wow, I've never found anyone doing these courses! I struggle with the 12 markers on the European side, they all seem a bit random. For the 12 marker, my teacher tells me to write about 5 reasons, and one of the questions asked "Why did Frederick the Wise protect Luther"...

It's also a bit annoying as there aren't any revision guides
Reply 4
Original post by Alex-Torres
Oh wow, I've never found anyone doing these courses! I struggle with the 12 markers on the European side, they all seem a bit random. For the 12 marker, my teacher tells me to write about 5 reasons, and one of the questions asked "Why did Frederick the Wise protect Luther"...

With regard to your question "Why did Frederick the Wise protect Luther" ... What reasons are you thinking about at the moment? Also, I'd define him as 'the Elector of Saxony' and situate him in the political context of the Holy Roman Empire. That might make it easier for you to think about the significance of his actions and also give you a clue as to his motivations.

P.s. Nice profile picture of Calvin, haha. Very appropriate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Mod Calm
With regard to your question "Why did Frederick the Wise protect Luther" ... What reasons are you thinking about at the moment? Also, I'd define him as 'the Elector of Saxony' and situate him in the political context of the Holy Roman Empire. That might make it easier for you to think about the significance of his actions and also give you a clue as to his motivations.

P.s. Nice profile picture of Calvin, haha. Very appropriate.

Well Ive thought:
1.) To protct Frederick's 17000 holy relics, because Luther publicised him.
2.) Luther publically made his University famous, the University of Wittenburg
3.) Duke George was against Luther, and as a brother, they were in fierce competition

Yeh, Calvin's ace :tongue:
Original post by Alex-Torres

Don't you think 5 reasons seems a bit much for a 12 mark question?? I suppose you could but our teacher tells us to write about 3 reasons for the 12 marks question as a guide unless we can think of more with a good conclusion and a very short introduction. You must remember that in the exam you have about 10/15 minuted for this question so you won't have the time to write very much. A page at most really (depending on the size of your writing! :tongue:)

Loving the picture of Calvin!! We are studying him at the moment!!:biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by lisa96
What grade did u get in this exam? I'm currently studying this unit :smile: Do you have any tips on how to do well?

I learnt the whole textbook and got a C!!! I wouldn't know what to suggest sorry, probably read around your subject.
Reply 8
Original post by lisa96
Which exam did you find easier?

I got a B in the English History and a C in the German - I revised equally for both.
Original post by lisa96
Hi what grades did u get in both units? Do you have any tips on how to do well ? :smile: Thanks

I mainly used the textbook, did some past papers and got high As in both my papers, very close to full marks. As for tips, make sure you know the dates everything happened, the reasons why and the implications. I'm sure from gcse you've done something along the lines of PEE so just continue along this lines and never use the phrase 'I think'!! :smile:
Original post by lisa96
How was the timing for this exam?

Yeah its fine. Of course you're always pushed for time in every exam, but its manageable. A short bullet point plan is good. I'd never actually practised a whole paper for either exam but spend about 12 minutes on the 12 mark question and 24 minutes on the 24 mark question, it worked fine for me! Remember 1 mark per minute and you can't go wrong!! The source question on the British paper you can spend a bit more time on because that paper in 1h 30m. I wouldn't worry, once you've been through the course, you'll wonder what you were even worrying about at the beginning!! :smile:
Bump image.jpg
Reply 12
Here are my notes on the radicals for 'share and compare' or whatever:

Fairly confident about the course. For all those revising, the AQA book alone is not enough, though its better on Reformation than my other paper (Nazi Germany) where it is just pathetic. I can share some more notes if any wants, I would like some stuff on the Counter-Reformation, since that part of the course is horrible and bitty.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending